Which ports would you recommend?

mitsguy2001

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I don't see a general Caribbean forum anywhere. I have never been to the Caribbean (I've been on a cruise to the Bahamas, but that's technically not the Caribbean). My girlfriend and I might be going on a Caribbean cruise next April or May. Would you recommend Eastern or Western Caribbean? Any specific ports that you would recommend, or not recommend? She and I like beaches, and we like water activities, such as snorkeling, but are interested in other things too. We plan to go on a 7 night cruise, if that is a consideration. Thank you.

You didn't say your age, or what activities you're looking for. You're pretty safe with any itinerary, as there will be beautiful beaches and activities in most Caribbean ports, and the opportunity to party it up.

We usually cruise twice a year to the Caribbean so we have been to most of the popular ports several times over the years. We are very active and travel with another couple and are always in search of the best beaches. Our favorite ports are:

St John USVI (not to be confused with St John Antigua- St John has pristine white sand beaches, and snorkeling. Easy to get around by shuttle or you can rent a car and stop at beaches on your own. You need to take the ferry over from St Thomas to St John, which is easy to do, or take a ship excursion if you want to play it safe.

St Thomas- Many activities and tons of shopping, but we always take the ferry over to St John. Megans Bay is the popular beach in St Thomas.

Aruba- White sand beaches (Palm and Eagle Beach), lots of beach bars and snorkel tours, easy to get around on your own. Fun island.

Barbados- Beautiful beaches, usually calm water, lots of snorkel/catamaran excursions many snorkel with sea turtles. Carlisle Bay is nice beach near port, but there are many, many more if you're adventurous.

Curacao- Very colorful port, lots of shopping, easy to rent car and drive to beaches on your own.

Peter Island- Absolutely beautiful, but you need to take the ferry from Tortola and it doesn't always leave enough time on Peter Island.

Virgin Gorda- The Bathes are something everyone should see at least once. Not a good choice for the very young or old, as it could be a little dangerous climbing through them- but worth it! Some ships stop at this port, others offer it as an excursion from Tortola. Nice beach at The Bathes, another less crowded one on the other side if you climb through boulders.

Grand Cayman- The stingray excursion is the highlight, beautiful water and white sand beaches.

Antigua- Lots of beaches, and history. We rented a car and saw everything on our own, as the taxis can get expensive to the best beaches. Many excursions and catamaran snorkel trips here.

There are many more, it just depends on what you want to do. On a Cozumel, Grand Cayman itinerary there seems to be a younger crowd. Look up some of the ports and search beaches and catamaran excursions and it will give you a better idea of what is offered in each port. This board is also full of information.

Now after telling you all this, I still have to say that if you want the most beautiful tropical scenery, crystal clear turquoise water, and snorkeling of a lifetime- take the cruise to French Polynesia! It's a little pricey but sooooo worth it!

You didn't say your age, or what activities you're looking for.

I'm 29 and she's 30, and we're interested in beaches, and water activities, such as snorkeling. You mentioned a catamaran sail and snorkel excursion; that's something we're looking for in at least one port. We're interested in other activities too, depending on what each port offers. We're not really interested in shopping.

You're pretty safe with any itinerary, as there will be beautiful beaches and activities in most Caribbean ports, and the opportunity to party it up.

We usually cruise twice a year to the Caribbean so we have been to most of the popular ports several times over the years. We are very active and travel with another couple and are always in search of the best beaches. Our favorite ports are:

St John USVI (not to be confused with St John Antigua- St John has pristine white sand beaches, and snorkeling. Easy to get around by shuttle or you can rent a car and stop at beaches on your own. You need to take the ferry over from St Thomas to St John, which is easy to do, or take a ship excursion if you want to play it safe.

St Thomas- Many activities and tons of shopping, but we always take the ferry over to St John. Megans Bay is the popular beach in St Thomas.

Aruba- White sand beaches (Palm and Eagle Beach), lots of beach bars and snorkel tours, easy to get around on your own. Fun island.

Barbados- Beautiful beaches, usually calm water, lots of snorkel/catamaran excursions many snorkel with sea turtles. Carlisle Bay is nice beach near port, but there are many, many more if you're adventurous.

Curacao- Very colorful port, lots of shopping, easy to rent car and drive to beaches on your own.

Peter Island- Absolutely beautiful, but you need to take the ferry from Tortola and it doesn't always leave enough time on Peter Island.

Virgin Gorda- The Bathes are something everyone should see at least once. Not a good choice for the very young or old, as it could be a little dangerous climbing through them- but worth it! Some ships stop at this port, others offer it as an excursion from Tortola. Nice beach at The Bathes, another less crowded one on the other side if you climb through boulders.

Grand Cayman- The stingray excursion is the highlight, beautiful water and white sand beaches.

Antigua- Lots of beaches, and history. We rented a car and saw everything on our own, as the taxis can get expensive to the best beaches. Many excursions and catamaran snorkel trips here.

There are many more, it just depends on what you want to do. On a Cozumel, Grand Cayman itinerary there seems to be a younger crowd. Look up some of the ports and search beaches and catamaran excursions and it will give you a better idea of what is offered in each port. This board is also full of information.

