Crown Princess Dining

shartzog71

We are sailing on the Crown Princess in November and I am interested in more details on Sabatinis, the Crown Grill, and Vines Wine Bar. Can anyone recommend the Balcony Breakfast?

DW and I did the balcony breakfast, on the CB in Sept 2007, and it certainly is a lot of food, and you can have it customized, but we would not do it again. We just don't see the value in it. :o

I cannot comment on Sabitinis, CG, or Vines, as we did not do Sabitinis on the CB, and they don't have a CG or Vines (yet).

We are sailing on the Crown Princess in November and I am interested in more details on Sabatinis, the Crown Grill, and Vines Wine Bar. Can anyone recommend the Balcony Breakfast?

Dinner at Sabatini's is a wonderful experience. Just don't eat much during the day, and stay away from the bread on the table. The food they serve you is plentiful and you want to save room for it all. You select only your entree(secundi piatti) and you will be served small portions of everything else on the menu(except other entrees.) DH and I love the veal chop entree. It melts in your mouth. The ambiance at Sabatini's is romantic and elegant. Have pre-dinner cocktails next door at Adagio...oh, and you can have your coffee and dessert served there too.

The Crown Grill feels like an old English gentlemen's club with it's dark woods and leather decor. They serve great steaks, lobster and other items. There is an additional charge for the Maine lobster and Australian lobster tail, but they do have other lobster tails that have no additional fee. Be nice to your waiter and you will get lots of extras.:D If you are a chocolate fan, get the Double Dutch Chocolate Molten Cake. It's to die for.

Vines is one of my favoite spots on the Crown. It's a wine bar in the Piazza. They serve glasses, bottles and wine flights. They also have their own sushi chef who prepares fresh sushi to order for only $3 for 3 pieces...and extras. It's delicious! They also have complimentary cheese and crackers there.

Just across the piazza is the International Cafe...not to be passed over. They serve lots of goodies all day and evening, including those irresistable freshly baked(right there) cookies and brownies. They also make those luscious croissants.,,chocolate ones too. Most items there have no fees. The candied items and the gelato carry a nominal fee that are listed on each item. Try the shrimp salad there...those shrimp are enormous!

We haven't order the balcony breakfast as yet, so I can't comment on that.:o

Any other questions?

Here is the Crown Grill Menu for you to check out.

CROWN GRILL, PREMIUM SEAFOOD AND CHOP HOUSE

Cover charge $25 per person

APPETIZERS:

Black Tiger Prawn and Papaya Salpicon, Mustard Seed Aioli, Anna Potato Salad

Carpaccio of Pine Nut Coated lamb Loin, gooseberry Chutney, Minted Pear Spaghettini

Cherrystone Clam Bake, Baby corn, Red Bliss Potatoes, Pearl Onions, sugared Tomatoes

Mediterreanean Style Spiny Lobster Cake, Tarragon Foam, Cured Olives, Grilled Asparagus

North Pacific Sea Scallop and Pan Seared Foie Gras, Baby Bok Choy, Green Apple and Fennel Slaw

SOUPS AND SALADS:

Shrimp and Pancetta Bisque

Black and Blue Onion Soup

Rockfish and Sweet Potato Chowder

The Grill Salad, Grape Balsamic Dressing

Marinated Goat's Chees and Heirloom Tomato Salad

SEAFOOD:

Prince Edward Mussel Pot

Vongole (clams and sausage)

Potpourri of Seafood Stew (lobster, crab, red snapper, mollusks)

Wild Black Stioped Bass and Brioche Breaded King Prawns

Pan Roasted Barramundi Papillote

Grilled tiger Prawns in Whiskey, Chili and Garlic Marinade

4 oz Maine Lobster Tails

CHOPS:

Sterling Silver Beef Chop

Maderia Glazed Wisconsin Veal Chop

New Zealand Lamb Rack

Sterling Silver Pork Chop (double thick)

Porterhuse (22 oz)

STEAKS:

New York Strip, 12oz

Kansas City Strip, 16oz

Rib Eye, 14oz

Filet Mignon, 8oz

Potato and Vegetable Choices:

