Complaints,complaints What Would Make You Write A Letter?

mustlovecruising

The first and only time I've written a letter was for my Baltic cruise in July where my toilet didn't work for most of eight days of the 10-day cruise and I got very poor or non-response from the Passenger Services Desk to my 2x - 3x daily calls or stops by the Desk. As it turned out, they didn't even log most of my calls/reports nor those by my steward's supervisor. That was about four weeks ago; haven't heard a response yet.

A letter would be written by me IF the problem onboard was a major one (not a piddly whine). That the problem was actually the fault of the cruise line and not one made by myself because of being irresponsible in researching, planning or packing or not reporting something that could be fixed with a simple phone call or a stop by the purser's desk.

Way too many complaints 'after the fact' lately on these boards where passengers waited to leave the ship before reporting a problem or complaining. It's almost like they think on the way home, WOW, I can possibly get compensation for that, I think I will write a letter and complain. Totally ridiculous IMHO!

Pam has a perfect example of when I would write a letter to Princess after a cruise. She called, she reported it, she called again, and again and again, and this went day after day for almost her entire cruise. This I would consider the fault of the cruise line and nothing Pam did to cause it. It was a MAJOR problem causing her to disrupt her cruise many times and it was something that could have been repaired, but it seems the ships staff tried to put a temporairy fix to a major problem. Pam, I probably would have written a book about this one to Princess. ;)

But in order to write a letter of complaint, something would have to have really disrupted my voyage that was the fault of the cruise line, and the cruise line alone.

A letter would be written by me IF the problem onboard was a major one (not a piddly whine). That the problem was actually the fault of the cruise line and not one made by myself because of being irresponsible in researching, planning or packing or not reporting something that could be fixed with a simple phone call or a stop by the purser's desk.

Way too many complaints 'after the fact' lately on these boards where passengers waited to leave the ship before reporting a problem or complaining. It's almost like they think on the way home, WOW, I can possibly get compensation for that, I think I will write a letter and complain. Totally ridiculous IMHO!

I agree 100%. Many people post "complaints" and then are surprised when people respond with questions or answers that point out how poorly the OP has done their research or how unbelieveable their expectations were.

The only time I have felt the need to write to Princess corporate Office, was to write a complimentary letter for our room steward who went above the call of duty, when my late husband had a stroke, and we had to leave the ship early. He was amazing......and I had to let them know.

I think something would have to be seriously wrong with my cruise before I would write a letter of complaint.

Of course, even the best cruise line/ship in the world will have missteps, equipment failures, and just plain things that go wrong. My motto (which I try to live by, but sometimes fail) is "you cannot control everything that happens to you, you can only control how you react to it". Therefore, when things go wrong I try to be understanding and polite when getting things taken care of. What will send me to my typewriter..okay computer, is when customer service is disinterested, uncooperative, or worse rude and accusatory. Even then it has to be pretty egregious to get me to write a letter.

It does not take nearly as much for me to write a complimentary letter. So many are so quick to complain, but don't take the time to go out of their way to give a compliment. I have written letters, waited on hold for a supervisor, and asked to see a manager in person many many times to compliment an employee whose extra effort or bright upbeat personality has helped me with a problem or even just made me "feel" better about the situation. the Manager, supervisor or CEO alway seem surprised that someone would take the extra time to relay GOOD news.

It always makes my day.

I wouldn't write to the home office to complain about things the only the Man Upstairs has control over-ie: weather, missed ports, late planes etc.

I wouldn't complain about average food and bad coffee.

I would take responsibility to do my research before the cruise regarding dress codes, smoking etc.

I would not expect compensation unless something totally interrupted my enjoyment of the cruise-such as Pam's nonworking bathroom facilities.

Well, when my daughter found a water bug in her blueberry muffin, I didn't write to complain. I've worked in insurance claims for 30 years so have heard much worse. And with getting supplies in FL, home of t-rex bugs, not so surprising.

I DO wish I had written about the lack of follow through after we talked to a manager in the buffet, ie no phone call from the higher up as they promised, a simple apology, here have a smoothie - something to her would have been nice. But time went by fast and just not worth it in the long run.

So it would take a lot for me to complain.

One can always try complaining to the "Person" Upstairs. May be the responses from "Upstairs" would be more sympathetic than the responses some appear to have received to their complaints to Princess!

I wouldn't write to the home office to complain about things the only the Man Upstairs has control over-ie: weather, missed ports, late planes etc.

Closest we ever came to writing a letter was when the post cruise excursion in Puerto Rico was really bad (our entire bus rebelled due to the poor experience- locked in a hot bus while the driver went to lunch). This was out of Princess' control, but they needed to know the poor customer experience for a Princess authorized excursion. I am sure others on the bus did complain.

