Luggage weight limit...

dan08

Hi Dan

The 32kg limit only refers to any one piece of luggage, not your total. As long as you can carry it, you can take it.:D

You will read about passengers who take boxes of water and soft drinks and that's not a problem. Only if you are flying of course.

Jenny

Just a quick one...

The weight limit for your luggage is 32kg. Within the 32kg does it include carry on / hand luggage? or are they referring the suit case or main luggage?

Hi Dan,

They are really good on the amount of luggage everyone takes on board and while they have a guideline, I don't know if anyone actually gets checked for the weight.

People tend to take way more than they normally would, like costumes for theme nights and I know I always take like a medicine bag full of all sorts of things. And power boards the list goes on.

I could be way off the mark here, but if anyone has had an issue, I'm sure they will say.

If you can get it to the ship, you can take whatever you want. Bear in mind, they are handled by wharfies and if they are too heavy, they might get thrown about a bit.

Carry on luggage has a size restriction, as it needs to fit through the x-ray machine, but they can also be heavy and as many as you can carry.

If you can get it to the ship, you can take whatever you want. Bear in mind, they are handled by wharfies and if they are too heavy, they might get thrown about a bit.

Carry on luggage has a size restriction, as it needs to fit through the x-ray machine, but they can also be heavy and as many as you can carry.

ok so what size are we talking for carry on luggage??

I was going to take a small suitcase with wheels as carry on?

what size fits thru the xray machine?

ok so what size are we talking for carry on luggage??

I was going to take a small suitcase with wheels as carry on?

what size fits thru the xray machine?

I don't have specific sizes on me. The x-ray units are the same as the ones in the airport. Can be any length, but will only screen approx 500 wide and 400 high.

In trying to find an answer, P&O now has a size restriction for checked baggage too, with no weight mentioned.

P&O Cruises carries all personal luggage provided each item conforms to the size limits of no more than 140cm x 60cm x 40cm and is stowed in your passenger cabin. Please remember to clearly write your cabin number, name, address and telephone number on the luggage tags provided in your ticket wallet and attach these to your baggage prior to arriving at the wharf.

The weight limitation of 32kg for each piece of luggage is for Occupational, Health and Safety reasons for the people handling it. There is nothing to stop you taking two suitcases each, as long as each one weighs less than 32kg.

If people have to fly to get to the ship, naturally airline weight restrictions apply.:):)

In trying to find an answer, P&O now has a size restriction for checked baggage too, with no weight mentioned.

P&O Cruises carries all personal luggage provided each item conforms to the size limits of no more than 140cm x 60cm x 40cm and is stowed in your passenger cabin. Please remember to clearly write your cabin number, name, address and telephone number on the luggage tags provided in your ticket wallet and attach these to your baggage prior to arriving at the wharf.

Those size limits were in the brochure when we did our Pacific Sun cruise but I think they disappeared after that:confused: .

Ela 2 is right as the 32kgs is OH&S - a friend use to work as a porter at the airport and he said cruise baggage is the worst to load it is all so heavy and everyone over packs!

Just read the current P&O brochure (issued April 08) - hard top find info but it is there on page 72 bottom right and as mention previously it states:

"Luggage P&O Cruises carries all personal luggage, provided each item conforms to the size limits of no more than 140cm x 60cm x 40cm and does not exceed 32kg in weight. For passengers booking airfares, additional airline luggage restrictions will apply."

I was told that if you take the P&O air deal they include 1 x checked peice but as per the airline restirctions which is a max 20kgs so if you have more you will need to pay extra to the airline.

I was told that if you take the P&O air deal they include 1 x checked peice but as per the airline restirctions which is a max 20kgs so if you have more you will need to pay extra to the airline.

P & O usually use Virgin for their flights. Their luggage limit used to be 20kg, but I understand it is now 23kg, but the bag costs an extra $8 if pre-booked. I do not know if the P & O/Princess flights include the charge for luggage. Surely it would have to. If this is not prepaid, the charge when you check in at the airport is $20. Ouch!!

The weight limit with Qantas is 32kg, but the fare is often higher than with Virgin - not always though.:):)

I am going on a cruise next year and called P & O they told me I could take one piece per person checked without charge... on the plane no matter what airline they use. The only restriction was by the airline and the restrictions they may apply... I read DJ are changing theirs to 23kg nrxt week.:)

I took my luggage on Virgin going down to Sydney for our PD cruise, it was over weight. They put a heavy sticker on it, no extra charge.

Coming back the girl would not let me go through unless I paid extra, problem was that she couldn't put the payment through the system and told me I had to give her $20 cash. My daughter was not happy and did ask her name, I was just tired and gave her the money so I could leave. Now looking back on that I should have said I only have a card no cash.

