Is this typical? Agency/OBC

laurenfl15

I was excited today to see my cruise price dropping and that I was eligible for a 60.00 onboard credit!

Until... I called the travel agency that i made the reservation with and requested for them to take care of getting the credit. (I used an online website... this agency quoted me the cheapest... and i called and book.) They informed me that any change made would result in a 50.00 dollar charge. Therefore in order to get my 60 dollar onboard credit.. i would have to pay 50 bucks!

I was pretty shocked! I understand that I likely signed a contract or in somehow agreed to this. It just seems like poor customer service. (then again im new at this so maybe its typical)

Can you guys tell me if this is out of line? Do you have any suggestions? Or am i pretty much out of luck?

That is why I NEVER use a TA. The make their money on commisions. If the price drops and you ask them about it, they lose some commission. That is why I always use my PVP with Carnival. They don't get a commission and are more than happy to give you the lower prices. I just got a $210 OBC yesterday during their 1 day sale.

I was excited today to see my cruise price dropping and that I was eligible for a 60.00 onboard credit!

Until... I called the travel agency that i made the reservation with and requested for them to take care of getting the credit. (I used an online website... this agency quoted me the cheapest... and i called and book.) They informed me that any change made would result in a 50.00 dollar charge. Therefore in order to get my 60 dollar onboard credit.. i would have to pay 50 bucks!

I was pretty shocked! I understand that I likely signed a contract or in somehow agreed to this. It just seems like poor customer service. (then again im new at this so maybe its typical)

Can you guys tell me if this is out of line? Do you have any suggestions? Or am i pretty much out of luck?

That is why I NEVER use a TA. The make their money on commisions. If the price drops and you ask them about it, they lose some commission. That is why I always use my PVP with Carnival. They don't get a commission and are more than happy to give you the lower prices. I just got a $210 OBC yesterday during their 1 day sale.

How much commission does a TA make on a cruise, percentage wise, I mean.

I used an agency like the OP that charged me a $50.00 change fee.:mad: I was not happy with their service or the fees! Boy, did I get slammed for booking the lowest price bid. Now with all of the service fees etc, I have paid more and still get no service!!

How did I get back at them??...

I have booked 2 more cruises with my PVP and will book many more with him in the future! I get great service and price guarantee with no service fees!

I will never use that agency again, so they lost my business for ever. No more commission for her!

I used an agency like the OP that charged me a $50.00 change fee.:mad: I was not happy with their service or the fees! Boy, did I get slammed for booking the lowest price bid. Now with all of the service fees etc, I have paid more and still get no service!!

How did I get back at them??...

I have booked 2 more cruises with my PVP and will book many more with him in the future! I get great service and price guarantee with no service fees!

I will never use that agency again, so they lost my business for ever. No more commission for her!

Isn't your DH a airline pilot? Do you use the interline TA's?

How much commission does a TA make on a cruise, percentage wise, I mean.

Typically TA's will make 15-16% commission on each cruise. Now the port charges and taxes are not commissionable so it's not the entire price of your cruise that they're making money on but it's usually the most significant cost.

Say a TA says your cruise will cost $989 total; $800 cruise rate+$139port charges+$50taxes. This means the TA will get $16% on $800 or $128. Suppose your cruise rate falls $150, the TA will then only make $104.

Typically TA's will make 15-16% commission on each cruise. Now the port charges and taxes are not commissionable so it's not the entire price of your cruise that they're making money on but it's usually the most significant cost.

Say a TA says your cruise will cost $989 total; $800 cruise rate+$139port charges+$50taxes. This means the TA will get $16% on $800 or $128. Suppose your cruise rate falls $150, the TA will then only make $104.

Thanks!

I do have to say that no this is not the norm, UNLESS the extra money is a fuel increase since you booked. But yes some (mostly bigger) agencies do charge for changes and cancellations.

Before using any agency for the first time I think you should AWLAYS ask questions. Ask if they charge for ANY changes, cancellations, and booking fees. Know what you are getting into BEFORE booking with a new agency.

PS- coming from a travel agent, agents can get you awesome deals :D

And most of us are honest and are NOT tacking on additional charges. ASK questions Upfront and know who you are dealing with! Good luck!

Isn't your DH a airline pilot? Do you use the interline TA's?

Carnival and other cruiselines do not offer interline prices on all cruises. These prices are only offered on select cruises that are during off-season or are not selling well. Find a popular cruise during Holiday months or high-season and there are no discounts to be had anywhere!!! Cruiselines also only offer interline discounts on select cabins ( usually never suites). I still use my PVP for the interline price,just submit I.D.s to CCL like military price and if available for your cabin choice they will match.

And I booked w/an online site, (never again), not one of those you all have mentioned but many of us on these boards have had trouble with them HOLDING MY FINAL PAYMENT !! I am sure a search will find the thread!

Archived