Question for Aplmac and Barbados

FirstTimeCruiser27

I have been reading your posts about how to take a bus in Barbados. Since you guys are citizens of Barbados, I figure that you can best answer my questions. But I am open to anyone's suggestions. I wanted to contact you personally but I don't see a way to do that. I am looking for a way to map my trip using Barbados public transportation system, the buses. I would like to visit "must see" locations that most people enjoy. How can I do that? Thank you in advance.

You're going to be ashore for 7-8 short hours.

On an island you're visiting for the first time,as a first-time cruiser.

Taking the bus up and down our West Coast is a practical idea

as is the South Coast, since Bridgetown and the Port is at the hub of both bus routes

and frequency of buses along those two main routes is fairly regular

-if you don't get one of the big blue Government buses

a mini-van will quickly come along to facilitate you(most folks find that 'fun')

Public transport out into rural areas however is another matter

and you could waste a good bit of time waiting for something to come along.

I have to agree with Mr. aplmac, seeing the sights by bus in a day isn’t really practical.

Up and down the west coast would be OK, or getting on a bus to the east coast and just riding it to the end and returning without getting off, may also work, but not here-and-there-with-stops.

When we first came to Barbados years ago, we used the bus system to learn the island. We rode it everywhere for a solid week. It was cheap and one could ask the locals about the different areas.

But, like Mr. aplmac said, once you leave the west coast, the published schedule somehow doesn’t work too well. If you’ve stopped to look around in parts of St. Lucy or the Scotland district, you may wait a long time for another bus, plus you will be hard-pressed to find a taxi to get you back to the ship.

The public bus system in Barbados is quite good, but it’s not on a par with Aruba’s.

Do a short bus ride, do a taxi tour or do an organised tour for your first visit, then return for a week and ride to your heart’s content. We want you to enjoy yourself and not be stressed. :)

I have to agree with Mr. aplmac, seeing the sights by bus in a day isn’t really practical.

Up and down the west coast would be OK,

or getting on a bus to the east coast and just riding it to the end

and returning without getting off, may also work, ===> You'd see a lot, that way!

but not here-and-there-with-stops.

When we first came to Barbados years ago, we used the bus system to learn the island.

We rode it everywhere for a solid week. ===> Bravo!

It was cheap and one could ask the locals about the different areas.

But, like Mr. aplmac said, once you leave the west coast, the published schedule somehow doesn’t work too well.

If you’ve stopped to look around in parts of St. Lucy or the Scotland district,

you may wait a long time for another bus,

plus you will be hard-pressed to find a taxi to get you back to the ship.

The public bus system in Barbados is quite good, but it’s not on a par with Aruba’s.

Do a short bus ride, do a taxi tour or do an organised tour for your first visit,

then return for a week

and ride to your heart’s content. ===> Your hotel won't sail away and leave you crying,dockside!

We want you to enjoy yourself and not be stressed. :)

Listen to da man!

here's a plan...since he mentioned East Coast.

Look to catch the BATHSHEBA bus.

I think it runs at 1 hour frequencies.

You could catch that bus, see a whole cross-section of the island coming and going,

maybe even hop off where it terminates at scenic Bathsheba

and spend 55 mins. at Round House =good food

--R.House is about 150 yds. North of where the bus terminates at Soup Bowl(surf break!)--

and then catch the next bus back to Bridgetown an hour(or two hours) later.

Think I've seen the Bathsheba bus waiting about 5 mins. at the end,there

before taking off for the journey back to B'town.

That would be a day few have experienced in that manner!! (I never have!)

Wow, I am glad the both of you responded! :)

....I think it would be best take a tour and maybe a short bus ride, I don't want a headache on vacation.

What would you say are the top 3 "must see" sites and/or attractions in Antigua that most people enjoy? I have been researching many Antiguan tours and your responses will help me to select a tour. I am into virtually anything that involves water, snorkeling, sailing, beaches, etc. Thanks

Listen to da man!

here's a plan...since he mentioned East Coast.

Look to catch the BATHSHEBA bus.

I think it runs at 1 hour frequencies.

You could catch that bus, see a whole cross-section of the island coming and going,

maybe even hop off where it terminates at scenic Bathsheba

and spend 55 mins. at Round House =good food

--R.House is about 150 yds. North of where the bus terminates at Soup Bowl(surf break!)--

and then catch the next bus back to Bridgetown an hour(or two hours) later.

Think I've seen the Bathsheba bus waiting about 5 mins. at the end,there

before taking off for the journey back to B'town.

That would be a day few have experienced in that manner!! (I never have!)

I just took another look at your post above and your itinerary might be a good idea! I am afraid that I might miss the ship, but I am thinking about getting a waterproof watch with an alarm on it.

Wow, I am glad the both of you responded! :)

....I think it would be best take a tour and maybe a short bus ride, I don't want a headache on vacation.

What would you say are the top 3 "must see" sites and/or attractions in Barbados that most people enjoy? I have been researching many Bajan tours and your responses will help me to select a tour. I am into virtually anything that involves water, snorkeling, sailing, beaches, etc. Thanks

Sorry I meant to say Barbados [i am going to Antigua too :o]

aplmac and barbados,

We will be there in feb and I have been before, only some shopping in town and then walked to the Boatyard beach (lots of fun). My significant other has never been to Barbados. So.........my question is..........What is there for us both to do or is a Must see? We are cruising in for about a 8 hr stay. Any and all suggestions helpful........

Thanks,

Sheilah

Can you tell me a bit about Blue Monkey? ===> Stay away!(from what I've heard about it!)

We love to snorkel as well. I was wondering a bit more about it.....

Turtles?? Reef?? Danger due to boats in area??

Best snorkelling to be had

is immediately offshore Folkestone Park,just North of Holetown.

Barbados law requires snorkellers to carry a flagged buoy with them

to warn crazy ski-boat drivers of their presence

and although people renting you snorkelling gear should supply this safety device

it's not likely - Island Life - you understand. :)

-------------------------------

Perhaps you should heed this Post # 4 on a nearby thread at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=836820

We've been to Barbados 7 or 8 times.

I'd say book Silvermoon (excellent) or one of the other cats or Thriller. -They'll all take you to the turtles.

Last year we went to Payne's Bay, the beach by the Blue Monkey,

where you can, if you're really adventurous (lots of boat/jet ski traffic not looking out for swimmers,

and at times challenging water conditions - waves, currents, etc.).

Big mistake - it was a pretty miserable day.

Crowded beach, vendors that would absolutely not leave you alone, and other things.

Not something I'd repeat, and we do tend to repeat things we've enjoyed.

aplmac and barbados,

We will be there in feb and I have been before, only some shopping in town and then walked to the Boatyard beach (lots of fun). My significant other has never been to Barbados. So.........my question is..........What is there for us both to do or is a Must see? We are cruising in for about a 8 hr stay. Any and all suggestions helpful........

Thanks,

Sheilah

Although I get 80% of my information from Cruise Critic and Trip Adviser articles, I think its good to compliment that research with information from the locals in the message boards like Mr Barbados and Alpmac [maybe CruiseCritic will have articles featuring locals in the future:) ]. The other information I get comes from Google.

Today I stumbled upon this website from Google written by a native Bajan who loves living in Barbados and writing about it. I like the site because everything is personal and his is not pushing products and hard selling. He just gives personal recommendations on his favorite places in Barbados. And if you want information on must sees, its worth checking out.

http://www.barbados-travel-secrets.com

Check out his bio on his homepage page and in the "about the author" page. The site is actually an enjoyable read.

Archived