For anything onboard, we have found that a word to our steward or quick phone call to the appropriate desk was sufficient.

We've never had a repeated experience like Pam's, and hope that luck continues for all of us.

Our worst cruise experience has made for an interesting story on other cruises and was not on a Princess ship.

About 4 yrs ago, we booked an "unobstructed" cabin on the old Royal Princess for a 30 day cruise from Rome to Bangkok thru the Suez. Usually we book a "guarantee" and are willing to take our chances on an upgrade. But this trip was different--wanted port side, unobstructed. I thought I had researched out the cabins available and picked the "right" one. Imagine our surprise when we checked in, opened the curtain and there was a "damn" davit running from lower corner to upper corner of the window. Down to the purser -- people on other side had already been down, but ship was full! We took pictures of the "view" from our cabin (the only one who had unobstructed view was a dove who hitched a ride and sat on the "damn" davit for hours), and upon returned I checked with reservations to see if I had missed something. They had nothing on the davit. I sent pictures and a letter to Princess requesting a credit (not a refund) for the difference between "obstructed"/"unobstructed" cabin. We were given $500.00 pp credit. It is necessary to tell them what you want from them and I think requesting a credit vs. money will help your case.

There would have to be something so incredibly awful, so catastrophically terrible that the situation became truly unbearable.

Anytime you leave home, anytime you travel or get behind the wheel of your car, board an airplane, register at a hotel, step on a cruise ship or a ferry or train, subway, taxi, things can happen.

There have been annoying circumstances. There have been a few times where only persistence paid off. But there has never, ever - in 200+ cruises, been an incident that was so horrendous that I would ever "write to the cruise line" to complain.

My cruise dollars are spent on good quality cruises. I spend a lot of time researching, planning, selecting my cabin, selecting the itinerary. I only cruise on the majors cruise lines, avoiding those "cheapies" that sell $199.00 cruises on rust buckets that should have been retired years ago.

So, when something goes awry, it's simply an annoyance, and inconvenience. It's not because of sloppy maintainance, uncaring crew or staff or rotten service.

I do always take the time, however, to write a complimentary letter when the situation calls for it. If I've had really good service from a particular crew member, I'll write.... If the ship looked particularly fine after coming out of dry dock, I'll write. If the Captain had to change a port and ships personnel took the complaints without totally blowing their top, I write.

Too many people feel entitled. Too many complain in writing hoping to get some sort of compensation....a letter of apology or credit towards their next cruise or a partial refund. Otherwise, there would be no purpose in writing a letter of complaint. Not to a major cruise line.

Too many people are not used to traveling and expect everything to be perfect, expect nothing adverse to happen. They've "paid good money for" a vacation and expect someone to kiss their booboo if something goes wrong.

I would write a letter if I had been in Pam's cabin. A toilet that does not work is certainly more than an inconveniance. I have only written a letter once when we cruised to Alaska. We booked a shore excursion through Princess and I felt they should know that the vehicles used were unsafe. In fact two passengers were physically injured and had to be hospitalized.

I would definitely write if I had Pam's cabin.

On our Star Princess cruise we were with a group. One of the members had a cabin that creaked whenever the ship was in motion. It was like a clunking under the floor board. It kept them from sleeping and by day 3 they were exhausted and forced to nap while the ship was in port.

They made the calls, they visited the purser, people came to investigate and verified the clunking and yet no one did anything to help. They always claim the ship is full and I highly doubt that was true. In that case, I think they should have written a letter. They instead decided that they would never sail on Princess again. I can't say I blame them.

We always complete ‘You made a difference’ cards during the cruise and keep them in our cabin until the last day, that way we do not forget anyone who did make a difference.

This year we did have a problem with our transport from Miami to the UK, as we had booked a full package with Princess i.e. flights, pre-cruise hotel and cruise. We did write a letter not of complaint or seeking compensation but for information so that they could look at the systems and hopefully know one else would be abandoned at the airport as we were. I won’t bore you with all the details but our booking had been cancelled fortunately we are experienced travellers and made some swift calls to Princess UK and they got us on the flight, within 10 days of sending the letter we had a reply and an apology along with a considerable credit for our next cruise. I think a constructive letter will always get a better response than a moany hysterical letter. I did write back and thank them for the credit.

We have picked up the phone to gripe 3 times in about 12 cruises(while on the ship). Once because a bathroom problem for my wifes parents cabin. Really never got it fixed on a sold out cruise. HAL gave them a $200.00 credit on that cruise.

Once for a cabin who stored most of what they owned in the hallway. Cruiseline did the best they could to get them to put things in their cabin!

