Viking Surkov Oct 2, 2008

MSEm

I am booked for the Viking River Surkov and will board the vessel in St Pete on 2 Oct 08.

Just received our Russian Visas today.

Any tour NOT to miss or Any tours that you could have skipped?

Any good shoppng hints?

Peterhof Palace Tour & Hermitage Tour

Should we a hire a private guide for Peterhof Palace Tour?

Should we hire a private guide for the Hermitage and go there without the group. I know it is included in the Viking Tour, but did you have enough time there?

I do not think I will be able to do the Hydro to or from the Hermitage. It is normally shut down in October for the winter.

Any suggestions for the free time on that day?

Also what would you have liked to see or spend more time at in Moscow. I will have a 1 1/2 days after the tour ends in Moscow.

Thanks for any and all info and suggestions.

Emily

• 2 weeks later...
Any advice on what to see or do or what to avoid on our Russian River Cruise from St Petersburg to Moscow is welcomed.

Look for my review in Late October or November.

Emily

Emily, (our "BIG ship cruise)

St. Petersburg was definitely the highlight of our trip.

Upon our arrival, there was a 10 piece brass band, to welcome the ship. These guys played all day and were there again the following late afternoon to entertain us during departure.

The sights (tours) selected were just enough to give us a flavor of the place. The Hermitage could take years to see... we had about 2 hours. Although we moved quickly through the places, we did get to appreciate the enormous wealth and the beauty of all that has been preserved and or restored.

It was very busy and crowded. Although we might have wanted more time there, there were dignitaries there during our tour and security moved us along at a rather fast pace.

I'll look to see if I can find my journal for you. ... see below:

We LOVED Russia, and have signed up with Viking for next year Footsteps of the Cossacks - Ukraine.

Here's my email to friends:

Day 9 - June 16, 2005 - St Petersburg

Incredible 2 days here. Weather cleared for us, mostly sunny and temperatures reaching high 60's.

Found it hard to select just a few pictures from the hundred or so we took, as the Cathederals, the Hermitage, the Neva River scenes and such are simply overwhelming.

Hope that you enjoy the several we picked for "flavor".

(They say that if you were to stop for 1 minute at each exhibit in the Hermitage, it would take 20 years to see!!)

While touring, Sonya Ghandi arrived with delegation at the Hermitage and security closed several rooms we were to have seen... oh well.

Everything has been perfect..the weather, the tours, tour guides/busses, the cities and towns, the ship..etc.

A journey to remember for a long time, a Country we would love to see more of in the future.

There's much restoration going on, the streets are immaculate although old. Automobile traffic is heavy! The people friendly, the facilities selected for our river cruise, and tour luncheon - have been modern, comfortable and accommodating. The main course at the luncheon was typically Russian and delicious. (Beef Stroganoff).

Street vendors accept all currencies, prices fair to low... after only brief negotiation.

Won't bore you (yet) with all the details...except say, the dedication to preservation of history and cultures here are evident and appreciated. A fine model for others to consider following.

Arrival in Tallinn 8 AM, day 10 - June 17, 2005

Jerry

Archived