Thank you for that information.

Now after telling you all this, I still have to say that if you want the most beautiful tropical scenery, crystal clear turquoise water, and snorkeling of a lifetime- take the cruise to French Polynesia! It's a little pricey but sooooo worth it!

Unfortunately, I do not have anywhere near enough vacation time for a French Polynesia cruise, so that is not an option. I barely have even enough vacation time for a 7 night Caribbean cruise.

There will be plenty of water activities and catamaran sails in St Thomas, St Maarten, Barbados, Antigua, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. I would stick an itinerary that has some of these ports. You can book the ships tour which costs a little more, or book something on your own over the internet, but keep in mind that the ship WILL sail without you if you are on a private tour and they don't get you back in time. They usually run $69-$159 pp depending on how many hours and if they include lunch.

Dominica, Grenada, (in my opinion) are more for hiking in tropical forest than water activities.

Grand Turk has a beautiful beach right in port no need to take a tour, Margaritaville is right there with music and drinks, and free lounge chairs on beach. Fun relaxing day.

St Kitts- Take ships catamaran sail over Nevis, it's pretty much the same tour on all cruise lines, they take you snorkeling and have nice BBQ at beach in Nevis, almost forgot to mention the rum punch! (Careful, lol)

Tortola also has many beaches and options for water activities.

The cruise ship private islands are always a nice relaxing beach day.

If your itinerary has Samana, go to Cayo Levantado for a nice beach, (but I would avoid an itinerary with Dominican Republic if possible.)

The only itinerary we have not been on is Belize, Honduras, Costa Maya ports, there would be great snorkeling there too- but I have heard on this board there is a lot of poverty and it seems to bother some people.

I'm sure you will enjoy any itinerary which includes some of these ports. Not sure what time of year you had in mind, but the last week of November thru January is when we always go, the weather is good and the prices are great! We've made it a tradition to start the year off with a cruise for the last 6 years.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the info. There are 4 itineraries that I can find for the week that I'd be cruising. Which of these 4 would you recommend?

(7 day, Port Canaveral round trip): Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

(7 day, Miami round trip): San Juan (Puerto Rico), St. Thomas, St. Maarten

(7 day, Miami round trip): Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan (Puerto Rico), Grand Turk

(8 day, Fort Lauderdale round trip): San Juan (Puerto Rico), St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau

Which of those 4 would you recommend? Thank you.

First choice hands down would be the 8 day, more and better ports, and Ft. Lauderdale is sooo much easier to get in and out of. Both have San Juan. I would go to El Morro, then walk around the cobblestone streets and the path along the shore (below the Fort). Not sure what time you're in port, but night time is really fun and the path below the fort is all lit up. Everyone is out having fun.

Antigua- There will be a catamaran excursion I'm sure, take it for a fun day. There are like 365 beaches in Antigua, but taxis can be expensive to the better ones. Turner beach is nice. But there are many many more.

Tortola- I'd take the ship excursion to Virgin Gorda (the Baths) or take a taxi to the Peter Island ferry (about 5 minutes by taxi to ferry dock-but check the ferry schedule online to make sure you can get there and back with enough time to enjoy Peter Island (it's breathtaking). Tortola also has beautiful beaches and there will be many taxi drivers to take you and pick you up. Cane Garden is just one of them.

St Thomas- There should be a catamaran tour to St John(USVI), beautiful must see beaches. Megans Bay on St Thomas is also beautiful. Google them both.

Nassau- Haven't been there in years. Can't remember what beach we went to. Straw markets etc.

Second choice would be 7 day out of Miami.

Grand Turk- Just walk off port dock through shopping center and to the left is Margaritaville and the beach with lounge chairs.

Half Moon Cay is their private island- fun beach day.

The other itineraries have too many sea days for me, but some people enjoy them.

I can send you photos of some of the beaches if you like, just give me your email address.

Linda

First choice hands down would be the 8 day, more and better ports, and Ft. Lauderdale is sooo much easier to get in and out of.

Are you suggesting the 8 day because it is longer, or do you just think the ports on that cruise are better? Keep in mind that the 8 day would require 1 more vacation day, which is going to be a real stretch (even the 7 day cruises are a stretch as far as vacation time), so longer is not necessarily better.

Both have San Juan. I would go to El Morro, then walk around the cobblestone streets and the path along the shore (below the Fort). Not sure what time you're in port, but night time is really fun and the path below the fort is all lit up. Everyone is out having fun.

Both of the itineraries that go to San Juan are only there at night. How does that work as far as dining, since the port time would conflict with the dining times.

Antigua- There will be a catamaran excursion I'm sure, take it for a fun day. There are like 365 beaches in Antigua, but taxis can be expensive to the better ones. Turner beach is nice. But there are many many more.

Tortola- I'd take the ship excursion to Virgin Gorda (the Baths) or take a taxi to the Peter Island ferry (about 5 minutes by taxi to ferry dock-but check the ferry schedule online to make sure you can get there and back with enough time to enjoy Peter Island (it's breathtaking). Tortola also has beautiful beaches and there will be many taxi drivers to take you and pick you up. Cane Garden is just one of them.

