alternative way of travel to Brooklyn

Oslo Dutch

It's probably been mentioned before but Ikea has opened a big store in Brooklyn around the corner from the Cunard cruise terminal

The BBC has made the following report

I am seriously considering it on October 16th when I have to change ship from QE2 to QM2 :)

Reint

We have thought about it, they charge $6 each way unless your an ikea customer and have a stamp to prove it, I dont see how that will work if your going to ikea or the QM2 , still free or $6 its a cheap way to get there, then get a cab the rest of the way.

anyone know more about it. on the other hand its only $35 £20 for a taxi the whole way and they take all your bags,

Go online and look up dial7 limo service in New York City. Arrange for them to take you from the QE2 to the QM2. If you want them to drop you off in Manhattan (eat lunch or shop), you can set it up. The ferry is not worth the hassle. Make it easy on yourself.

One man's opinion.

Bill in NJ

Hi I live in Brooklyn and I was at the IKEA on Saturday. I wouldn't exactly call it around the corner from the cruise dock. It is probably only a 10-15 minute walk but I don't think I would do it if I was carting luggage.

Are both ships going to be in Brooklyn? If so, it is not a bad way of getting into Manhattan for some sightseeing. I have taken it a couple times and it is quick ride with good views. But if one ship is in Manhattanh and you are going to have all your stuff with you, then I would recommend a cab.

Ginger

We have thought about it, they charge $6 each way unless your an ikea customer and have a stamp to prove it, I dont see how that will work if your going to ikea or the QM2 , still free or $6 its a cheap way to get there, then get a cab the rest of the way.

anyone know more about it. on the other hand its only $35 £20 for a taxi the whole way and they take all your bags,

Rob

I had not heard of the charge. How do they know you are not shopping If you are going TO shop. As this would be the case if using the water taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn (Ikea). I understand for going the opposite way ( Ikea to Manhattan). Just curious.

Denise

P.S. Reint the Ikea is not exactly around the corner from QM2. It is a little distance.

PS They weren't asking you to prove you actually bought anything at IKEA on Saturday, when I rode it into the city, but there have been rumors of that kind of policy being put into place.

Ginger

I have heard that the "triage" system may go into effect when the potiential passengers exceed capacity of the boat.

Denise

Rob

I had not heard of the charge. How do they know you are not shopping If you are going TO shop. As this would be the case if using the water taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn (Ikea). I understand for going the opposite way ( Ikea to Manhattan). Just curious.

Denise

P.S. Reint the Ikea is not exactly around the corner from QM2. It is a little distance.

Well I saw it the same way, how would they know on the way TO Ikea and I think if we used it after the party we will ok, just hop on and taxi from Ikea, maybe hard from the Ikea to NYC, that said how would you explain shopping with several lardge bags, carry on and other items needed for the cruise LOL, that could prove a problem.

At the moment its new, but there calls for the $6 charge to placed on it, interesting to see.

did you find out anything about the cab ride there and back ?

are you watching jeopardy still?

rob

:D :D Well the ferry staff may not be NASA but even they can spot someone with 3 suitcase and think " Oooh not the normal visitor to IKEA" rofl:D :D

Dont be so sure, I went to the one in Bristol, Dont even ask me why I went there, I wish to god I never had, im sure though there some there with suitcases, ??????? who know what goes em, flat packed tables ??? maybe

And i always thought Bristol was a classy place. I confess I went to Ikea in Croydon and there were security poles outside the store that were set so close together to prevent you taking trolleys past them. Good idea really except they stopped you taking the trolley to your car which is parked beyond them. So you left your trolley and drove the car to where you had left it unattended.... in Croydon my gawd...

LOL

Well I saw it the same way, how would they know on the way TO Ikea and I think if we used it after the party we will ok, just hop on and taxi from Ikea, maybe hard from the Ikea to NYC, that said how would you explain shopping with several lardge bags, carry on and other items needed for the cruise LOL, that could prove a problem.

At the moment its new, but there calls for the $6 charge to placed on it, interesting to see.

did you find out anything about the cab ride there and back ?

are you watching jeopardy still?

rob

They probably want to charge in order to discourage to regular commuters from using it. They do have other ferrys from various locations for about that same price for them.

Have not tried scouting out the cab situation yet. Frankly I hardly know how to hail one myself, believe it or not. And I absolutely am still watching jeopardy.

Denise

We will be changing from QE2 to QM2 that day also. Cunard tell us that they will transfer our luggage, leaving us with 'carry on' type bags. We would like to see a little of NY & thought about doing the Downtown Loop of the Hop-on, Hop-off bus (about 2 to 3 hours) before getting a cab to the ship. Cab from ship to bus, then cab from bus to ship. Maybe we could share? I do not think we will have time to hop off the hop on.

Graham.

P.S. We will be getting on the Eurodam when you get off next February!

They probably want to charge in order to discourage to regular commuters from using it. They do have other ferrys from various locations for about that same price for them.

Have not tried scouting out the cab situation yet. Frankly I hardly know how to hail one myself, believe it or not. And I absolutely am still watching jeopardy.

