fins required?

nicunurse22595

We do find fins necessary - especially if there is any current where you are snorkeling or if you need to go more than a few yards off shore to get to reefs.

I too hate carting around fins and have found you usually don't have to do that. Almost all of the places we go to either rent fins (usually $5/day) at rental places on the beach or they provide them (on ship or private snorkeling/sailing excursions). We do take our own mask and snorkel. I also have bought some inexpensive neoprene fin socks - these help a lot to provide a better fit and prevent the rubbing and chaffing sores we sometimes otherwise get from some fins. Even though they have no soles the fin socks also protect your feet a little when walking over rocks to get into the water.

On our last trip we had a couple spots we wanted to snorkel at that we knew didn't rent fins so I bought some smaller travel fins that were smaller and easier to pack - like these http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Shredder-Boarding-Surfing/dp/B000EM2S0O/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1220190800&sr=8-1. I still left them in our stateroom and used fins provided, or rental fins, where I knew they'd be available.

If you will drift snorkeling off a boat, fins may not be necessary...from shore, you may find them useful.

What i really want to say is how much I appreciate your role as a NIC Nurse...what a blessing you are to those whose little ones end up in the NIC units....Thanks for all you do!!:)

Grew up in Hawaii (Big Island- Kona). Fins are not necessary unless you plan on diving deep or there are strong currents. We used to wear Portuguese Infantry boots (Water shoes that the local ThrowNet guys would wear) Kinda like an ugly rubber sock with a scouring pad glued onto the bottom. That way if you decided to stand on a coral head or something, you have protection. It's actually more comfortable "Snorkling" without fins if you don't need them. But if you do go with them... use a Body Surfing/Boarding style fin like Churchill or Scott. They are not as large and give lots of short burst power for when you see a White Tip or Tiger. :D

Roy.

Roy, you make a good point about short power bursts!!!! Yikes. Hadn't thought about White Tips or Tigers! I do recall my first ever snorkeling experience in St. Thomas.........when I finally stopped hyperventilating, looked in front of me, and there was a nice-sized shark............not sure what kind-didn't matter! I set a speed record for getting back on shore! :-)

I will look into the smaller fins, or just rent them if the water conditions warrent. Thanks for all the info everyone!

A lot of times they have fins on the tours, but the last time that I was in Aruba the tour did not have fins. We were a little disappointed, but did O.K. I would have liked to have them. We always bring our own snorkel and mask (special prescription for me). Since our experience in Aruba, we bring our fins. I think I will look at buying the travel ones listed above. Are they light weight? How long are they? Thank you for the link.

We bring our own and found these from LLbean to be great. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=54396&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

They also have kids sizes if needed.

This are nice fins - also available separately (without the snorkel & Mask) as "U.S. Divers Shredder Surf II" from Amazon and other places.

Archived