Fantasy back in New Orleans?

captswanson

Actually today is her last sailing until drydock. She had been supposed to leave last monday.

I have been wondering myself, if there will be any damage to New Orleans and its back in shape by the time Fantasy gets done with drydock. Luckily its a extra long dry dock to put in the waterworks.

When Fantasy leaves Mobile for drydock, she will sail 1 mile down the Mobile River and hang a left turn into the drydock. In spite of all the rhetoric from Carnival about the oil spill in the Mississippi, I think the fact that Fantasy was scheduled for Atlantic Marine in Mobile played a large part in the decision to keep Fantasy in Mobile until the drydock. It's only a ten minute trip from the terminal in Mobile to the shipyard.

I bet they will decide in the next 20 days or so if it will return to New Orleans. If it is still a problem or there was damage done with Gustav (or another Hurricane in the meantime) it may not go back... I've wondered that.

Have relatives in the New Orleans area who tell me the river is still closed often enough to affect a scheduled operation such as a cruise ship.

Doc

I have no idea what your relatives could be referring to since large ships have been allowed in and out of the city for a while now and the sunken oil barge has been removed. I don't think the Fantasy will have any problems using its regular berth in New Orleans when it returns next month from its drydock.

the sunken oil barge has been removed.

Glad to hear this.

btw, was this barge the same one that broke loose from the salvage yard during the hurricane? I heard the Coast Guard did amazing things with tug boats to get it under control and it made me wonder if the same barge that caused the Fantasy to move was endangering the levees.

I can't wait to get to your city. I added an extra day before and after because the more I looked through books and websites on what to do, the more time I realized I needed. Plus I'll be there for the Christmas decorations tour in the Garden District and I couldn't pass that up.

btw, was this barge the same one that broke loose from the salvage yard during the hurricane? I heard the Coast Guard did amazing things with tug boats to get it under control and it made me wonder if the same barge that caused the Fantasy to move was endangering the levees.

No it was not the same barge, although that would have been kind of funny if that same barge was causing more trouble. Next time that a major hurricane heads our way they're considering SINKING the barges in the industrial canal and the Mississippi river ahead of time to keep them from breaking loose and causing trouble.

We have already schedule Amtrak into NOLA for Nov 15 sailing of FANTASY. However, we have not booked the ship. Not only do we want to sail on the FANTASY, we want to spend a few days in NO. Is it safe to book the cruise or is she really not coming back to this port? Any & all advice is needed! Thanks!!!

We have already schedule Amtrak into NOLA for Nov 15 sailing of FANTASY. However, we have not booked the ship. Not only do we want to sail on the FANTASY, we want to spend a few days in NO. Is it safe to book the cruise or is she really not coming back to this port? Any & all advice is needed! Thanks!!!

I think about 5 people have said she is going into dry dock then coming back to New Orleans, so what would make you think differently?

No one here said she wasnt coming back. Do you have some friends telling you differently?? Why would you think she isnt?

Glad to hear this.

I can't wait to get to your city. I added an extra day before and after because the more I looked through books and websites on what to do, the more time I realized I needed. Plus I'll be there for the Christmas decorations tour in the Garden District and I couldn't pass that up.

Nola is a great port to cruise out of & my favorite. Weather should be great that time of year & you will have a wonderful time exploring the City. :)

Have relatives in the New Orleans area who tell me the river is still closed often enough to affect a scheduled operation such as a cruise ship.

Doc

New Orleans is a working port & a very busy one at that. Cruise ships have been operating there for years with very few problems considering the amount of traffic on the River. No reason Fantasy shouldn't return & Triumph soon as well as the other cruiselines that port there periodically.

Does anyone know where the Fantasy will be in March? We're looking at another Spring Break cruise, and NO and Mobile are easy for us to get to. We'd love to do the Fantasy after she comes out of dry dock. This will be our 3rd cruise on her. Is there really a big difference between the Fantasy and the Holiday?

Does anyone know where the Fantasy will be in March? We're looking at another Spring Break cruise, and NO and Mobile are easy for us to get to. We'd love to do the Fantasy after she comes out of dry dock. This will be our 3rd cruise on her. Is there really a big difference between the Fantasy and the Holiday?

You might want to try a pretend booking on the Carnival sites. Yes, Fantasy will be in New Orleans until Mid Nov 09 when the Triumph takes over from Fantasy. Im really looking forward to trying out the Triumph, but March 09 will still be the Fantasy.

Fantasy is newer than Holiday, not a huge difference.

they are in 2 differnent classes, the Fantasy is bigger. We went on the Imagination right after her dry dock and will now be going on the Fantasy after her dry dock. The waterpark area was a huge hit for my son, and the adult are was nice for us. I love the Fantasy class ships as you can tell by my sig line.

Archived