The one common port this itinerary doesn't have is St. Maarten. How does that compare to these other ports, such as Antigua?

St Thomas- There should be a catamaran tour to St John(USVI), beautiful must see beaches. Megans Bay on St Thomas is also beautiful. Google them both.

Nassau- Haven't been there in years. Can't remember what beach we went to. Straw markets etc.

When I was in Nassau on a cruise in 2003, we did a catamaran sail and snorkeling excursion, which we really enjoyed, and would like to do something similar, unless we do it in another port. Later in the day we took a cab to a beach (don't know the name, but it was on Paradise Island), but it doesn't seem that these itineraries have enough time in Nassau to do both.

Second choice would be 7 day out of Miami.

Grand Turk- Just walk off port dock through shopping center and to the left is Margaritaville and the beach with lounge chairs.

What about the hurricane damage? I should also ask: what other ports were damaged by hurricanes?

Half Moon Cay is their private island- fun beach day.

Yes, I love private islands! But I'm trying to decide if it's worth doing this itinerary specifically for the private island.

The other itineraries have too many sea days for me, but some people enjoy them.

I can send you photos of some of the beaches if you like, just give me your email address.

Linda

Thanks :) My e-mail address is the same as my cruisecritic name, at aol.com. Thank you very much for your info.

mitsguy- I would pick the 8 day because it leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale and has nice ports. (Miami airport is a zoo) But our luck has been that Miami is usually the port our ship leaves out of.

I would not take a seven day cruise with only 3 ports, because the ports are a priority to us, not the ship. 2 days at sea is about all I can take on a 7 day cruise.

St Maarten and Anitigua are a toss up. We love them both. The last couple times we have been in St Maarten (in January) it was a little windy, but sunny, Antigua has been nice both times. There are 2 sides to St Maarten, Dutch and French. There's a fun beach bar in St Maarten where the planes fly right over you for landing. Be careful when one is taking off from across the street- you will get sand blasted if you are on the beach in front of them! See photo http://aptzero.com/pics/plane.jpg

We love San Juan, some people hate it. For us the night time is what makes it so unique. Everyone is out with there families and the boardwalk is lite up so pretty around the fort. I really have to send you photos, or ask my son how to post them on here, lol. There are so many places to eat in Old San Juan, some are little hole the wall places and some really expensive places. We walk everywhere through the cobblestone streets and everyone is very nice and friendly. They kick you off the boardwalk around the fort around 9:00 pm, I think.

If time is a problem then take the 7 day from Miami with the 4 ports. I'm not sure how soon you were going, but I don't think Grand Turk has that much to get destroyed, but I haven't looked into it. We are going there in January.

AussieKathy- We haven't been to Belize or Roatan (but want to go) Some people have said it's dirty, a waste of time, but they have said that about many of the ports we loved. It depends on what experience you're looking for. You have to look beyond what you might see right at the port. I know Belize and Roatan would be great for snorkeling/diving, but if your friends are expecting designer stores and expensive yachts like in St Barts- they will be disappointed. Unless they have educated themselves on Belize and Honduras and are avid snorkeler or divers, I don't know that I would suggest this itinerary. It's difficult to say because I don't know there age is or what they like to do.

St Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup and nice and clean. Samana is lush and beautiful, but the town was filthy when we were there a couple years ago, and the water around the dock was littered with trash. They just didn't have it together for tourism. We were disappointed was because it was so difficult to get to Cayo Levantado back then. But now most the cruise ships tender right to Cayo Levantado or offer it as an excursion. The town itself was pretty bad, (and we usually manage to see beyond that- but in this case we just couldn't, lol).

I hope this helps.

Hi AussieKathy, I'm currently trying to decide between the Mariner of the Seas and the NCL Pearl cruises in Western Caribbean. We're going in mid-November and are looking for great snorkelling and maybe a bit of diving and things like that.

The ports of call are:

RCI Mariner of the Seas: Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Port Canaveral, Florida

NCL Pearl: Roatan - Honduras; Belize City - Belize; Cozumel - Mexico; Great Stirrup Cay - Private island

Both are 7 nights and we're leaning towards the NCL one as I think it has better ports. We actually, it's not the actual port that matters, it's what you can do from that port as a base.

I'm no expert but I have spend a lot of time on here doing research and I can tell you that many people have had really great times in Roatan and Belize and both offer great snorkelling.

Seems like people are mixed on Cozumel but it still gets a lot of positive mentions around these boards. None of these 3 had anything negative said about them in the way I've seen a lot of negative remarks about Jamaica and Haiti on here, so we're ruling those out.

Here's what I think we'll do:

Roatan - diving and hopefully a bit of snorkelling.

Belize - undecided as the diving sounds great as does the snorkelling but the Mayan ruins (which is a full day trip) sound fascinating and offer the chance to see some wildlife maybe.

Cozumel - diving and/or snorkelling.

Grand Stirrup Cay - haven't found much info on this private NCL island yet but I'd say it's probably a relaxed beach day with maybe some snorkelling.

There's plenty of different things to do in these ports apart from the above so I'm happy this is the right fit for us (28 yr old couple), hope that helps.

Archived