Loaded Baked Potato

Garlic and Herb French Fries

Red Skin Mashed Potatoes

Crown Grill Scalloped Potatoes

Grilled Asparagus

Creamed Spinach

Corn Casserole

Sauteed Wild Mushrooms

DESSERTS:

Molten Dutch Chocolate Fudge Obsession (w double chocolate ice cream)

Wild Berry and Apple Cobbler (w vanilla cider ice cream)

Lemon Meringue Pudding Tart (w macadamia nut shortbread)

Seven Layer S'mores Stack

Caramel Cheesecake Parfait

The Crown Dependence (sampling of featured desserts)

*LOBSTER ADDENDUM:

A $9 surcharge applies to each of these 2 lobster dishes in addition to the $25 cover charge, resulting in a total charge of $34 per person. This includes as many dishes and courses as your heart and palate desires off the regular menu.

Whole Mane Lobster, 1 and a half - 2 pounds (kettle steamed or split and grilled with lemon butter)

Australian Lobster Tail, 12oz (broiled with pepper butter or split and grilled with garlic.

Here's the menu for Sabatini's...although, I hear a new menu is in the works and may be in place now on some ships.

ANTIPASTI

Proscuittoe Melone

Imported from Italy with Sweet Melon

PerleDel Mar Caspio

Sevruga Caviar on Latkes and Chive Cream

Insalata di Gamberi E Carciofi

Tender Shrimp and Marinated Artichoke With White Truffle Oil

Polpettine al Granchio

Deviled Crab Cakes with a Salmon Roe Rouille

Porchini all’Olio Vergine

Porchini Mushroom in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Fresh Tarragon

Bresaola della Valtellina

Air Cured Beef Fillet, Grilled Vegetables and Sun Dried Tomatoes

Cozze allo Zafferano

Steamed Black Mussels With Garlic, Fennel and Saffron

Ostriche Impanate E Fritte

Batter Fried Oysters on a Mediterranean Tapenade

PIZZA

Nordica

Topped with Wild Smoked Salmon, Fresh Tomato,

Garlic, and Sprinkled with Capers and Dill

Tropicale

With a Tropical Touch of Hawaiian Pineapple, Baked Prosciutto Cotto and

Marinated Goats Cheese

Sabatini

Topped with Cured Parma Ham, Buffalo Mozzarella,

Fresh Tomato Sauce and Sweet Basil

Campagnola

A Combination of Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese with Tomato Sauce.

Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, Avocado, Zucchini and Fresh Mushrooms

ZUPPE E INSALATA

Hearty Minestrone alla Milanese

Served with Garlic Bread Bruschetta

Seafood Cioppino

Shellfish, Tomato, Garlic and Chickpeas

Fresh Mesclun Greens

Tossed Tableside with Homemade Balsamic Dressing

PASTA

Spaghetti allo Scoglio

Pasta Noodles Tossed in a Fresh Tomato Sauce,

Accompanied with Mussels and Clams

Gnocchi al Formaggio

Asiago Stuffed Gnocchi in a Smoked Fontina Cheese

Cannelloni alla Nizzarda

Baked Fresh Homemade Pasta,

Filled with Ground Sirloin, Eggplant and Ricotta Cheese

SECONDI PIATTI

Branzino Cileno

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with a Lemon and Pinot Grigio Sauce

Served with Risotto al Nero di Seppia

Grigliata di Scampi

Langoustines with Fresh Squeezed Lime and Cilantro

Capesante al Pepe

Jumbo Sea Scallops Seasoned with Pepper and Galliano

Aragoste allo Champagne

Cold Water Lobster Tail Brushed with Champagne Butter

Gamberoni all’ Aglio

Tiger Prawns Glazed with a Garlic Peri-Peri

Gallinelle al Rosmarino

Rosemary Spring Chicken With a Truffle Demi Glace

Vitello allo Scalogno

Shallot Crusted Veal Chop

I would like to know the prices for each one. Can you book before boarding or do you have to wait until you board? What type of seafood is at Vines? Would you recommend the different restaurants?

Would you recommend the Balcony Breakfast? I am thinking about having it on our anniversary which is a sea day. My husband and are big foodies.

