Cinque Terre - steps????

Hello -

I have read all the great reviews about visiting Cinque Terre. Next month I am taking my mother on the Emerald Princess' Transatlantic. We have both been to Florence, Pisa, as well as Lucca, so are interested in the ship's excursion to Cinque Terre. Here is the description on Princess' website:

Manarola and Vernazza - A walk along the "street of love" is a spectacular path along the sea that leads you to Rio Maggiore. Here you will board a motorboat for a short cruise to Vernazza, a picturesque fishing village where you will enjoy time at leisure.

Monterosso al Mare - No visit the Cinque Terre would be complete without visiting the most famous of the 5 Lands for its characteristic historical center. After a guided introduction of the village, you will have free time to explore the tiny shops and the nice restaurants.

Walking isn't a problem, but someone mentioned steep steps. Does anyone remember how many, or if it is necessary to climb flights of steps?

Thanks, Steve.

Lots of steps up to Corniglia from the rail station - but this isn't on your excursion - so no probs there. Corniglia is the town on top of a hill so the ferry misses this one out.

I can't think of any along the Via dell'Amore - in fact it's well paved and flat although there is a bit of an uphill (short section) as you approach from the Riomaggiore end - of course that will be down-hill if approached in the opposite direction. I believe there were some steps from the station level at Manorola to join the Via dell'Amore after you go through a pedestrian tunnel but they were properly made steps, nothing rugged or uneven and not too many.

As you get off the ferry at Vernazza there is a delightful square with cafes on the waterfront. There are a lot of steps if you wish to climb up to the top of the surrounding hills for the view but there is absolutely no need to do that.

Monterosso has a level waterfront to stroll along - again with cafes should you wish to have a drink.

I'd check out with destination services though and just query the steps situation also where the coach drops you off at each village as there isn't much vehicular access in some places so although there may not be any steps, there could be some uphill sections to negotiate to get back to pick-up points from the harbour/waterfronts. (Not at Monterosso - the road comes down to sea level here.)

Just returned last week from a 12 day Med Cruise and really enjoyed the trip to Cinque Terre. There were some steps along the way but I don't remember it being really difficult. We couldn't take the motor boad in the morning because of rough seas so we reached the villiages by Bus and one short train ride. On the return back we took the motor boad. We were given time on our own at each villiage to do what we wanted so it worked out really nice. I'll enclose an attached picture so you can see what you are looking forward to. Tim and Cathy

DSC00282.jpg.27924da7522e66d177c008644817913c.jpg

Thanks kruzseeka and vivian02 for the information and beautiful picture.

I was hoping to hear that it wasn't necessary to climb several flights of difficult, and uneven, stairs. It isn't a problem if it is optional - mum can sit while I climb for the view! I will double check with the excursion staff once we are on the ship.

Cheers, Steve

Just returned last week from a 12 day Med Cruise and really enjoyed the trip to Cinque Terre. There were some steps along the way but I don't remember it being really difficult. We couldn't take the motor boad in the morning because of rough seas so we reached the villiages by Bus and one short train ride. On the return back we took the motor boad. We were given time on our own at each villiage to do what we wanted so it worked out really nice. I'll enclose an attached picture so you can see what you are looking forward to. Tim and Cathy

Did you do a ship's excursion or on your own?

Archived