I have only just thought of this so I might check it out and get back to you all and see what the deal is.

If people have to fly to get to the ship, naturally airline weight restrictions apply.:):)

We have flown for our last 2 cruises & also the next one. I've found this has really helped me with the overpacking problem & I am much better now at judging what I will wear & only packing one or 2 extra "in case" outfits instead of 6!

Just watch out for jetstar.

Flew home from our cruise with them last year, knew we would be a little over with our luggage, we were actually ten kilos over and had to cough up nearly $150 for our troubles.

Yeah I know..... you have to read the fine print. Jetstar may seem like a budget airline but they are also merciless when it comes to weight. Qantas or Virgin for us now.

Happy cruising.

Just watch out for jetstar.

Flew home from our cruise with them last year, knew we would be a little over with our luggage, we were actually ten kilos over and had to cough up nearly $150 for our troubles.

Yeah I know..... you have to read the fine print. Jetstar may seem like a budget airline but they are also merciless when it comes to weight. Qantas or Virgin for us now.

Happy cruising.

Wow, now that would have been a surprise and not a nice one. Pleased I only had hand over $20 cash!

Note for future reference, don't fly Jetstar when heading to or from a cruise.

Hi Glenda,

I have amended your wording a bit (hope you don't mind), but this is how we feel!!:):)

Hi Evon,

I agree :)

Actually my kids hate when I book them Jetstar, and one actually refuses to fly with them. I have been known to book them for the right price.

I flew on one of their early flights (when they just began) out of Avalon and it really felt like third world airways. They have improved a little, but there are a huge amount of stories about them.

I took my luggage on Virgin going down to Sydney for our PD cruise, it was over weight. They put a heavy sticker on it, no extra charge.

Coming back the girl would not let me go through unless I paid extra, problem was that she couldn't put the payment through the system and told me I had to give her $20 cash. My daughter was not happy and did ask her name, I was just tired and gave her the money so I could leave. Now looking back on that I should have said I only have a card no cash.

I have only just thought of this so I might check it out and get back to you all and see what the deal is.

From 1st September, the Virgin cheap fares do not cover for checked baggage. For any passenger that checks in a sutcase, there is a booking fee. If you arrive without booking the luggage in, the fee escalates. For Newcastle to Brisbane, the fee is $8 per passenger when prebooked, or a $20 charge at the terminal.

We have just bought some $55 fares for next June's cruise out of Brisbane, and are travelling pretty light. Have paid an extra $8 on one ticket so we can have one 23kg suitcase between the 3 of us.

Hi all,

We've travelled 4 times with Jetstar, to Rockhampton, Hamilton Island and twice to Melbourne. In my opinion, they have been terrific.

Last time we went to Melbourne I threw all my winter wardrobe in the suitcase and it was 23kg from memory. Not a problem to them at all and the flight was chockas too. I guess everyone has good and bad dealings with all airlines and cruiselines too.

Jenny

Hi all,

We've travelled 4 times with Jetstar, to Rockhampton, Hamilton Island and twice to Melbourne. In my opinion, they have been terrific.

Last time we went to Melbourne I threw all my winter wardrobe in the suitcase and it was 23kg from memory. Not a problem to them at all and the flight was chockas too. I guess everyone has good and bad dealings with all airlines and cruiselines too.

Jenny

You are right Jenny, I have had good experiences with Jetstar too.

But there are a lot of Jetstar stories that are quite interesting.

I think using Jetstar from most regional cities you get fabulous service as is with most airlines. City to city not so much. We do Mackay to Brissy and back quite a bit and Brissy to Melb quite a lot too.

When you hit the larger cities that's when things can go wrong as the staff are dealing with a much greater volume of passengers, some staff can be a little grumpy as you never know what they have had to deal with before you and some can really stick to the rules.

Hence my Virginblue experience that was unusual too, Brissy no charge for the weight, Sydney $20. The reason they couldn't add the charge was that it was a P&O booked flight which didn't allow extra charge in the system. So she chose to take cash, as my daughter pointed out she probably made a fortune with all the P&O passengers that day!

Hi cruisers, we have never had a problem with Virgin, but have had with the flying kangaroo. would not go Jetstar.

Hi Glenda...do you live in Mackay ???

we live Bucasia beach..

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi Lorraine,

A couple of my kids do and a nephew who is in Bucasia also. I visit the kids a bit, but mostly I am the airline booker for them all.

I am seriously thinking about moving up there to be closer to the kids.

Glenda

Archived