Royal caribbean VISA..good or bad?

Here I am Patti!;) :)

When I used my points for the free fare for 2 on 7 day cruise's, I also upgraded to a Balcony, and received the C&A Credits. I was told from RC that if you do not pay any additional costs towards your cabin ( not talking about port taxes and fees), that you are not entitled to the C&A credits. I have never experienced it, since all my Visa Free cruise's were upgraded and I paid the upgraded cost and received the C&A credits! My T/A also stated no C&A credit if you don't pay for an upgrade.

Now here's a question. What happens if you use the free fare for 2 in the lowest OV cabin (not sure if the rule still has a max amount $2500.00) and say the OV cost $2800.00 and you are now paying $300.00 towards that OV free Cruise! You are applying additional money towards payment of the cabin (such as you do for an upgrade), will you receive C&A credits?

I can tell you this much, I use to run group cruise's ( just with a bunch of friends, getting sometimes as many of 100 in my groups! If I received the free berth for my DH and myself, we DID NOT receive a C&A cruise credit for it! This was back in the 90's when you received the free berths. Then they changed and now give you a check in the amount of what you earned (after the cruise is completed), so you are paying upfront for the cruise and do receive the C&A credit. I no longer do groups, just want to relax and enjoy my Cruise!;) :)

Unless you experienced using the points for a Free Cruise , with no upgrade or additional costs to pay, I don't think RC or BOA will even give you the right answer!:rolleyes:

Thanks Shirl...............but can you answer Jill's question about the balcony discount?

Whoops...............I see you've answered her question.

The only down side to using points for free cruises is that you do not earn cruise credits towards C&A membership.

I thought that, too. I was given my credits for all 4 of our free cruises because we upgraded our cabins a bit. We may have paid under $100 but we still "paid" something so we were given the credits. If you were not you should contact customer service, unless you booked the lowest oceanview and that the exact amount they took off.

I thought that, too. I was given my credits for all 4 of our free cruises because we upgraded our cabins a bit. We may have paid under $100 but we still "paid" something so we were given the credits. If you were not you should contact customer service, unless you booked the lowest oceanview and that the exact amount they took off.

Lisa, we haven't used any of our points yet for a free cruise. But I think that any amount you pay over and above the lowest oceanview rate when cashing in points for the free cruise will get you the credit. You are still paying $$$ to RCI.......and it's the bottom line that counts.:)

I absolutely love my RCI Visa card. Use it for EVERYTHING and in the last several months that I've had it, I've earned so many rewards. I cruise on RCI quite frequently so I'm always racking up double points.

It's funny actually. Sometimes when I use it at stores, the cashiers ask me if I work for RCI when they see the card. :cool:

Lisa, we haven't used any of our points yet for a free cruise. But I think that any amount you pay over and above the lowest oceanview rate when cashing in points for the free cruise will get you the credit. You are still paying $$$ to RCI.......and it's the bottom line that counts.:)

You are correct once more my friend:p , and thanks for asking Shirl for me too...Later, Jill:cool:

Thanks to everyone for all the answers. If I ever get to a point where I qualify for a free cruise, I will be sure to upgrade!

Just charged 1/3 of DD's fall tuition today and the electric bill, so maybe I will make it. (Sent the payment to BOA just after I made the charges.) Haven't done it yet, but I think I can charge some of my property taxes. I try to use it for everything I would normally buy (or have to pay for) anyway.

The only down side to using points for free cruises is that you do not earn cruise credits towards C&A membership.

Not true. I used points for a buy one get one free and they charged me $1 for the cruise just so I would get my credits towards my C&A. So you can go free, just make sure they charge you $1 for your cruise:p

I have done it both ways - earlier this year, we cashed in 25k points for a free OV on SOS. That is when they charged me $1 for my cruise so that I would get the credit.

For next April - we redeemed 75k points for a free OV. Since we had booked a balcony, we got the value of the OV at the time of our booking - in our case $949. So we got the original $200 Diamond balcony discount and then got another $949 off for the points, which in turn lowered the insurance we had taken out, so in total we saved $999 on 75k points. Sweet!!!

