which Venice excursions to take??

poss

I know, I know-- Venice can easily be done on one's own (and if I were doing this trip solo, it's the way I'd be doing it). But DH feels more comfortable doing a couple of ship's tours the first day in Venice, and then (the b2b day for us) going out on our own.

So: I'd love to hear from people who've done any of the Regent excursions. I read the descriptions over and over (and guidebooks over and over) and still have some trouble deciding. I'd love to see some of the things in the Guggenheim collection, for instance, but I just can't imagine spending a couple of hours in a museum when I'm in--VENICE! (for the first time since college days, a rather long time ago) In short, I'm wondering which excursions are especially good for a re-introduction, which maybe not so "worth it." (subjective, I realize...)

Thanks for input. If we are fortunate enough to escape the escalating hurricane season, we'll be aboard in a couple of weeks! So looking forward....

And so appreciative of all the help on this board.

Well the only ship excursion we did in May was on the first night, the Gondola Serenade. They put 4 in a gondola, we planned it with friends, and then group 4 gondolas together, the musician and singer were in our boat and as touristy as it sounds, it actually was really neat and lots of fun and doing a gondola ride is just part of Venice I think. After, the 4 of us walked over to St. Marks, and they were having all kinds of concerts and such, so we just sat at an outdoor cafe and had wine and just enjoyed the whole scene.

Several people we cruised with did the Murano/Burano boat trip the next morning and said it also was really nice and they enjoyed it. We were going to do that, but didn't end up doing it.

Have a wonderful time, how could you not.

I agree that "touristy" things aren't ipso facto anathema. (They're so often poo-poo'd-- I simply don't buy into that.) I think that if we were doing an outing with friends, the gondola ride could be very lovely. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much squished into a boat with strangers. And I think I'd feel too extravagant shelling out the $$ for a "private" ride and serenade. We'll see-- it's something I think I'd enjoy (and dh might not).

Still very interested in hearing what excursions other people on Regent cruises might have enjoyed.

Thanks!

Archived