What kind of room do family of 4 with teens get on the NCL PEARL?

sillysoup

Hi,

We are going to book an NCL Pearl cruise for Aug 23,2009.

We have 2 boys 16 and 14,thought about the mini suite. Any suggestions for a nervous mother? Not crazy about them across the hall. I noticed someone from PA going the same week. If you happen to read this,what are you doing with your boys?

Thanks again

Hi,

We have 2 boys 16 and 14,thought about the mini suite. Any suggestions for a nervous mother? Not crazy about them across the hall. I noticed someone from PA going the same week. If you happen to read this,what are you doing with your boys?

Thanks again

I think it would be very tight and crowded in a mini-suite. If you can swing it, an AB Suite would be perfect for your family. The boys would have their own bedroom (although very small) and their own bathroom. Plus you have the luxury of a butler and concierge and also breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

• Administrators
Hi,

Thanks again

Minisuite is sort of a misnomer on the NCL ships. It's more like "deluxe balcony." Compared to a regular balcony cabin the minisuite is a little bit larger/longer, contains a tub as well as a shower, has a slightly larger balcony, and there's a curtain you can pull between the bed and the sitting area. It's not a true "suite" and doesn't include the amenities of NCL's penthouses and suites such as butler/concierge.

Here's a link to a photo of a mini on the Gem (the Pearl's newer sister ship) -- http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2132803680101417785IoLzrz

If you go to webshots and search for "NCL mini" you can see lots of photos of them. Hopefully that info will be helpful as you decide.

We have sailed in regular-sized balcony and ocean-view cabins. Sure, it's a bit tight, but we were rarely in the cabin at the same time anyway. Our sons aren't primpers - they shower, dress, comb, and go... so sharing one bath wasn't much of an issue, either.

They are now young 20's, but my husband and I will still share a normal sized cabin with them should they decide to go with us next year. If I'm payin' their way, I utilize those 3rd and 4th person rates!

We did the Pearl to Alaska this summer in a "mini" with an 11 and 14 year old. Although it worked, I would not do NCL or that size of room again. We did spend a lot of time on our balcony, especially in Glacier Bay and a lot of time off ship.

We've done Princess in the past and we worked fine in their "mini" and there were a lot more activities on board for everyone to do, quality of food, service, etc was much higher as well. I also hear HAL does a great job in Alaska too. We've taken them to Mexico many times and they are always top notch.

I wouldn't want mine across the hall either so we always try to get a room that can accomodate the 4 of us. As others have stated the "mini" suite on the Pearl is really a misnomer but you can make it work. Also, they sleep in the same bed. There is no pull down bunk as other lines have in their minis. If they don't like spooning with their brother, you may have issues :)

Archived