Pearl embarking and disembarking question?

dnb09

Hi All-

Dh and I are first time cruisers and we are trying to get a realistic time frame for planning our shore excursions. According to NCL's webpage the Pearl requires everyone to be onboard 2 hours before setting sail and also requires a 2 hour delay in disembarking...is this correct?? Also is it the same way for the ports of call when embarking and disembarking then too??

Thanks to all of you for the really great info. on this board! :)

Yes, you much be on board 2 hours prior to sailing on embarkation day.

When in ports, you will need to be onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing.

The all-aboard time will be listd each night in your newsletter, and on a sign at the gangway.

Disembarking usually begins 2 hours after arrival at the port, but can be sooner, or later, depending on how quickly the ship clears customs and immigration.

No, the initial one is a DHS (I believe) requirement for departing. The other is to give time for customs to clear the ship.

At the ports along the way, you are in transit (for lack of a better phrase) and you can get off as soon as they get the gangway (ramp) in place. You do have to be back on no less than a 1/2 hour (I believe) before ship sails. They do start calling names at about the 1 hour mark, though.

You didn't mention if you were talking about Alaska or the Caribbean. In Alaska people tend to get back on earlier since there isn't as much to do. In the Caribbean you have the stragglers from Senor Froggie's and Carlos & Charlies (or so I've read).

Yes, you much be on board 2 hours prior to sailing on embarkation day.

When in ports, you will need to be onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing.

The all-aboard time will be listd each night in your newsletter, and on a sign at the gangway.

Disembarking usually begins 2 hours after arrival at the port, but can be sooner, or later, depending on how quickly the ship clears customs and immigration.

If you book your shore excursions with NCL, they will get you off the ship and back to the ship on-time. The excursion won't start without you and the ship certainly will not leave you behind if the excursion gets back late.

On the other hand, if you book excursions other than through NCL, the responsibility is your own. We have always booked through NCL to be on the safe side.

Have fun on your cruise! :)

The government mandates a final manifest be delivered, which implies all passengers be onboard, 1 hour before sailing. NCL says 2 hours to give you time to check in.

It does not take 1 hour to check in, especially if you arrive late, you would probably be onboard in 15 minutes.

They probably close check-in 75 to 90 minutes before sailing, not 2 hours, but that's just my guess.

Our experience was that we carried our bag and walked off the Pearl in Miami at 7:45am.

I was a bit concerned when we arrived at the ship at 11:00am and the passengers from the previous cruise were still walking off the ship. but we were permitted on by noon.

Thanks...that sure makes me feel better that at the ports of call they are only asking for us to be back 30 minutes before sailing. And that we won't have to wait so long to get to shore either. That sure gives us more time to plan our excursions...yeah!

Thanks...that sure makes me feel better that at the ports of call they are only asking for us to be back 30 minutes before sailing. And that we won't have to wait so long to get to shore either. That sure gives us more time to plan our excursions...yeah!

Like I mentioned above, if your "own excursions" include Senor Froggies, Carlos & Charlie's and Margaritaville, then allow extra time. There are too many threads here on the boards about folks missing (or being just barely on time for) their ship.

That being said, I am looking forward to my first visit to these fine establishments. After all, it is 5:00 somewhere!

Archived