KK... Where's Your Thread?

sail7seas

KK.....

As you know, we were on Maasdam for two weeks and I hardly came to CC but a few minutes on two ocassions. Someone pointed out to me you started a thread about Cruisers Picking Their Favorite Ship to sail when they know they are ready to receive their next Medallion.

They commented they thought it could have been referencing me so, of course, I'm interested to read it. :)

But, sadly, I can't find it.

Can you Help?

Thanks. :)

I was just wondering as I know someone from this site did cancel one cruise knowing that they wouldn't get the "royal" treatment on the one ship compared to what they would get on their favorite ship.

And then I noticed last week that someone else has booked a cruise on their favorite ship inorder to receive their medals with their favorite captain and ship.

As for us -- no special ship or treatment when we got our 100 day medals. No special ship or treatment when we got our 300 day medals.

For 500 days -- it will be by itinerary -- no favorite captain or ship -- so we know we won't be treated any differently than anyone else getting a medal. Although I would something else other than a warm glass of wine at the awards ceremony.

Yes, having read the thread, I can see why someone might have thought it referred to me but only KK knows that for sure. ;)

In any event, to share in the conversation:

The best made plans of where/what ship/what crew with whom to get your next medallion are wishes and hopes only.

Life often gets in the way of those plans.

We have cruised often enough with enough crew friends on our favorite ships to never, ever book a cruise by who we expect to be aboard. Indeed, crew planning can change the day before a cruise boards, a week, a month prior.... We have also experienced (several times) when a crew friend was aboard with us for part of our cruise and for one reason or another left the ship mid-cruise. Sometimes they returned during that cruise and sometimes not.

In our particular case, we booked to sail Maasdam for 10 days in April, Eurodam three day prelude and 10 day Inaugural Cruise. We also booked Maasdam for August, 14 days, Boston to Montreal to Boston, back-to-back. All those cruises were booked about a year prior.

We certainly knew we were approaching Gold Medallion and did look forward to receiving it and would be thrilled to receive it from an Officer with whom with have a special friendship but, as stated above, know to never think that sort of plan can be set in place and expect it to happen.

In January, I learned I had to have a heart valve open heart surgery. There went all those wonderful cruise plans out the window. Very end of February heart surgery mandated no strenuous travel for us. April cruise got cancelled as did traveling to Europe to attend Eurodam's Christening and sail her first voyages.

That's 23 days we planned on sailing but did not. The April cruise would have left us short of 500 days but Eurodam would have put us over. No question April was a definite cancel but for a while, Eurodam looked possible. Then came the 'not allowed' by my surgeon. However Eurodam's 13 days left us one day short of 500 so would have been no new medallion in that scenario. We would have been 499 days.

Voila...... HAPPILY, the end of our second cruise on Maasdam this week put us at exactly 500 days and fate arranged we would (and did) receive those golden medallions from Firmin van Walle - a HUGELY favorite Hotel Manager - and a great Captain, new to Maasdam and newly promoted, Andre van Schoonhoven. Great fun. But the tangle is we would have loved to have gotten it from a very favorite Captain as well as Hotel Manager Firmin.

Hmm..... :D Maybe we can get it twice? :)

So, KK..........does that answer?

One other VERY Important point I feel relevant......... HAL crews on all the ships, all the crews, IMO, treat everyone with courtesy and respect and try to provide the best experience possible. One ship, another ship, all are special service and special treatment IMO

See -- I told you that I wasn't refering to you.

As you may have read -- there are some people there planning on what ship to get a medal.

I knew that you had had another heart procedure and plans had changed.

But I also knew of a couple of people who changed cruises -- one responded -- 2 didn't.

OH -- by the way -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=831583&highlight=Lido -- another thread to check out -- look at #24 and #39 posts.

We have cruised often enough with enough crew friends on our favorite ships to never, ever book a cruise by who we expect to be aboard. Indeed, crew planning can change the day before a cruise boards, a week, a month prior.... We have also experienced (several times) when a crew friend was aboard with us for part of our cruise and for one reason or another left the ship mid-cruise. Sometimes they returned during that cruise and sometimes not.

One other VERY Important point I feel relevant......... HAL crews on all the ships, all the crews, IMO, treat everyone with courtesy and respect and try to provide the best experience possible. One ship, another ship, all are special service and special treatment IMO

I realise that this has nothing to do with the subject matter, and I apologise, but remarks by Sail reminded me of something rather special that happened earlier this year.

I was aboard the Oosterdam (I know I said that I would never sail aboard a Vista Class ship but I'm incessantly curious - okay did that, don't have to do it again:D ) and we were docked in Puerto Vallarta, one of my favourite ports.

Anyway, as I was leaving the ship I greeted the two young Stewards at the gangway with a "good morning" and "see you later" in my fractured Indonesian and took off to "do" the Flea Market there at the Dock. When I got back one of the Stewards asked me "Are you Mrs. West?" I am not but it was fairly close and I gave him my name whereupon he asked me "do you remember me?" His face looked familiar but I must admit that I didn't remember from which ship. He said "South America?" OMG it was Eddie, my Dining Room Steward from the San Diego to Rio cruise on the Ryndam. What is amazing is that that cruise was seven years ago. It was great to see him again and I am so complimented that he remembered me. It's not the first time that has happened to me but it's always a thrill when a crew member remembers you and asks about you and your family.

Valerie:)

KK...... doesn't really matter but this is what you said:

It wasn't in refernce to just you --

I supplied the underline for 'just you'

It is Post #4 in this thread.

I realise that this has nothing to do with the subject matter, and I apologise, but remarks by Sail reminded me of something rather special that happened earlier this year.

I was aboard the Oosterdam (I know I said that I would never sail aboard a Vista Class ship but I'm incessantly curious - okay did that, don't have to do it again:D ) and we were docked in Puerto Vallarta, one of my favourite ports.

Anyway, as I was leaving the ship I greeted the two young Stewards at the gangway with a "good morning" and "see you later" in my fractured Indonesian and took off to "do" the Flea Market there at the Dock. When I got back one of the Stewards asked me "Are you Mrs. West?" I am not but it was fairly close and I gave him my name whereupon he asked me "do you remember me?" His face looked familiar but I must admit that I didn't remember from which ship. He said "South America?" OMG it was Eddie, my Dining Room Steward from the San Diego to Rio cruise on the Ryndam. What is amazing is that that cruise was seven years ago. It was great to see him again and I am so complimented that he remembered me. It's not the first time that has happened to me but it's always a thrill when a crew member remembers you and asks about you and your family.

Valerie:)

I so know what you mean and I agree it is so special when they greet you by name, know which ship you sailed with them and often know the month and year. We never cease to be amazed by that.

We were so happy we could turn the tables a few cruises ago with a dining steward. He had been our dining steward at least 4 or 5 cruises during an 18 month period of time. We did not see him for ages and when we went to life boat drill, he stood still, stared at us and said..... YOU don't remember me and both of us said, OH YES WE DO. And we told him which ship, which dates and his name. He was Thrilled....and also promoted. He is now a dining supervisor. (Hope our raves about him in our comment sheets contributed to that well deserved promition. :) ) He was so happy we knew HIS name.

SOO!!

DId you read the other part??

No matter.

TOOO many of you are ??? And I shall leave you to fill in the words.

Good Night.

KK... Truth be told, No, I didn't go to the link. I've exhausted the subject and my interest in it.

I have no idea what you mean by TOOOO many or what words you wish to have supplied.

I'm tired. Sorry.

Archived