Stonehenge & Bath Tour

twoatsea

I can recommend the Roman Baths tour.

In the past couple of years this has now also reopened as an authentic Thermal Spa - which may be worth a look if you fancy something unique

http://www.thermaebathspa.com/

The Roman Baths are separate to the Thermal Spa which is fabulous - it is a Spa with pools, steam rooms etc. The open-air pool on the roof is wonderful with stunning views across the city. You will need your swimming kit and a few hours to do it justice though. It is very close to the Roman Baths but not in the same complex and there are separate admission charges.

If you have enough time in Bath though, I'd thoroughly recommend both attractions.

2. There was a Salisbury city bus that ran from the train station out to Stonehenge. It waited for about 45 minutes and then brought us back to Salisbury.

Sadly they stopped the public bus that used to run from Salisbury to Stonehenge. They have replaced it with a special 'Stonehenge Tour bus', physically the same type of double deck bus but with a Stonehenge paint job. It works on a hop on, hop off principle (the only other stops other than the rail station and bus station at Salisbury being the Iron Age hill fort at Old Sarum.)

The bad news is that they charge an 11 GBP fare plus admissions to Stonehenge (currently 6.50 GBP adult) , a lot more than the old public bus.

I just returned from Stonehenge and Bath.

We did it by car rental on the way from Bristol Airport (Wonderful!!! After 15 minutes you are at the car rental...) to Southampton...

While Bath was nice and we liked very much the Gregorian Garden and the "classical" Architecture...

2008-Vent-00025-Bath.jpg

2008-Vent-00024-Bath.jpg

2008-Vent-00026-Bath.jpg

Stonehenge was somehow disappointing...

2008-Vent-00054-Stonehenge.jpg

But did we miss something or was there no more than this bunch of stones...

To do it on transit from Briston to Southampton was o.k. - but an extra day from somewhere would be too much.

I saw somehow this "construction" to enjoy the equinox in Mexico but this was much more ambitious...

While my friend was very excited and felt in love with each single stone, I preferred to count...

2008-Vent-00057-Stonehenge.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived