St. Maarten

I am looking for some help::confused:

The question of the day is:

What is the best beach in St. Maarten for a couple????

We have our cruise in less than 2 weeks and need to pick our final shore excursion by Monday!!!

Thanks

We LOVED Divi Bay Beach. We did an excursion thru the ship

with lunch and beach activites included, however next time

I would probably take a cab and stay there ALL day on our own! The excursion was only 4 hrs and went by to fast. There are several restaurants, shopping, and a pool there too. What a view from

the pool.. so pretty.

This past time we went to Orient and it was nice, a little crowded

and food very $$$. It took much longer to get to.

Divi is very close to where the ship docks.

I have some pics of both if you want to email me I will send them to you.

rosebud1g@msn.com

We LOVED Divi Bay Beach. We did an excursion thru the ship

with lunch and beach activites included, however next time

I would probably take a cab and stay there ALL day on our own! The excursion was only 4 hrs and went by to fast. There are several restaurants, shopping, and a pool there too. What a view from

the pool.. so pretty.

This past time we went to Orient and it was nice, a little crowded

and food very $$$. It took much longer to get to.

Divi is very close to where the ship docks.

I have some pics of both if you want to email me I will send them to you.

rosebud1g@msn.com

If you do your research you won't have to overpay for food/drinks and loungers on Orient. Only parts of Orient are expensive. I would suggest the OP check out the St. Marten boards which are located under the ports of call section of this web site. All the information you'll want is located there.

I didn't get a lot of time at Orient, but i do know there was all sorts of extras to do besides laying on the beach all day. Jetskiing, parasailing, im sure there are more that i didn't get to see in my 5 or so minutes on the beach (book a scuba trip off the boat, long story as to why we only got 5 minutes on the beach!!!)

I acutally going back there in January so i get more then 5 minutes, and i may even sit down while im there all day!!!:D

I didn't get a lot of time at Orient, but i do know there was all sorts of extras to do besides laying on the beach all day. Jetskiing, parasailing, im sure there are more that i didn't get to see in my 5 or so minutes on the beach (book a scuba trip off the boat, long story as to why we only got 5 minutes on the beach!!!)

I acutally going back there in January so i get more then 5 minutes, and i may even sit down while im there all day!!!:D

That's what we did. Sit down and enjoy the view. :D

You don't need or want an excursion. There is a cab stand right at the end of the pier with destinations and prices clearly marked. Your cabbie will also return for you, but not really necessary.

Go to Bikini Beach Club at Orient Beach. Gal from Baltimore owns it. http://www.bikinisme.com Print out the free drink coupon.

Is it difficult to get a cab back to the ship? Never want to be late getting back to the ship :)

Plenty of cabs/vans available for your return to the ship. You'll have to share the ride with others of course. They want those cabs full to maximize their profit.

Anyone have a map of St Maarten?? How far apart are these beaches?? What about taking a taxi to Orient first thing in the morning, then at noon or so, taking taxi back to ship, eat lunch, then walk around for shopping or maybe Divi??

Would this be possible??? Would we see enough of the island??

When looking at the water, the right end of Orient Beach is clothing optional. Some of us consider this a feature:D , others maybe not:eek: . You'll see signs if you walk along the beach.

LOL! Yes, came upon that too! YIKES!! Our waiter warned us of that :o:D

Anyone have a map of St Maarten?? How far apart are these beaches?? What about taking a taxi to Orient first thing in the morning, then at noon or so, taking taxi back to ship, eat lunch, then walk around for shopping or maybe Divi??

Would this be possible??? Would we see enough of the island??

Try this for a map

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sxmcars.com/mapofstmaarten/Saint_martin_map.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.sxmcars.com/mapofstmaarten/map.html&h=669&w=762&sz=39&tbnid=CkXuFD5HdKQJ::&tbnh=125&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSt.%2BMaarten%2Bmap&hl=en&usg=__tQZnhJL-bj1IJ8EPGCrMOgz-EZA=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

Others are available with Google.

Is shopping close by to Orient Beach, would love to browse for a little then go to the beach, or should I say would love to go see the Gucci store there, haven't been there in 19 years cant remember!! :o

The only shopping on Orient is the touristy stuff. The regular shopping is done either in Phillipsburg or Marigot.

So where do they ships dock?? Can you walk to shopping/beach?

The ships dock at the east side of Great Bay. You can either walk or take the water taxi into Phillipsburg for shopping and a beach. The beach there has been redone, but it is one of my least favorite beaches. I don't really want to sit and look out into the harbor, I want to look out onto the ocean.

Since it is just the two of us this time (no kids)...we would prefer a beach with minimal kids running around...we do not need all of the beach activites (ie. trampolines, sea-doos)...Just a good bar and comfortable chairs...

Thoughts ?

David:D

St. Marteen is our favorite port and Orient Beach is our favorite beach. Cab it over, do not schedule an excursion, enjoy the beach! Topless optional and the further you go down the beach to your right it becomes clothing optional if that is your thing.

Like the op said, no need to book thru the ship for this one, really! Our waitress suggested Orient, so we did as she recommended and took a taxi (a microbus) from the stand. We hooked up with another couple and their 20something kids and told our driver where we wanted to go. He took us and set us up with chairs, umbrellas, and even a cold one for very little (can't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't much at all). We told him when we'd like to return and he was there just as promised. There are lots of these guys who do this and you will have no trouble getting back. Enjoy!

Archived