Not true. I used points for a buy one get one free and they charged me $1 for the cruise just so I would get my credits towards my C&A. So you can go free, just make sure they charge you $1 for your cruise:p

It wasn't FREE if you paid ONE DOLLAR!;)

Thanks Shirl, I thought so, but you can't take anything for granted;) !!! Later, Jill:cool:

When we redemed our first set of points for the free oceanview for 2, we upgraded to JS and got 2 cruise credits. Will do the same when we cash in our next set of points.

We also use card for everything (it took some training to get DH to us CC for a pack of gum. :D ) and then pay the card off each month so pay no interest.

We are already D level C&A, but have that D+ in our sites. ;)

We use our card for everything. Plus DH uses it for work all the time also, and then I book most of my family's travel, so book all their stuff also, so we rack up the points pretty fast. Paying it off every single month is the key.

We are Diamond and also have D+ in sight. If all goes according to plan, we should be there my mid 2010

Got my son to get one also. He already has 1 credit, they are staying in a JS next month for their honeymoon so he will have 3, and then they are going to take 2 short ones to get to Platinum before they go on a Med cruise. They want enough points by then to help pay for that cruise.

You are correct once more my friend:p , and thanks for asking Shirl for me too...Later, Jill:cool:

Anything for my SPB sister.:D

I have done it both ways - earlier this year, we cashed in 25k points for a free OV on SOS. That is when they charged me $1 for my cruise so that I would get the credit.

For next April - we redeemed 75k points for a free OV. Since we had booked a balcony, we got the value of the OV at the time of our booking - in our case $949. So we got the original $200 Diamond balcony discount and then got another $949 off for the points, which in turn lowered the insurance we had taken out, so in total we saved $999 on 75k points. Sweet!!!

It wasn't FREE if you paid ONE DOLLAR!;)

Took the words right out of my mouth!:)

We use our card for everything. Plus DH uses it for work all the time also, and then I book most of my family's travel, so book all their stuff also, so we rack up the points pretty fast. Paying it off every single month is the key.

We are Diamond and also have D+ in sight. If all goes according to plan, we should be there my mid 2010

Got my son to get one also. He already has 1 credit, they are staying in a JS next month for their honeymoon so he will have 3, and then they are going to take 2 short ones to get to Platinum before they go on a Med cruise. They want enough points by then to help pay for that cruise.

Our kids were lucky enough for us to have reached platinum before the older left home and diamond before the younger left home. So they (and now their spouses) have those levels to start with..... Yes, I know I lot of people don't like the "live at the same address" rule, but my girls love it. :D

OK...here's another question since I've been looking at my printed copy of the Visa point values. Did this so that I could have them close at hand.

It says that for 75,000 points we can get an upgrade on a 7 night European sailing for two (balcony stateroom to a junior suite). Would this be on any RCI ship cruising in the Med?

And, if I cash in 150,000 points, can I do a b2b? Can I upgrade to a GS so that we would get our 2 cruise credits for each sailing?

Now it's getting complicated.:p

OK...here's another question since I've been looking at my printed copy of the Visa point values. Did this so that I could have them close at hand.

It says that for 75,000 points we can get an upgrade on a 7 night European sailing for two (balcony stateroom to a junior suite). Would this be on any RCI ship cruising in the Med?

And, if I cash in 150,000 points, can I do a b2b? Can I upgrade to a GS so that we would get our 2 cruise credits for each sailing?

Now it's getting complicated.:p

The way I read the award, you are correct. Should be any ship doing a 7 night European sailing. And no reason you couldn't use one 75,000 point award for each cruise of a b2b. And if you pay to upgrade to GS, you should be able to get the 2 points on each for booking a suite (you may have gotten the JS "free" but you will have paid for the GS upgrade......

I would verify this with a C&A rep however. And ask to talk to a supervisor if you don't get the answer you think you should. I had to talk to someone higher when I first used my first "free cruise" award to get the 2 points, but as soon as I got someone who knew more on the phone it was very easy to take care of. :)

The way I read the award, you are correct. Should be any ship doing a 7 night European sailing. And no reason you couldn't use one 75,000 point award for each cruise of a b2b. And if you pay to upgrade to GS, you should be able to get the 2 points on each for booking a suite (you may have gotten the JS "free" but you will have paid for the GS upgrade......

