FAA computer problems causing flight delays

netizen2

On CNN dot com:

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Every major airport in the United States was experiencing flight delays Tuesday afternoon because of a communications breakdown at a Federal Aviation Administration facility, the administration said.

Flights at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport were delayed Tuesday afternoon.

The facility south of Atlanta is having problems processing data, requiring that all flight-plan information be processed through a facility in Salt Lake City, Utah. The two facilities process all flight plans for commercial and general aviation flights in the United States, said FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen.

The administration said there are no radar outages and said they have not lost contact with any planes. The flights currently in the air have flight plans and should arrive safely at their destinations, said CNN aviation expert Miles O'Brien.

But that doesn't mean the situation won't cause headaches at the airport.

"This has potential as time goes on to turn into a much bigger mess," O'Brien said.

The problem appeared similar to a June 8, 2007, computer glitch that caused severe flight delays and some cancellations along the East Coast.

Don't Miss

FAA: Real-time flight delays

On the FAA's Web site, delays were being reported at all 40 airports located on the administration's flight information map.

The Web site, which normally lists the length of expected flight delays, was no longer listing that information Tuesday afternoon.

The total number of flights affected was unknown

Yes, I just got back from Seatac to pick up my son. As I was waiting for his flight, which apparently left just in time from Atlanta to avoid this problem, I watched the arrival board go crazy.

Many of the flights went from "on-time" to having major delays.

Archived