Potato and Vegetable Choices:

Loaded Baked Potato

Garlic and Herb French Fries

Red Skin Mashed Potatoes

Crown Grill Scalloped Potatoes

Grilled Asparagus

Creamed Spinach

Corn Casserole

Sauteed Wild Mushrooms

What - no yam fries?

I'm writing a letter and demanding compensation!

:rolleyes:

I have done the balcony breakfast a couple of times and really enjoyed it. It is a nice way to start a day off. I will give a bit of advice though: pick a day at sea. If you are in port it can get VERY HOT out there on your verandah trying to enjoy a great meal because the ship is not moving and there isn't a breeze so you're pretty much baking out there.

If there is something you don't care for on the menu - or something that is not there but you would like; say bacon or sausage, just order it when they call to confirm your time. I don't eat seafood so the salmon had no appeal to me and they happily brought me something else no problem.

I have always booked it before sailing as they only do so many a day. This way I know I have the day I want. I don't recall the exact price but I think it's around $30/couple.

I will also agree with the others who have given two-thumbs up to the Crown Grill: I really loved it there. (Much better than Sterlings on the other Princess ships.) That I think is $25 or $30 per person and well worth it. I don't care for Sabatini's; again, I don't enjoy seafood and a large majority of the courses are just that.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your vacation!!

I have to agree with most of the posts you've received. We LOVED the Crown Grill, and ate there 3 times...I can't remember his name, but the maitre d' in that venue had been on the Diamond before and he remembered us! So we were always able to get a reservation. If you can, book a table by the window, the view is gorgeous for an early dinner. The lobster cake is to die for, as well as the desserts.

Sabatini on this class of ship is such a beautiful venue...even if you don't go for dinner, do drinks in Adagio after dinner one night. And we very much like the menu, although it is not typical "american" italian style cuisine, much more Northern Italian or Venetian style. Again the waitstaff was fabulous on our cruise. We generally dine here on the first night of the cruise since it tends to be the least busy, and we always get it complimentary when we book with our Platinum Amex--but it can only be used on the first night.

We loved Vines, although I didn't eat much sushi, (DH) is not a big fan, and we usually went there for a wine flight right before dinner. I wish I would have discovered how awesome the international cafe was earlier in my cruise. I have two words for you: almond croissants!!To die for, but I was never there at a time convenient for gelato which I understand is fabulous. Maybe next time.

Have a great cruise, she is a beautiful ship.

Karen

Here is the Crown Grill Menu for you to check out.

CROWN GRILL, PREMIUM SEAFOOD AND CHOP HOUSE

Cover charge $25 per person

APPETIZERS:

Black Tiger Prawn and Papaya Salpicon, Mustard Seed Aioli, Anna Potato Salad

Carpaccio of Pine Nut Coated lamb Loin, gooseberry Chutney, Minted Pear Spaghettini

Cherrystone Clam Bake, Baby corn, Red Bliss Potatoes, Pearl Onions, sugared Tomatoes

Mediterreanean Style Spiny Lobster Cake, Tarragon Foam, Cured Olives, Grilled Asparagus

North Pacific Sea Scallop and Pan Seared Foie Gras, Baby Bok Choy, Green Apple and Fennel Slaw

SOUPS AND SALADS:

Shrimp and Pancetta Bisque

Black and Blue Onion Soup

Rockfish and Sweet Potato Chowder

The Grill Salad, Grape Balsamic Dressing

Marinated Goat's Chees and Heirloom Tomato Salad

Does Crown Grill offer another type of dressing other than Grape Balsamic???

Thanks,

Janice

Here's the menu for Sabatini's...although, I hear a new menu is in the works and may be in place now on some ships.

