Cloudy water after storms?

Kathy0418

After the water is churned up from a tropical storm or hurricane, how long does it usually take to go from cloudy to clear. Our cruise leaves a week from tommorow and with all the activity in the Caribbean, I was wondering if we'll have any clear water to snorkel at Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas or Grand Turk.

After the water is churned up from a tropical storm or hurricane, how long does it usually take to go from cloudy to clear. Our cruise leaves a week from tommorow and with all the activity in the Caribbean, I was wondering if we'll have any clear water to snorkel at Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas or Grand Turk.
Oooooooo.....If Hanna still isn't there the next one might be......

As to your question....It usually takes a week or so to settle down....But then a good trunderstorm the day you snorkel/dive can do the same thing...;)

I'll have to decide whether I want to drag my snorkel gear in my suitcase since I already have to pay for the first one on American Airlines and more for the second bag. Maybe I'll do a practice packing this weekend.

We snorkeled in Key West about 2 weeks after a Hurricane and the water was very cloudy. Same thing happened in Trunk Bay. You may try asking the excursion desk. While both trips weren't as nice as others, we still enjoyed the beach and sailing experience.

From someone who grew up in the Caribbean on a beach town, you could have a huge storm with strong waves and churning sand clouding the water one day, then wake up the next morning to amazing, clear as glass, smooth seas.

I sailed on the Fascination to the Bahamas the day after Katrina hit South Florida, and we had amazing seas. The water in the Bahamas, as well as during our sailing there and back was beautiful and clear.

All good answers here but mostly it depends on how coarse the sand is where you are going and how close it is to a river, creek etc. as these will bring finer particulate and humic material into the picture.I would take my mask and snorkel anyway.Good luck.

From someone who grew up in the Caribbean on a beach town, you could have a huge storm with strong waves and churning sand clouding the water one day, then wake up the next morning to amazing, clear as glass, smooth seas.

I sailed on the Fascination to the Bahamas the day after Katrina hit South Florida, and we had amazing seas. The water in the Bahamas, as well as during our sailing there and back was beautiful and clear.

Actually I went diving 3 days after Key West had been hit by Willma and had the best vis ever in that port. The locals said that a hurricane pushes up clear, deep water to shore and sucks off the sand ladden water with it. As long as you're diving/snorkeling the side the hurricane came from you'd be fine (if you're on the other side, you'll be swimming in sand). :D

r

Archived