Advice for Grand Cayman

EydieG

I tried posting this on the Grand Cayman Ports of call board, but got no response so I thought I would try it here.

My family is taking my mother on a cruise in October and one of our stops is Grand Cayman. We (the family) have been there several times and done most of the important "must do/see" stuff, but Mom hasn't been before. I would like to do a best of tour (she isn't into beaches or water sports at all- 73 yrs. old) but the only tour offered through the ship is $52 per person. I'm thinging $208 is kind of high for 4 people to ride around on a tour bus for a couple of hours. Does anyone have any advice on doing this local? Because of an incident on Grand Cayman a few years back I am terified to book anything anywhere other than through the ship.

Thanks!

Eydie, I'm sure you would have fun on the tour bus with your mother. That being said, you could just hire a cab for a few hours and ask them to give you a tour of the island to include Hell nd the turtle farm. That should cost less than what the cruiseline wants to charge. Just remember that Grand Cayman is rather expensive compared to other islands. Good luck. Georgetta

I tried posting this on the Grand Cayman Ports of call board, but got no response so I thought I would try it here.

My family is taking my mother on a cruise in October and one of our stops is Grand Cayman. We (the family) have been there several times and done most of the important "must do/see" stuff, but Mom hasn't been before. I would like to do a best of tour (she isn't into beaches or water sports at all- 73 yrs. old) but the only tour offered through the ship is $52 per person. I'm thinging $208 is kind of high for 4 people to ride around on a tour bus for a couple of hours. Does anyone have any advice on doing this local? Because of an incident on Grand Cayman a few years back I am terified to book anything anywhere other than through the ship.

Thanks!

Can you explain what happened at Grand Cayman? My impression of that place is that it is the safest place in the Caribbean.

Captain Marvin will take you to the Turtle Farm and Hell and stops by 7 mile beach for photo ops and somewhere else, just google Captain Marvin for his site. I think its $30 per person. He did add another stop, cant remember it off the top of my head.

It would cost you about $20 per person I believe to get into the Turtle Farm if you catch a cab, the price of his tour includes admission, but you might feel rushed on a excursion and have wanted to spend more time there.

You get to hold a turtle and see the breeding farm and they have a little place if you want to eat turtle meat I believe.

We've done Grand Cayman at least a half dozen times and loved every visit. Three times we rented a car (Cayman Auto Rentals) and drove ourselves. Those were our best experiences. I'm not sure it's the best choice for you given your concerns. But it is a great value as you could have the whole day for about $100. I'd suggest a quick stop in Hell just to say you've been there. But the highlights would be Pedro St. James Castle and the blow holes.

We never book thru the ship and have had a great time everytime! No worries about missing the ship etc... Your driver will watch the time, but I always do as well. Relax, find a cheap tour at the port and enjoy! No reason to be terrified, especially in a large group and especially on GC!!!

Here is Captain Marvins, $30, it was "old homestead" and governor's house stops added this year for $5 more

First Stop: Governor's House for photo opportunity

Second Stop: Old Homestead for photo opportunity

Third Stop: Photo stop at Seven Mile Beach

Fourth Stop: Turtle Farm (Approx. 45 minutes.)

Fifth Stop: Hell (Approx. 15 minutes.)

HELL / TURTLE FARM (pic missing)

Basic Description Check-in time for this Island Tour is 30 minutes before your tour at our office in the Waterfront Centre. We can schedule this trip either before or after your snorkeling trip, or on its own, depending on cruise ship schedules and availability. Just email us and we can advise you on the timing.

Price Adult US$30.00 including admission to the Turtle Farm. This price is subject to change.

Price Child US$30.00 including admission to the Turtle Farm. This price is subject to change.

Can you explain what happened at Grand Cayman? My impression of that place is that it is the safest place in the Caribbean.

Oh, it had nothing to do with safety. I'm sorry I gave that impression. A few years ago we were doing the swim with the stingrays, boooked through the ship, and when we got off the catamaran the bus that was to take us back to the ship was not there. We waited and waited (in the hot sun for at least two hours) and the crew called on the radio many times for help. Finally another bus came for us. We got back to the ship a little over an hour after it was supposed to have left. The ship was turned around facing the open sea and tons of people were on balconys and around the open decks watching us tender in. If this tour had not been booked through the ship, we would have been left. The whole time the catamaran crew assured us we wouldn't be left so we didn't worry but now I'm afraid to book anywhere else just in case. I mean, I know drivers watch the clock, but they can't control traffic problems or broken down cars or buses. We are only there from 8-3 and Mom kind of gets a slow start in the mornings so I'm not sure exactly how much time we will have I wanted to make the best of it.

thanks everyone!

Oh, it had nothing to do with safety. I'm sorry I gave that impression. A few years ago we were doing the swim with the stingrays, boooked through the ship, and when we got off the catamaran the bus that was to take us back to the ship was not there. We waited and waited (in the hot sun for at least two hours) and the crew called on the radio many times for help. Finally another bus came for us. We got back to the ship a little over an hour after it was supposed to have left. The ship was turned around facing the open sea and tons of people were on balconys and around the open decks watching us tender in. If this tour had not been booked through the ship, we would have been left. The whole time the catamaran crew assured us we wouldn't be left so we didn't worry but now I'm afraid to book anywhere else just in case. I mean, I know drivers watch the clock, but they can't control traffic problems or broken down cars or buses. We are only there from 8-3 and Mom kind of gets a slow start in the mornings so I'm not sure exactly how much time we will have I wanted to make the best of it.

thanks everyone!

I see, you basically want the cruise ship to know where you are, and to know if there was a problem on your excursion. I feel the same way.

we actually went the past december, we did a tour with one of the companies that was waiting at the port of call. It was a big group of us, along with several other cruisers. We each paid 20.00 and they took us on a tour, we went to Hell, and he stopped us as a beach for a few photos ops. We went a few other places, but my favorite had to be the Tortuga Rum Cake factory!!! :D

Thanks!

You could check out this site.. they have a few land tours..

http://www.caymaninanutshell.com/halfshell.html#1

When I've gone to Grand Cayman the time on the ship was different than the time on the island.

The last time we did a tour with NativeWay Watersports that was reef/sting ray/Rum Point We were fine with time but there was a group of teachers on the tour with us. They had wanted to hit a liquor store but by the time we got back to the city they JUST made the last tender to their ship(also Carnival). We were glad that we left Rum Point "early" or they would have missed their ship! The guys on the boat weren't worried about the time. It's up to you to make sure you leave enough time to make your ship.

PS: I'm booking them again!

Archived