Just got home from Mariner w/ Revised Itinerary

I really was not planning an in-depth review, but since the itinerary changed I thought some might be interested in a few bullet items on my impressions - especially due to the weather:

-Family of 4 with 12 and 6 yo girls. Have been on Navigator, Grand Princess, Wonder, and Monarch in the past.

-Arrived worried about Fay. No worries. Saw a few drops on Sat., but weather was great otherwise.

-Stayed at Radisson again. Everything was smooth. Swimming in the sun -yeah!!!

-First day at sea was windy as we headed on the (expected) Western itinerary. Sunny and warm though. Keeping a close eye on the on-board radar.

-Evening of first day, Capt. Jonny said that HQ and the Hurricane Center advised changing the itinerary. Instead of 4 stops on Western, we only would go to St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

-2nd day at sea was warm, mostly sunny, but very windy.

-3rd day was at St. Thomas. Beautiful weather. Went to Crown Bay port due to unexpected visit. Coral World and Coki Beach were the perfect level of excursion with the kids.

-4th day was at St. Maarten. Philipsburg beach and shopping was perfect level of excursion with kids. Warm and sunny, but a few passing drops in the pm. (Saw 'That Yoda Guy' while shopping - what a hoot.)

-5th and 6th day were sea days and weather was just about perfect.

-SO: Disappointed that my itinerary research did not pay off, but I was actually pleased with good-to-great weather. (Saw these islands on an earlier cruise, but never with the kids.) I think others on board were more disappointed than us - especially those in the long excursion lines the first couple of days f- all for naught.

(Other quick comments)

-Embarkation/Debarkation: Similar to Disney in outstanding speed and service.

-Food: Very good in dining room. OK-to-Good in windjammer.

-Service: Great all around.

-Shows: Comedians and juggler were quite good. The singers/dancers were only so-so (crowd was definitely not in it for them though either). Ice show was good.

-Cruise director ABE was OK. He was a bit inexperienced, but the it did not detract too much. (Virtual high-five to those that were on the ship - you know what I mean.)

-Capt Johnny was great. He was much more entertaining than any other captain. He certainly likes his job (and being a celebrity). He had a book signing (nuff said). His updates on the weather were top notch.

-Kids clubs: Mixed. My 6 year old was very happy, and everything was well done and organized. My 12 year old was bored. The schedule for her was not met often, and she was clearly bummed about the experience. She had an outstanding Disney Wonder experience last year, so this was a let down for her and us.

I would be glad to answer any questions.

Did RCCL offer any future discount or money back due to only going to 2 islands instead of 4? Did they offer additional on-board activities due to the added days at sea? We sail on the Mariner on Sept. 7th. We have cruised many times, but 5 of a total of 9 of us have never cruised before. I am afraid they will be disappointed with possible changes in the itinerary. I do hope we get to go to Labadee. Thanks for posting so quickly for those of us who are awaiting our sail dates and wondering what to expect. It was great to hear that the weather was pretty good, considering all of the issues with the hurricanes, etc.

-'That Yoda Guy' is a guy by the name of Nick Maley who designed the Yoda character in the Star Wars. He has a shop in Philipsburg, Saint Maarten for the last 1-2 years, and previously had (still has) a shop in Antigua (for 20 years or so according to his wife). He sells prints, art, etc. with Star Wars and other movie themes. He will sign whatever you buy. (We bought a small photo of him with the original Yoda for my brother-in-law for Christmas - he is a total Star Wars freak.)

-RCCL gave each of us a $22 (or so) credit for the change in itinerary. I think that the on-board activities were pretty similar to any sea day. They had to rush a new cruise compass for Day 3 and there were a few mistakes. As for any new-cruiser disappointments, my philosophy is always 'plan like crazy ahead of time (it is half the fun), but go with the flow during your trip.'

Did RCCL offer any future discount or money back due to only going to 2 islands instead of 4?

I was curious about this as well. I have had cruises with changed itineraries but we always ended up going to the same number of ports.

cal me sick and twisted...but i have been on 7 cruises, sept 28 will be 8, and NEVER had a itinerary change. i kinda look forward to one. i mean, im there to get away from everything at home, bills, work, school, stress, etc.. and just being on the ship is good enuff for me. i do enjoy the ports of call, but i can take a 7 night cruise to nowhere, and just be on a ship for 7 str8 days. i think the "wanting" a change is the feeling that where we will end up is a crap shoot....and i like that....

like i said...call me wierd

greg

We are preparing for our cruise in October and wanted to book some excursions ahead of time. With the active hurricane season in full bloom, what happens if you have booked an excursion with the ship? Do they give you full credit on your credit card or is it OBC? What about booking excursions with an external company? I am left deciding if we should book so far out. Advice would be greatly appreciated on this one.

Thanking you in advance.

We are preparing for our cruise in October and wanted to book some excursions ahead of time. With the active hurricane season in full bloom, what happens if you have booked an excursion with the ship? Do they give you full credit on your credit card or is it OBC? What about booking excursions with an external company? I am left deciding if we should book so far out. Advice would be greatly appreciated on this one.

Thanking you in advance.

If you book through the cruiseline, I believe that they refund your money back to the CC that you booked it with.

With an external company, you would have to find out what their policy is ahead of time. Any of the outside excursion companies that we have booked in the past have had a policy of a full refund if the port was cancelled, but I would not assume that and would check with the company and get their policy in writing before booking.

Thanking you in advance.

If they switch ports or just cancel the excursions you will get a full refund and the money will be credited to the credit card you have on your seapass account not the original one unless of course they are the same one. LOL

If you are booked privately it is a major question to ask and get the answer in writing.

Archived