Best informal dining - RCCL vs. HAL vs. Celebrity

D.P. Roberts

After eliminating several lines in order to choose our preferred itinerary (departing Vancouver r/t, via Hubbard Glacier), we've narrowed down our choices to HAL (Volendam or Zuiderdam), NCCL (Serenade of the Seas), and Celebrity (Mercury).

We're not really the formal dining types. Of the informal dining options - including buffets- which ship above generally has the best food?

This would be our first cruise, so I'm not really sure what to expect onboard (although the countless hours I've spent searching this forum have really helped!). I'm leaning toward Serenade because of the Solarium - we're not really into broadway-type shows, but both of us love the idea of hanging out by the pool & reading a good book (while not going on shore excursions, whale watching, etc.) Is the solarium generally a quiet place to hang out & relax, or an active/noisy/"happening" spot?

Thanks in advance for any help. This is a great forum!

I would choose either HAL ship - but the Volendam and Zuiderdam go to Glacier Bay, and not Hubbard Glacier: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=A9U007&durationCode=&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=YVR&shipCodeSearch=&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=2&voyageCode=U930&destCode=A&dateCode= The Zuiderdam departs on Saturdays and the Volendam departs on Wednesdays in 2009. None of HAL's roundtrips from Vancouver go to Hubbard Glacier - but several from Seattle do.

I wouldn't base my decision on the food in the buffet. You won't go hungry - no matter which ship you choose. As far as the solarium on RCI ships - I've read that it is open to kids at certain times of the day on Alaska cruises. The Volendam is the smallest of the bunch, and will have GREAT outdoor deck viewing. The HAL ships will have a "Travel Guide" (aka "naturalist") onboard - while the Serenade and Mercury may or may not.

You might further finetune your choice by picking the itinerary you like best. Serenade goes to Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, and Hubbard Glacier. Mercury goes to Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Hubbard Glacier. The 2 HAL ships go to Tracy Arm Fjord and Juneau in the same day, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Glacier Bay.

Archived