Paris to Rome, or vice-versa, overnight by rail

How much would it cost (sleeper car with bunks) for two people to get from Paris to Rome by rail? I've read it's a long journey by rail, and that by leaving Paris in the evening you can arrive in Rome by morning. How long precisely would this trip be? My cruise is a Rome RT and I want to visit Paris either before or after the cruise.

With hotels being as expensive as they are, I've heard taking an overnight train is a good way to save on a night's lodging. And there's also the romance of travel by train, which I enjoy.

I've also considered breaking up the trip between Paris and Rome by taking the train to some in-between destination. Any suggestions for a good mid-way point? Something in the alps would be great.

Thanks.

Mike

How much would it cost (sleeper car with bunks) for two people to get from Paris to Rome by rail? I've read it's a long journey by rail, and that by leaving Paris in the evening you can arrive in Rome by morning. How long precisely would this trip be? My cruise is a Rome RT and I want to visit Paris either before or after the cruise.

With hotels being as expensive as they are, I've heard taking an overnight train is a good way to save on a night's lodging. And there's also the romance of travel by train, which I enjoy.

I've also considered breaking up the trip between Paris and Rome by taking the train to some in-between destination. Any suggestions for a good mid-way point? Something in the alps would be great.

Thanks.

Mike

I know the search function has changed on this board,but try to do a search on train from Paris to Rome or VS( or even trey overnight trains) as someone posted some really good info on it a couple of months ago.I have not done it,and maybe someone who has will reply as well,but I wanted to mention that there was a thread on this.Also,you may want to check out Rail Europe to see if you can find some info.

Try this link, it has some other links in it about the trains.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=745006&highlight=train+London+Paris+Rome

I decided against it for a number of reasons. The compartments are small, the luggage area is over the door (couldn't see two old ladies hoisting 50 lb suitcases over our heads), cost, and no smoking on the trains, but the biggest concern was getting from Venice back to Paris in time for our flight. The train got into Paris right as our plane was departing. So we opted to fly Air France.

But it did sound really interesting.

Thanks Karen and El.

I checked out the other thread, and for us, cost would be the limiting factor. Looks like sleeping compartments (couchettes) are only for 1st class fares, and the cost is evidently double that of a Paris-to-Rome flight. Yowza!

We always travel light (nothing more than what can fit in an overhead compartment on a plane), so luggage is not an issue.

Due to the cost, we'll have to look into a short-term eurrail passes and take our time getting from Paris to Rome. Since we planned on doing a few days of travel after our cruise anyway, the eurrail pass may be a better bet.

My husban & I took the overnight train, Paris to Florence, with a sleeping compartment, but had NO sleep. The train makes a few stops during the night, and also goes thru tunnels. Something weird happens to your ears when you go thru the tunnels, they "pop" like on a plane. Basically neither of us slept a wink & arrived in Florence exhausted!

I have been on the overnight train from Paris to Rome, and vice versa. The price includes a couchette. I'm not good at posting links but go to Rail Europe.UK. I was looking at a one way fare and it looks pretty reasonable. 85 pounds for two including couchettes, 42.50 pounds each..

Yes you will need to lift your suitcases onto the overhead luggage rack. You won't need a eurail pass.

Thanks BZ and Maryann.

> I have been on the overnight train from Paris to Rome, and vice versa.

> The price includes a couchette. I'm not good at posting links but go to

> Rail Europe.UK. I was looking at a one way fare and it looks pretty

> reasonable. 85 pounds for two including couchettes, 42.50 pounds

> each..

The other thread mentioned it costing ~$500 for the couchettes, but only $210 for airfare so I will have to check out the prices you quoted. The other poster did mention something about 6-bunk couchette compartments and 2-bunk compartments.

When you did the overnight, did you have your own private compartment, or were you in a 6-bunk youth-hostel-type situation? I've had items stolen from me staying in youth hostels with many bunk beds in the same room so I'm a bit skittish about not having a private compartment. Guess I could deal with it if I used a bike lock and wire loop to secure my rucksack.

