A Caution

Roboat

I hesitate to mention this, since I can't verify it, but I think I should.

On our Zuiderdam visit to Cozumel on 10/18, a couple reported to us that they saw a young woman returning to our ship with blood all over her clothes who had reportedly been sexually assaulted in Cozumel. She had rented a horse and gone off on her own. The couple said you should not go off on your own in Cozumel. [u]Now please know that this is purely hearsay[/u]. I don't know any more than that. I hadn't heard it before. But I would say that, after hearing that, I [i]personally[/i] would at least use the buddy system on all shore excursions.

My own experience is Cozumel was great. Went on the HAL Beach Break at Playa Mia, formerly Playa del Sol. Shared a $14 taxi ride each way, $27 for the beach, pool, and open bar. Not crowded. They'll add more rum to the drinks if you ask nice.;)

While I have never heard of an incident of rape or anything like that, I will say that my own experience on shore alone in Mexico (at Costa Maya - not in Cozumel) convinced me to never go off alone again.

My DH and I went back on the ship for lunch and he decided to stay on board. I wanted to sun and swim at the pier there, so I went back out. I stayed right near the pier, but everytime I went near any one of the male shop keepers, I was sexually harrassed - everything from asking if I wanted a Mexican boyfriend to putting their arms around me and trying to pull me into their shops to showing me their sexually explicit items for sale. Now, these were the exact same men who were polite to us when DH and I were together on shore in the morning!

I think the Mexican men think a woman alone is fair game and "looking for something." I also would not recommend allowing teen girls to go off without adults present, either.

I spend a lot of time in Cozumel - sometimes on my own, sometimes with my husband. I've NEVER had the type of experiences described above. I've found the people of Cozumel to be wonderful, courteous and friendly. Having said that, women traveling alone should always use good common sense... IMO Cozumel is a very safe place.

I cruise solo and have never felt unsafe in Cozumel. Actually, Cozumel is one of the places I feel most comfortable grabbing a cab and heading off on my own. Of course, I use common sense about where I go, just as I would in an American city.

Shopkeepers standing outside stores in San Miguel have made comments that I considered lewd and offensive. I realize that there may be cultural differences, and the comments perhaps were not meant in the way I took them. I just gave the men a wide berth and kept walking. I never felt unsafe. These shops were on side streets, and I don't walk on side streets alone.

I hope the story you heard wasn't true! I take stories received 2'nd/3'rd hand with a big grain of salt. It's at least as likely the woman was bloodied from a fall from her horse and rumors got started.

Archived