Once on new hardsided luggage that came off the Airline in perfect condition and got to our cabin dented and cracked and in unbelievable condition. The cruiseline unpgraded our cabin to a balcony from an oceanview. (all ready had been upgraded from a guaranteed inside)

I think that the cruiselines in the old days bent over backwards to keep everyone happy and as the word got out more an more people started griping and things turned in to what it is today.

Do you think the cruiselines factor in credits in the cost of our cruises? Maybe they do so we all pay for them anyway.

In all our years of cruising with Princess I found it necessary only one time to write a letter of criticism and that was not with Princess but with Steiner the great :confused: operator of the spas. Not only did I get a personally written letter back from Princess I also received a response from Steiner along with a product catalogue and a hefty free voucher.

If Princess has lacked in any response area it is when I write letters of compliment. I'm never sure the subject of my letters has been advised of the accolade or rewarded in any fashion. But, that won't stop me from writing them when they are deserved.

I am very understanding for the most part and wouldn't write letters for most things, but on my first cruise last year for my honeymoon, I had to go to the service desk for 3 days a total of 5 times to finally get the honeymoon package I ordered to my room. (this was the only part of my cruise that wasn't fanstastic) I didn't want my wife to know so I had to keep sneaking off and she would wonder why I seemed annoyed at times. I was all but ready to write letters and write off princess, but in the end it wound up being free so I was willing to let it go. I know it is kind of an overpriced package and to me they did the right thing by giving it to me at no charge. In a situation like that I beleive letters would definitely be warranted.

We have picked up the phone to gripe 3 times in about 12 cruises(while on the ship). Once because a bathroom problem for my wifes parents cabin. Really never got it fixed on a sold out cruise. HAL gave them a $200.00 credit on that cruise.

Once for a cabin who stored most of what they owned in the hallway. Cruiseline did the best they could to get them to put things in their cabin!

Once on new hardsided luggage that came off the Airline in perfect condition and got to our cabin dented and cracked and in unbelievable condition. The cruiseline unpgraded our cabin to a balcony from an oceanview. (all ready had been upgraded from a guaranteed inside)

I think that the cruiselines in the old days bent over backwards to keep everyone happy and as the word got out more an more people started griping and things turned in to what it is today.

Do you think the cruiselines factor in credits in the cost of our cruises? Maybe they do so we all pay for them anyway.

You did exactly the right thing. Issues onboard need to be handled onboard. Writing a long, complaining letter after the fact is totally useless. Nothing runs smoothly 100% of the time. Problems crop up and need to be dealt with onsite......not weeks later in a letter of complaint.

Frankly, if the OP wants to write a letter of complaint, that's his right to do so. But, to expect anything in return is simply silly. He's looking for something he's not going to get and will forever rail at not getting it.

And, before anyone accuses me of being a "cheerleader", let me say I haven't stepped on a Princess ship in 10 years.. My comments are simply common sense.....and applies to all cruise companies.

I'm certainly not shy in writing if I was unhappy about any matter but, as has been pointed out on this thread, the convenience of Cruise Critic and similar sites means that there is no excuse for preparation and planning by those who have access to such, thereby lessening the chance of things going wrong. However, strikes me that the majority of complaints on cruises and, indeed, any holiday, are the fellow passengers, who seem to think that rules,lines requests etc do not apply to them and certainly not their children ! Only cruised once. No issues with Princess at all but some of the passengers should have been thrown into the Caribbean (with concrete block attached) if I had my way.

In 2004 we took and New England /Canada cruise out of New York. We were on the Grand Princess. Well the whole thing started when we turned the corner at the pier and found bumper to bumper traffic, the Grand had gotten into port late because of fog coming across (transatlantic.) After an hour in traffic, we finally got to the pier and waited in line for another hour and a half in 90 degree weather in the HOT terminal with not even an explaination as to why we were waiting. Not even a bottle of water. We finally get on the ship and we are told the new cruise director was in line with all of us. The crew never got a chance to get off the ship and the whole trip seemed to be one step off. No one on this cruise was happy. This was the only time being on a Princess ship that we found ourselves feeling crowded. We lovingly called this the trip from hell. We wrote Princess about the trouble we had getting to dinner having to go through all the public areas and then trying to get by the line for the Princess Theatre and a couple other log jams that we encountered. My husband also offered some solutions, we did not hear from Princess for close to two months. When they finally did contact us they offered their apology and some future cruise credits. They said that they did pass our letter along to the proper departments and thanked us for the suggestions. That was the last time that we felt crowded, they have used some of the suggestions and just managed to move people better by staggering times of different things that need to use the public areas, ietheatre line, photography area, bars, lounges. Of course we have not been back on the Grand , but if the oppurtunity arises we will certainly try it again.

Archived