Low-cost stateroom upgrade

rpjsaj

We are booked on the 14 day Seward-to-Osaka cruise on Mariner starting Sept. 18th. We had booked a Cat. F stateroom. A few days ago I got an e-mail from Regent (via my TA) with an offer to upgrade my stateroom to any of the categories from Penthouse C on up to the Master Suite. The quoted fee was MUCH less than the normal difference in fares. For example, they quoted $850 to upgrade from Cat. F to Penthouse A, whereas the normal difference is $2707 (for this cruise). I have, on occasion, received free upgrades on cruises when there were empty staterooms (although not usually this many categories). I have NEVER been offered an upgrade for a discounted fee. Is this a new practice? Has anyone out there encountered this before? I thought that going from 301 sq. ft. to 449 sq. ft. and a butler and some other perks was worth the $850, so I did it.

This happened to us in June on the Mariner. My folks were upgraded from Cat F to a penthouse w/ butler for about the same amount as you mentioned. They LOVED it and said well worth the extra spent. I was offered the same deal but declined as I was solo and didn't need all the extra perks.

As standard suites on Mariner are a bit tight, smaller than those on Voyager or Navigator (300 sq.ft. vs. 350 sq.ft.) and the Penthouse suites are a 150 sq.ft. larger than the standard ones with basically the same layout – just wider, with a L-shaped couch – this seems to be a very good deal, grab it. With a lot of sea days on that segment, a butler, which you get with the A and B Penthouses, but not with lower catagories, is a nice extra.

We took a deal on the Voyager a couple of years ago. However, you need to watch the location you are being upgraded to. On the Voyager, it can be an aft suite (not the best place to be). . . or, under the swimming pool on any ship (a bit noisy). On the Mariner, however, it is particularly a great deal since the "regular" suites are quite a bit smaller than the other ships

At that price I'd grab an upgrade in a heartbeat. You will be getting a far superior cabin. That wouldn't be so if it was an upgrade to another standard cabin. They are all the same size. But the Penthouse suites on Mariner are much much larger than a standard cabin. I have little use for the butlers that come with them. But the extra space is glorious.

Go for it. It rarely happens on RSSC according to my TA.

We were on Voyager in a GTY H. Got assigned a D (same layout as H, just higher up). Then got offered to upgrade to Penthouse B for $450 each (7 day cruise). We took it and loved it. The suite is only about 20 sq ft bigger but the layout is much better. I'd do it again in a minute and I'd take the offer they gave you, too.

The butler was a nice guy but I could take him or leave him.

Yes, we experienced an upgrade on Mariner on our 2006 south pacific cruise. When the final payment was due, my TA called to see what it would be to upgrade, (we were in the lowest category). We got a seven seas suite for 1,000. I thought that was a steel since this was a 20 day cruise. We had a living room, bedroom, 1 1/2 baths and a butler. We were living large on this cruise. We were right next door to a movie star. Best experience ever!!!!

Archived