Denise

They will have to do something otherwise everyone will use it, i think they said a stamp on your hand from Ikea, so maybe a charge that is refundable on purchase, but anyone with a bag or 2 is not getting on I think.

I would have thought that Cunard would transported passengers from the QE2 to the QM2 as well as baggage?

They will have to do something otherwise everyone will use it, i think they said a stamp on your hand from Ikea, so maybe a charge that is refundable on purchase, but anyone with a bag or 2 is not getting on I think.

I would have thought that Cunard would transported passengers from the QE2 to the QM2 as well as baggage?

I've read that they will transport both passengers and their luggage. I believe mention was made also about passengers allowed to take the "scenic" route between the two ships, but you may want to confirm those possible excursions on board.

Not sure why some are agonizing about alternative transportation to the Sequoia restaurant, when it has been established that the cost for a taxi will likely be under $20. That's not per person, folks: they hold at least three passengers...:rolleyes:

I've read that they will transport both passengers and their luggage. I believe mention was made also about passengers allowed to take the "scenic" route between the two ships, but you may want to confirm those possible excursions on board.

Not sure why some are agonizing about alternative transportation to the Sequoia restaurant, when it has been established that the cost for a taxi will likely be under $20. That's not per person, folks: they hold at least three passengers...:rolleyes:

I dont know people want to travel in 7 star lucky and not pay $20 to $35 for a cab, to us that a mere £10 to £18 lol.

Cuanrd will of course transfer passengers and bags if your changing ships so I understand that problem either.

as long as eveyone is happy , we aim to get to party by cab now and if we can shaore all the more for cocktails.mmmmmmmm yellowbirds are calling me?

rob

Guest Anorak33
I dont know people want to travel in 7 star lucky and not pay $20 to $35 for a cab, to us that a mere £10 to £18 lol.

Cuanrd will of course transfer passengers and bags if your changing ships so I understand that problem either.

as long as eveyone is happy , we aim to get to party by cab now and if we can shaore all the more for cocktails.mmmmmmmm yellowbirds are calling me?

rob

Think you need to check the current £ / $ exchange rate, down from $2 to £1 now to $1.75 to £1.

Now the pound is following the rest of the country, down the pan.

We will be changing from QE2 to QM2 that day also. Cunard tell us that they will transfer our luggage, leaving us with 'carry on' type bags. We would like to see a little of NY & thought about doing the Downtown Loop of the Hop-on, Hop-off bus (about 2 to 3 hours) before getting a cab to the ship. Cab from ship to bus, then cab from bus to ship. Maybe we could share? I do not think we will have time to hop off the hop on.

Graham.

P.S. We will be getting on the Eurodam when you get off next February!

I'm not sure how much this happens, but here is an almost horror story, of sorts. On our March cruise to Panama and the Caribbean on the QM2, there was a couple that flew from the U.K. on the day of the cruise, arriving at the airport about 1 P.M. They got a cab and planned to arrive at the ship in plenty of time for the 7 P.M. departure. The cab began the trek to the ship terminal, but never arrived until well after 6 P.M. It seems the driver got lost!!!!

I believe from everything I have read, that there are many cabbies who are not particularly familiar with just where Brooklyn's terminal is..

We arrived in a stretch limo and our driver had not a clue where the terminal was, either Had we not had directions, we may have had a four hour ride ourselves.

Moral--just slip directions to the terminal into your carry-on, they just might come in handy!

Well a lot of messages about this topic.

I basically posted it from a point of view of getting of the QE2 in the morning, wander around town, have lunch and then to make my way to Brooklyn.

As I will not have any luggage I thought it would have been a nice change to take the ferry to Brooklyn and walk the last bit.

However I will see what I will do. It all depends when we are allowed off the QE2 and what time we have to be back onboard the QM2. And it depends what Cunard offers us too.

Reint

Well a lot of messages about this topic.

I basically posted it from a point of view of getting of the QE2 in the morning, wander around town, have lunch and then to make my way to Brooklyn.

As I will not have any luggage I thought it would have been a nice change to take the ferry to Brooklyn and walk the last bit.

However I will see what I will do. It all depends when we are allowed off the QE2 and what time we have to be back onboard the QM2. And it depends what Cunard offers us too.

Reint

Ah well now you didnt say no abgs, If you have no bags, then go for it, I dont think they would stop you going and when your there I think it is a 25 min walk or so to the ship

Just how close is Ikea to the terminal? I know that we were considering going to NYC the morning of the cruise by train. That would have gotten us in to NYC quite early. I was looking for that sort of thing. Just a place to hangout, look around--they have a restaurant-- so in that case, it would have become very handy--but only if it is a short walk back to the terminal.

Just how close is Ikea to the terminal? I know that we were considering going to NYC the morning of the cruise by train. That would have gotten us in to NYC quite early. I was looking for that sort of thing. Just a place to hangout, look around--they have a restaurant-- so in that case, it would have become very handy--but only if it is a short walk back to the terminal.

That should be interesting. Don't forget your galoshes.

G.

Archived