Star Princess - PS and PH Suites

abbydancer2003

Hi,

We're currently booked in a Mini-suite on the Star for February 2010. We're considering changing to a full suite.

What's the difference between a PH and PS suite (besides price)? Is it just location - midship vs aft?

We like ship motion and quiet. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Hi,

We're currently booked in a Mini-suite on the Star for February 2010. We're considering changing to a full suite.

What's the difference between a PH and PS suite (besides price)? Is it just location - midship vs aft?

We like ship motion and quiet. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

There isn't any difference in the rooms -- it is just the location. I would go for mid ship if the price isn't that much different.

The Penthouse suites are not only midship but have the largest balconies on the Star because they're located on the Caribe deck. The balcony will also be half covered/half uncovered. We had one for a cruise and it was the best cabin we've ever had by far.

The other suite is located in the aft and you will feel more movement. Some people love it, some people don't. (I didn't care for it on the Crown). You may also have a beam on your balcony depending on which suite you chose and your balcony will be fully covered and not as big as those on Caribe.

My personal opinion is that Princess ruined the Penthouse suites on the Caribbean Princess and on when they took them from the Caribe deck and placed them on the Riveria deck directly below the pool decks. The balconies are not as nice and you now hear noise.

My personal opinion is that Princess ruined the Penthouse suites on the Caribbean Princess and on when they took them from the Caribe deck and placed them on the Riveria deck directly below the pool decks. The balconies are not as nice and you now hear noise.

I totally agree here. The PS suites on the larger ships located under the pool deck are a huge mistake by Princess. We have sailed with some that were upgraded to these PS suites (evidentally they aren't selling to well because of the location) and some have regreted accepting the upgrade after they find out what kind of noise they had to put up with.

What in the world was Princess thinking here?

As for the PH suites on the Grand Class, just booked one of these for a 14 day sailing next January. Have been to cocktail parties in them before so know they are fabulous. Can't wait!

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like we will be going ahead and changing our booking in the next few weeks.

If we do opt for the PH suites on the Star, are some better than others? I think they are mostly on the back of the Caribe Deck with one on Baja. We do love ship motion, but like quiet. Any gotcha's with any of these?

Note - The PS vs PH is not a done deal yet, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks much!

abby

If you like motion and quiet why not book one of the VS suites on Dolphin deck?

We have stayed in several of the PH suites and although convenient, nothing compares to the privacy of an aft VS suite imho.

Mike:)

I think I meant to ask in my last post:

If we do opt for the PH suites on the Star, are some better than others? I think they are mostly on the back of the Caribe Deck with one on Baja. We do love ship motion, but like quiet. Any gotcha's with any of these?

Also, what's the difference between PS on the Baja and Caribe deck and VS on the Dolphin deck? I'm a bit confused by by the various categories.

The help I am receiving here is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I think I meant to ask in my last post:

Also, what's the difference between PS on the Baja and Caribe deck and VS on the Dolphin deck? I'm a bit confused by by the various categories.

The help I am receiving here is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

The PH on Caribe are located in the middle of the ship, great location. It's nice and easy to walk from there to anywhere. None of the PH on in the aft.

Again, the main difference is the balcony. The balconies on the PH suites on the Star on the Caribe deck are amazing. The balconies in the aft are smaller and totally covered.

I totally agree here. The PS suites on the larger ships located under the pool deck are a huge mistake by Princess. We have sailed with some that were upgraded to these PS suites (evidentally they aren't selling to well because of the location) and some have regreted accepting the upgrade after they find out what kind of noise they had to put up with.

What in the world was Princess thinking here?

As for the PH suites on the Grand Class, just booked one of these for a 14 day sailing next January. Have been to cocktail parties in them before so know they are fabulous. Can't wait!

Totally agree. We booked an Aft PS on the Crown and the TA asked if we wanted to allow Princess to upgrade to a PH. I looked at the location and told her to tell them "no upgrade." I know my balcony will have the dreaded beams, but I much prefer that to the noise from the pool deck.

Think I'll have to look for a cruise on the Star :)

I was in both a VS and a PS on the Grand (sister ship to the Star) this summer and liked them both very much. While the cabin layout is essentially the same between VS, PS and PH (except there was no desk in the living room of the VS suite) the main difference is the location and perhaps the balcony size. The balconies were very large in both the VS and PS I had this summer with the PS being slightly larger. One major difference PS and PH suites is the view from your balcony. Do you want the view from the side of the ship or the view from the back? Do you like to hear the wake? If so, the PS is the cabin for you. Also, do you like to stand at your balcony railing and look down at water or at another deck of balconies? If you want to look down at water you should choose the PS. If you want to look at other balconies then choose the PH as they overlook the Dolphin deck balconies below.

Thanks so much.

On the Star the PS suites are at the back of the Caribe deck, with one on the Baja. If we go the PS route, are any of the suites a better choice than any others?

Also, I've been reading on other threads about the "dreaded beam" and the equally "dreaded vent". Is that an issue on the Star?

We had the beam on D736. It blocked the view from the living room couch, but wasn't a huge deal to us. We supposedly had the "dreaded vent" with B749 but if I hadn't read about it on these boards I would never have known it supposedly existed. We never heard it, even when sitting on the balcony in port. These cabins are both on the Grand. I wouldn't hesitate to book either of these cabins, but I would give the slight edge to B749 as it was slightly larger (and also about $300 more!). Both balconies had plenty of room for two teak loungers with small side tables and a teak dining table with four chairs. The balcony on B749 had lots of extra room as well.

Just fyi we have had the VS and PH suites several times on the grand class ships and prefer the privacy afforded by the VS. On the PH balcony it is half exposed and when dining there the decks from above can look down and we felt a little more exposed than we liked. I don't think the VS balconies are as deep but they are wider. We have hosted the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on our VS balcony for 8 people with no problems.

It is all just a matter of your preferences, convenience PH+, privacy VS+ and mid-ship location versus aft location.

Mike:)

Archived