ANTIPASTI

PerleDel Mar Caspio

Sevruga Caviar on Latkes and Chive Cream

Insalata di Gamberi E Carciofi

Tender Shrimp and Marinated Artichoke With White Truffle Oil

Polpettine al Granchio

Deviled Crab Cakes with a Salmon Roe Rouille

Porchini all’Olio Vergine

Porchini Mushroom in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Fresh Tarragon

Bresaola della Valtellina

Air Cured Beef Fillet, Grilled Vegetables and Sun Dried Tomatoes

Cozze allo Zafferano

Steamed Black Mussels With Garlic, Fennel and Saffron

Ostriche Impanate E Fritte

Batter Fried Oysters on a Mediterranean Tapenade

Proscuittoe Melone

Imported from Italy with Sweet Melon

PIZZA

Tropicale

With a Tropical Touch of Hawaiian Pineapple, Baked Prosciutto Cotto and

Marinated Goats Cheese

Sabatini

Topped with Cured Parma Ham, Buffalo Mozzarella,

Fresh Tomato Sauce and Sweet Basil

Campagnola

A Combination of Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese with Tomato Sauce.

Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, Avocado, Zucchini and Fresh Mushrooms

ZUPPE E INSALATA

Hearty Minestrone alla Milanese

Served with Garlic Bread Bruschetta

Seafood Cioppino

Shellfish, Tomato, Garlic and Chickpeas

Fresh Mesclun Greens

Tossed Tableside with Homemade Balsamic Dressing

PASTA

Spaghetti allo Scoglio

Pasta Noodles Tossed in a Fresh Tomato Sauce,

Accompanied with Mussels and Clams

Gnocchi al Formaggio

Asiago Stuffed Gnocchi in a Smoked Fontina Cheese

Cannelloni alla Nizzarda

Baked Fresh Homemade Pasta,

Filled with Ground Sirloin, Eggplant and Ricotta Cheese

SECONDI PIATTI

Branzino Cileno

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with a Lemon and Pinot Grigio Sauce

Served with Risotto al Nero di Seppia

Grigliata di Scampi

Langoustines with Fresh Squeezed Lime and Cilantro

Capesante al Pepe

Jumbo Sea Scallops Seasoned with Pepper and Galliano

Aragoste allo Champagne

Cold Water Lobster Tail Brushed with Champagne Butter

Gamberoni all’ Aglio

Tiger Prawns Glazed with a Garlic Peri-Peri

Gallinelle al Rosmarino

Rosemary Spring Chicken With a Truffle Demi Glace

Vitello allo Scalogno

Shallot Crusted Veal Chop

Nordica

Topped with Wild Smoked Salmon, Fresh Tomato,

Garlic, and Sprinkled with Capers and Dill

No chicken alfredo??

The meal we had at the Crown Grill was one of the best we have ever had!

This site is so helpful. I remember reading about how incredible the garlic french fries were. Not something I might normally order in a fancy place, but I am so glad I did. They were really tasty.

The 3 sampler dessert was really nice. Beautiful miniatures of the full size ones.

Everything was excellent at the International Cafe too.

The International Grill is my favorite. For $1.50 you get 3 huge scoops of gelato. More than most people can eat. And if you're there at the right time you can get yummy cookies fresh out of the oven at no charge. You'll know when they have them because you can smell them clear across the room.

:confused:Can someone explain more fully what the 'wine flights' are and how much they charge?

:confused:Also, other than sushi...is there any other food available in Vines...and what is free?

:confused:Do they serve caviar and/or pâté in the Vines or anywhere on board the ship?

We sailed on the CB earlier this year. Enjoyed the dinners at Sab. and Sterling Steakhouse; there was no Crown Grill on that ship. But we also did the balcony dinner ($100 for the couple) and it was excellent. We ordered the surf and turf. had the biggest lobster tails we have ever had (and we eat out frequently) and a full size filet (no half size sizes because it was part of a surf and turf package). In fact, we put about 1/2 of each filet into the refrig in our room for lunch on a following day.

Meal included in the price one cocktail each (she did cosmo, I did martini) and one photo. Ship photographer came and took several shots; we choose one of the two of us at the table with the sun setting and sailboats at anchor behind us. The waiter was excellent; they stood outside the cabin in the passageway except when coming to serve the next course. And bring your iPod or MP3 player and speakers to help create that special moment.

In summary, look at the menus provided to see if you'd like the food. If it looks appealing, then splurge a little. The speciality restaurants are nice change from the normal menu and dinner crush. And if it is offered and you have a balcony, do the balcony dinner (not breakfast). Time the dinner so hopefully you will have the sunset to see and while in port. You stand the chance of getting a unique picture as well as a great meal.

Archived