Mike

Seven years ago a group of us did the overnight train from Paris to Florence--it may be the same train that then goes on to Rome, I don't know. I do know that we stopped in Dijon, France, and that by the time we were in the Alps, it was the middle of the night so we slept through it.

We booked first-class berths. There were two bunk-beds to a room; since there were five of us, the fifth person paid for a single room. Personally I found it pretty spacious IF you consider that you're on a train; and I myself slept like a baby, although the others didn't and were all grumpy the next day. :rolleyes: In the first-class car, there was an attendant who made up the beds and courteously attended to things. He also took our passports and had them stamped for us at the border, which was a beautiful thing because we hit the border during the night! The one downside was that (surprise!) there was no shower...

We booked in advance through www.raileurope.com. Back then, I remember it costing less than $200 each one way, for what that's worth to you! I found out somewhere later that Rail Europe prices were really marked up, BUT since we needed to be sure that we'd get them for that particular day, and we were all over here in the U.S., we had no choice but to pay it. We reasoned that we were sort of paying for both transportation AND a night in a hotel at the same time, so it wasn't too bad.

The six-to-a-cabin couchettes were a lower class and were cheaper. In fact, we met some folks in second class, and that was somewhere in between first-class and the six-to-a-cabin berths; I saw their room and it was VERY claustrophobic, in my view.

Take a look at http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#Rome .. ignore the London->Paris stuff and read about the Paris-Rome trip.

Some people (me included) enjoy train travel, some do not. I find the trip relaxing and enjoyable and have no trouble sleeping (even in couchettes although in my old age I usually go for a sleeper); others can't sleep very well at all.

My advice (worth almost as much as pre-invasion US intel on Iraq WMD) is to take the train because you enjoy train travel. If the idea is simply to get to Paris, flying would be a better option.

Don't know your exact dates, but when I checked RyanAir, EasyJet, & Vueling Airlines, I found several time periods that are much cheaper than $210 (even with their extra fees) & all are non-stop flights. We flew RyanAir, London to Rome & it was fine. No free drinks onboard, but just a short flight anyway.

And keep in mind, the discount airlines are very very chintzy on their baggage allowance. Another poster posted that his luggage cost more than his ticket.

My Air France flight is allowing me 44 lbs for checked bag from Paris to Rome, Venice to Paris. SO I have to be careful on my International flight from LAX to Paris that even though I'm allowed 50 lbs I can't utilize it because I bought the tickets separate and they aren't linked.

The $500 I was quoting for overnight train was for Paris to Rome/Venice to Paris roundtrip. My airfare was only $210 roundtrip.

You have to decide if the cost is worth it for you, or what would be the better route to go for you.

There is loads of info on this site http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

Don't worry about it saying London to Rome; just forget the Eurostar bit. If you have any queries, there is an e mail link at the top of the page and Mark is more than happy to answer questions.

Simon

This is such a good site and explains everything.

Travelling by train is an adventure in itself.

Are there any problems using the UK website and paying with an American credit card? The UK prices are a third of the US prices. Also, do you know if the tickets are printable online or do you pick them up at the train station. Thanks

It seems that the U.K.site needs a U.K.registered credit card and address in the U.K.

You are right the US/Canadian sites are much more expensive. Not sure how they can justify that.

It seems they are e tickets and could be printed at the departure station or regular tickets mailed to a U.K.address.

I have relatives in the U.K. so could use their address but I still don't understand why there is such a price difference.

Thanks for the information on buying train tickets. We have friends in the UK that would probably get them for us. Last year we took the train from Venice to Paris and the price was 125 euros each in a 6 berth cabin (only thing available) - we bought the tickets at the train station the day of travel. We had plans to fly Air France, but they went on strike, so we opted for the train.

Archived