Room comparisons and other ?s

storm15

Just back from the SKY and our first cruise, I really liked cruising. However, my hubby was not happy with the small size of our Deck 9 balcony cabin, are the balcony cabins on other NCL ships bigger?

Also, We sort of expected a nicer atmosphere in the buffet. Are there ships that offer a different buffet experience or are they all pretty much the same?

I can't say, as I haven't yet cruised on NCL (my first on this line is coming up in about 42 days....Yeah!!!)

but from what I've read here, the NCL cabins are all smaller than what you might find on other lines. Since we don't stay in our cabin for more than sleeping, usually, I hope it won't be a problem.

As for the buffet -- I know most of the lines have buffets. We found Carnivals to be pretty chaotic and not laid out very well; Princess's was much more organized and we never had trouble finding seats, as we did on Carnival. But again, I can't speak for NCL.

Just back from the SKY and our first cruise, I really liked cruising. However, my hubby was not happy with the small size of our Deck 9 balcony cabin, are the balcony cabins on other NCL ships bigger?

Also, We sort of expected a nicer atmosphere in the buffet. Are there ships that offer a different buffet experience or are they all pretty much the same?

Cabins on the Sky are a little smaller than many NCL ships and other lines as well, but they are not much smaller. You will find cruise ships do not have oversized cabins or balconies. The idea is to get you out and about, thus they are not designed to keep people in their cabins. RCI, Princess and NCl all offer similar sq feet, some a little larger, some smaller. HAL has the largest cabins aside from Disney.

As for the buffet, again, the newer, larger ships will have a better lay out, but buffets are just that, a place to grab a quick bite, most will remind you of Golden Coral at the best. We think NCL buffets are better than Princes and not as good as Celebrity and HAL. They serve the purpose.

Hope this helps you understand the differences and similarities to a degree. Remember the Sky is just a tiny bit older than many of the NCL ships and it was not originally designed for or by NCL, but purchased 1/2 built.

Nita

I will say that while the food in the NCL buffets are good (as good as a buffet can be), they tend to be cafeteria looking (at least on the Star and the Sun). I have had more comfortable settings on other cruise lines.

Having said that, if I am eating in the buffet I am usually not looking for a fine dinning experience and NCL suites me just fine.

I will say that while the food in the NCL buffets are good (as good as a buffet can be), they tend to be cafeteria looking (at least on the Star and the Sun). I have had more comfortable settings on other cruise lines.

Having said that, if I am eating in the buffet I am usually not looking for a fine dinning experience and NCL suites me just fine.

this certainly is true about those 2 ships, but the newer class ships have stations and are laid out very nicely. (still a buffet, no getting around that)

Nita

NCL cabins tend to be about 10-15% smaller than other cruise lines-it's one of the common complaints about NCL...I.E.,balcony cabins on the Sky are roughly 160 sq. ft. with a balcony of 48-54 sq.ft...On RCI' Freedom Class ships,standard balcony cabins are 200-214 sq.ft and the balconies are hugh at 68-74 sq.ft...Junior suites are even nicer at 317 sq. ft with a 101 sq ft. balcony...if you like BIG balconies(like we do!),try RCI's FREEDOM class,HAL's Deluxe Verandah Suites,Carnival's Cat 9 balcony cabins on NEWER ships...also most AFT cabins have bigger balconies on ALL ships..BTW,balcnies on the newer NCL ships are actually SMALLER,though the cabins itself are larger.....buffets are buffets....Disney's is nice,so is HAL's and RCI's IMO.......ALWAYS GO ON THE NEWER SHIPS (ships built after 1999)....

Big Al

Thanks! Sounds like we just need to try a newer ship for a longer cruise (oh the pain...:) ) as for the buffet, we found the food fine, but I guess we were comparing it to the ones at the all inclusives we have been too with the pretty ice sculptures, flowers etc. No biggie just was wondering if this was the norm.

Thanks! Sounds like we just need to try a newer ship for a longer cruise (oh the pain...:) ) as for the buffet, we found the food fine, but I guess we were comparing it to the ones at the all inclusives we have been too with the pretty ice sculptures, flowers etc. No biggie just was wondering if this was the norm.
The olden days, you would see the ice scultures on the midnight buffet, plus lots of carved fruits, etc, but those days are long gone. I think the ships found people were just not attending them as much or were just there to take pictures and food was being wasted. A few lines still might do this once or twice per cruise.

Now go book that 7 day cruise and see how different they really are.

Nita

Archived