Belize barrier reef

MoneyGuy

Has anyone dived the reef at Belize? I'll be there on a cruise in April and was looking at diving the Blue Hole but started reading about the reef and it looks like a great dive option. Second largest reef in the world, it'd be wonderful. Thoughts?

Yes that was the point of my original post. I started to look at the Blue Hole but found it's 60 miles from shore, so then started to look at the reef. I'd like to hear from someone who has dived it. Bruce, have you? I'm guessing you've dived reefs somewhere. What's it like? Others?

Yes that was the point of my original post. I started to look at the Blue Hole but found it's 60 miles from shore, so then started to look at the reef. I'd like to hear from someone who has dived it. Bruce, have you? I'm guessing you've dived reefs somewhere. What's it like? Others?

I haven't been to Belize, so I can't comment from personal experience about the Blue Hole (over rated by some accounts) or the quality of the reefs accessible from a cruise ship stop.

Has anyone dived the reef at Belize? I'll be there on a cruise in April and was looking at diving the Blue Hole but started reading about the reef and it looks like a great dive option. Second largest reef in the world, it'd be wonderful. Thoughts?

We were in Belize in Jan 08 - 3 of our party dove through a private dive shop in Belize. The name of the shop escapes me - I'll come back with the name if you want it. I wasn't part of this dive trip - however, I wish I had been. The dive boat took them out amongst the little islands that are all over the coast of Belize. They dove the reef which was incredible. They all saw the largest sea turtle - as big as a man - even the dive master said it was the largest he had seen. The coral was in great shape and there was abundant sea life. My family said it was the best reef dive of the trip. We had also dove GC, & Mexico. There was no problem with getting to shore, getting to the shop, diving and getting back to the ship. We were on the Carnival Legend. Now, the boat ride to the reef was a little rough, but they said the ride was worth it for the dives. No pics, sorry. I"ll get the dive shop name.

We were in Belize in Jan 08 - 3 of our party dove through a private dive shop in Belize. The name of the shop escapes me - I'll come back with the name if you want it. I wasn't part of this dive trip - however, I wish I had been. The dive boat took them out amongst the little islands that are all over the coast of Belize. They dove the reef which was incredible. They all saw the largest sea turtle - as big as a man - even the dive master said it was the largest he had seen. The coral was in great shape and there was abundant sea life. My family said it was the best reef dive of the trip. We had also dove GC, & Mexico. There was no problem with getting to shore, getting to the shop, diving and getting back to the ship. We were on the Carnival Legend. Now, the boat ride to the reef was a little rough, but they said the ride was worth it for the dives. No pics, sorry. I"ll get the dive shop name.

I'd love the name of the dive shop. We are planning on diving in Belize in July.

Hi,

I went on a live-aboard in Belize and it was the best diving I've ever done (and I've been to a lot of places). I did the blue hole, and while not much to see, it was great to "free fall" 130ft. straight off the lip to a series of huge stalagmites hanging off the wall (the blue hole used to be a domed cave during the ice age). I have pictures with a lot of them from Belize (and a video decending the blue hole on my website http://www.randallgamby.com (takes a while to load)). A cruise would only touch the corner of the reef (the major reef was 2 hours by boat out of Belize City) but I wouldn't miss it if I was going their (might be in Nov.). :D

Randall

We dove Turneffe Atoll from the cruise ship when we went. Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection was who the cruise ship used. They were great. The benefit of using them through the cruise ship is that if you haven't been to Belize before the cruise ship has to anchor several miles out as the waters get very shallow any closer. Hugh Parkey's operation is run out of a small island on the way to Turneffe Atoll so they will pick you up at the cruise ship then make a stop at their shop for equipment. While there you can see the dolfins in the lagoon. Then they continue out to Turneffe Atoll to dive and then drop you back off at the cruise ship. Was very efficient and saw many green moray eels, turtles, lots of really cool small stuff in the shallows and a black spotted toad fish. Wouldn't hesitate to use them or dive those same sites again in a heartbeat.

That's only because you haven't been to Fiji yet. Nothing in the Caribbean comes close.

But Fiji doesn't come close when it comes to traveling to it. I'll just have to wait for the earth to continue to shift until Fiji is closer to the U.S. :D

r

I also dove at out of Amberguis Caye and it was great. An easy dive was the marine park that was filled with sting rays and nurse sharks. Sometimes the water can be too rough to go outside the reef and as a result we could not go to the blue hole whcih was more than 2 hour away by boat

PS i disagree about Fiji. I think the society islands (Bora bora and Moorea) were the best diving followed by the Andean Sea out of Phuket.

The name is Sea Sports Belize.

thats who I dove with. I had a great time. they took us to a private little island between dives for lunch and it have like 15 dogs on the island.... it was a small island, still I had a really good time. One thing thought, we barely made it back to the ship on time.

Archived