Question about Rhine

stired

I am planning a European river cruise (1st river cruise and 1st trip to Europe) for Sept. 2009 and I can't decide between 2 different itineraries. My 1st thought was to do a Viking "Cities of Light" trip from Paris to Prague because I've never been to Paris and I have read a lot on these boards that the Moselle River is very beautiful.

However, since this trip obviously joins the Rhine south of Amsterdam and Cologne, I wondered if I would be missing much.

The other option is to do a "Rhine Getaway" trip which cruises from Amsterdam to Basel on the Rhine.

My question for those of you who have been there, is which trip would be more scenic: either the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel (including Cologne) or the trip from Paris which includes Moselle, part of the Rhine, the Main and Prague.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!:)

I have done the Amsterdam - Basel trip. The scenery is not what you would call spectacular, though the Rhine Gorge was lovely and the included excursions were interesting (We had a good time and really enjoyed the cruise though). As this is your first trip to Europe I agree with cincyAL that Paris is a must see. I have been 5 times (from Australia so a fair hike from here) and would go again at anytime.

I am not sure about the Moselle in terms of being beautiful as I haven't been on a river cruise along it but the itinerary - Paris - Prague sounds just wonderful and would be the one I would choose.

Thanks so much for your replies. I pretty much came to the same conclusion, but it's always nice to get feedback from those that have been there! :D

Enjoyed your pics of Alaska. Most are postcard quality. Thanks for sharing.

Enjoyed your pics of Alaska. Most are postcard quality. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much. Alaska is one of my favorite places!

By the way, my TA told me that AMA doesn't sail their own ships, but that's not what their website says. Does anyone know whether that's true or not?

I'm not sure what you mean by sailing their own ships. AMA owns the ships and their employees are onboard. They have a relationship with APT, Australian Pacific Touring, for cabins, but I believe that your TA is wrong on this one; we sat with the Captain one night, and he said that they are definitely AMA ships.

Charlotte

Archived