I would verify this with a C&A rep however. And ask to talk to a supervisor if you don't get the answer you think you should. I had to talk to someone higher when I first used my first "free cruise" award to get the 2 points, but as soon as I got someone who knew more on the phone it was very easy to take care of. :)

Thanks.............that's exactly the way I would interpret the wording..........BUT, I think a phone call will be in order...............maybe several phone calls...........we'll see how many different answers I get.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Program%20Rules.6.4.07.pdf

Patti: From how I read it, Yes you can go on any 7 day Ship for the European Cruise.

As long as you have enough points for 2 seperate cruise's to do this for, (don't matter if it's B2B or to different cruise's. Don't forget your Diamond discount!;)

Upgrading to a GS earnes you the 2 credits, and if you are paying just ONE DOLLA, for the cruise, you have a paying cruise credited!:)

GO FOR IT!:p

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Program%20Rules.6.4.07.pdf

Patti: From how I read it, Yes you can go on any 7 day Ship for the European Cruise.

As long as you have enough points for 2 seperate cruise's to do this for, (don't matter if it's B2B or to different cruise's. Don't forget your Diamond discount!;)

Upgrading to a GS earnes you the 2 credits, and if you are paying just ONE DOLLA, for the cruise, you have a paying cruise credited!:)

GO FOR IT!:p

You betcha. I've actually got Jim's attention in planning a med cruise for 2010. :p

I was telling him about the $1 charge that karena1 paid to get her cruise credit. He laughed and said even paying $1.......that was still a free cruise to him.:D

Since you are the expert in doing this...........I can book a cruise (or two) and then redeem the points...............as long as I do this before final payment? All the adjusting comes off the invoice once they receive my coupons..........correct?

We've used the points several times - a free three nighter for two, a free 8 nighter for 2 and have just booked a free four nighter for two. Each time, we have received the Crown and Anchor credit for the cruise and we received two credits for the 8 night on the Jewel because we paid the difference between the cheapest outside cabin and a Junior Suite. We also received the $200 discount off the difference as we are Diamond Members.

We just got another offer for the RCL credit card which will give us 10000 point bonus for using it during the first 2 months. As the original card is in my name, we responded to the offer to get one in my husband's name, so this will give us a $100 OBC for our Feb. cruise on the Jewel.

You don't get enough "bang for the buck" in taking OBC. It is only 1% of the points in value. Taking a free cruise gives you closer to 2%. We used to get the full 2% of value (ie. $500 of cruise for 25000 points and $2500 of cruise for 125000 points), but now they only credit you the amount of the cheapest outside cabin, which can be as low as 1.25% on the less expensive cruises. As a result, we are using up the RCL points that we have accumulated and have switched to a different card, which has a better program.

You betcha. I've actually got Jim's attention in planning a med cruise for 2010. :p

I was telling him about the $1 charge that karena1 paid to get her cruise credit. He laughed and said even paying $1.......that was still a free cruise to him.:D

Since you are the expert in doing this...........I can book a cruise (or two) and then redeem the points...............as long as I do this before final payment? All the adjusting comes off the invoice once they receive my coupons..........correct?

Don't forget Patti, you still have to pay the fuel charge and the govt. taxes...

We've used the points several times - a free three nighter for two, a free 8 nighter for 2 and have just booked a free four nighter for two. Each time, we have received the Crown and Anchor credit for the cruise and we received two credits for the 8 night on the Jewel because we paid the difference between the cheapest outside cabin and a Junior Suite. We also received the $200 discount off the difference as we are Diamond Members.

We just got another offer for the RCL credit card which will give us 10000 point bonus for using it during the first 2 months. As the original card is in my name, we responded to the offer to get one in my husband's name, so this will give us a $100 OBC for our Feb. cruise on the Jewel.

You don't get enough "bang for the buck" in taking OBC. It is only 1% of the points in value. Taking a free cruise gives you closer to 2%. We used to get the full 2% of value (ie. $500 of cruise for 25000 points and $2500 of cruise for 125000 points), but now they only credit you the amount of the cheapest outside cabin, which can be as low as 1.25% on the less expensive cruises. As a result, we are using up the RCL points that we have accumulated and have switched to a different card, which has a better program.

Benita: Were you able to redeem 125,000pts for 2 for an 8 nt cruise, it says 7 nts. on the list of rewards...Thanks, Jill:cool:

Archived