Is August too late for an Alaskan cruise?

No it is not. We went in the later part of August and it was great. A little cooler at times and on our land tour we saw snow in Denali. On advantage is if you go late in the month the stores will be clearing their inventory and you can get great deals on things like t-shirts and canned smoked sockeye salmon, a treat not to miss.

My review link no longer works due to the upgrade of this site a few months back but if you'd like it, post you e-mail and I'll send it to you.

We went the last week of August, 2000 and had perfect weather - high 60's or low 70's every day and not a drop of rain! We also saw a lot of wildlife but the salmon take the cake. Watching those stupid fish swimming upstream is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. In Ketchican (sp) they were so crowded swimming - I don't know how they made it. When we were walking through the city, we walked over a small bridge on the main street where you could watch them banging into each other, jumping over each other, etc. Cheap entertainment!! :D

we went the first week of September and had great weather, was told it is not as crowded and it was considered shoulder season and saved enough money to go on a weekend cruise. whenever you decide to go Alaska is in a world of its own. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been on two Alaska cruises. One was mid August and the other was mid September (actually the last week they sail for the season - talk about good sales in the shops!!!). On both we had wonderful weather. The September cruise, like the others have mentioned, was a bit cooler but still warm enough without having to wear a heavy jacket and it did get darker a bit earlier but nothing to interfere with the excursions we took. As a bonus, we enjoyed some of the early fall color changes on the trees and bushes along the shore. Very pretty.

I think the next time - and there will be a next time - we will try the spring time. I hear that is beautiful, too.

I guess what I am saying is that anytime is a good time to try Alaska.:)

We cruised this past Late Aug. into early Sept. aboard the Serenade. Had a wonderful time. Mostly great weather--only a couple of drizzly, rainy afternoons. I agree with the above poster--great sales in the shops. I got more gifts for less money than any other cruise I've been on. Also, the salmon were still running upsteam which was amazing to see. I say go for Aug./Sept. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Hi

After so many positive comments now one negative. :(

We cruised in Alaska in Aug. 2002. The weather in Vancouver was fantastic but as soon as we entered the waters around Juneau it started to rain and it became foggy until the second last day of the cruise. :(

We didn’t even saw Hubbard Glacier. All you could do was to listen. :( :(

Bad luck. We had to wear heavy winter jackets and gloves!

When we entered Canadian waters again it suddenly cleared and the temperatures began to rise.

In Alaska you can have either a bad week or only a bad day but I would still recommend a cruise there! :)

Keep cruising

The weather in Alaska can be iffy at best. If that is the time your husband can go then go for it. My wife and I went in June 2 years ago on the radiance. It snowed!!!!!!!. Hey, your in Alaska and in Alaska when you look in the sky they call them blue clouds. Just plan for cold, wet, nice weather and you will have a great time no matter what.

We went in late September, the last cruise of the season on Radiance. Our weather was all over the map - rain one day, clear as a bell the next. We had the wettest hike I've ever been on in Juneau, the fake dogsled ride was soggy, it rained intermittently during the White Pass train and the water was positively choppy during our Lighthouse & Eagles boatride. But you know what? WE HAD THE BEST CRUISE WE HAVE EVER HAD! The ship is gorgeous, the Captain got us to within 500 yds of the Hubbard Glacier, and there was plenty to do on board (and lots of places to warm up after our excursions).

An added bonus for us was a lack of large crowds of kids, since they were mostly in school by then. Just a few immature adults, too.:D

Mind you, we heard some carping from other passengers that they would not recommend Alaska to their friends because it was too cold and rainy. I found it highly amusing that this was a surprise to them, but not wanting to get into a breakfast brawl, I just drank more coffee.

One thought: If a real dogsled/musher's experience on a glacier is something you "must" do, then book in August - I hear that those camps are all closed by September due to lack of snow.

Talked to my very experienced TA....who has sailed Alaska over 50 times..

Brief summation:

Go in September:

Very few kids....they are all in school. You might find a few "Babies" but not a lot....A few more older people, but that's OK...

Weather is better in Sept...less rain and you will see more fall foliage the later you go.

Prices are lower...almost $600 a cabin less. Vancouver hotels and airfare are less also (I checked)

His last group who sailed in late September had the best weather of all the summer bookings he had...

Convinced us..We booked Serenade for 9/18/05: My theory is that I am not looking at Alaska as a sun worshippers cruise so if it's a bit cooler, SO WHAT... I am doing this trip to see Alaska...not be a beach girl!!!

We went the middle of August a couple of years ago and the weather was fantastic. It was very sunny and warm every day except the day we were in Juneau. Even at the glacier everyone was in short sleeves and the captain said it was the best day of the year. We were laying by the pool in swimsuits on a few days.

You can have bad weather during any of the cruise months in Alaska.

You can also have great weather during any of the cruise months in Alaska.

You can have good and bad weather during the same cruise to Alaska.

I would go for it! In fact, I have cruised there in Aug and had a great time.

-Monte

Archived