Newbies question on tipping

Chloebags

My land tipping is fine and I don't want to take this to another level. This subject has been bashed enough on these boards and we should end it here. Everyone is intitled to thier opinion. I would tell the newbie cruiser who asked the question in the beginning to do what they feel is right for them and have a wonderful cruise!

I been reading this thread all day and this was it for me, excited cruiser if you do not want to take this to another level why you come here, knowing that 95% of the members will disagree with your stingy practice and post and even sugest to the op to follow your steps, or you just want to stir the pot??? :mad:

Right. I remove the dining room staff and leave the lido staff tips on. I never visit the dining room and have no problem removing these tips. I only eat on the lido. I have on occasion tipped the Lido help. I have known many people who do the same. I am not ashamed to admit it. Some people won't even do that.

So in essence, you are tipping 33 cents for each meal on the LIDO deck for someone to provide service to you, and clear your place... and I'm only assuming you used the Lido Deck 3 times a day.

Is 33 cents what you normally TIP...?

There is only one reason to remove a TIP... and that's to be Cheap. Use whatever words you want to justify... but lets be clear... your actions indicate you are Cheap, while you likely hope people focus on your words. :cool:

Right. I remove the dining room staff and leave the lido staff tips on. I never visit the dining room and have no problem removing these tips. I only eat on the lido. I have on occasion tipped the Lido help. I have known many people who do the same. I am not ashamed to admit it. Some people won't even do that.

I have no comments because I just finished up a bottle of wine and having some Cheez-its and feeling really wooooo hello, the room is now spinning Yippy ~~~ :D anyways, once again no comments, the last time I made a comment on this very same issue, I was banned for a week LOL.

Fred

So in essence, you are tipping 33 cents for each meal on the LIDO deck for someone to provide service to you, and clear your place... and I'm only assuming you used the Lido Deck 3 times a day.

Is 33 cents what you normally TIP...?

There is only one reason to remove a TIP... and that's to be Cheap. Use whatever words you want to justify... but lets be clear... your actions indicate you are a Cheap person, while you likely hope people focus on your words. :cool:

Venture everytime I writte the word CHEAP I get attacked, I just can help it, to me thats what someone that does this is CHEAP and STINGY, whats else can this be called than that?

I been reading this thread all day and this was it for me, excited cruiser if you do not want to take this to another level why you come here, knowing that 95% of the members will disagree with your stingy practice and post and even sugest to the op to follow your steps, or you just want to stir the pot??? :mad:

Because she is telling of her experience..........I didn't know you were suppose to post only if you agreed with everyone:p

I know how I react to this sort of post, I really dislike what this person do, I cannot change the world, I am happy knowing that I am not taking advantage of a poor waiter in the sea in order to have a few more bucks in my pocket. Also I dont believe the ones that said that they only eat in the buffet.

At the end no matter how they put it is just about saving a dollar.

Sad.

Getting ready for my cruise , is in 17 days.

I can tell you as a fact that I have never eaten in the dining rooms. I'm sorry that you don't believe that. It's not my thing. I have only eaten at the buffets and I like to eat at my own time. I am glad that you have your opinion as I have mine. I doubt that it will change anything that a person wants to do. You can dislike what I do and that is fine. I have no problem tipping and I do so according to the service I receive. I will not comment on this anymore as I think it has been hashed enough.

I can tell you as a fact that I have never eaten in the dining rooms. I'm sorry that you don't believe that. It's not my thing. I have only eaten at the buffets and I like to eat at my own time. I am glad that you have your opinion as I have mine. I doubt that it will change anything that a person wants to do. You can dislike what I do and that is fine. I have no problem tipping and I do so according to the service I receive. I will not comment on this anymore as I think it has been hashed enough.

Excited what you do us up to you and thats your life, I have mine, I dont like what you do and I know that I am not alone in this, but no one can change anyone and I have no intention of going any further discussing something that I am most sure you know what shall be done. I think that you are using this poor people to your benefit and you are just keeping your money in your pocket. If you think in your mind that giving $1.00 per day is correct go ahead, is very sad to see persons doing and patro****ng what you do, excuse that I am so blump your just stingy. and I feel sorry for those persons serving you in a cruise.

yes--$240 for 2 for 2 weeks.

$280.

This is money well spent:

Slip your room stewart an extra $20 at beginning of week for a few perks. Such as filling my cooler or ice bucket with my smuggled beers and fresh ice each day. Also, ask for bath robes.

The cabin steward will do these things for EVERY passenger...not just those who try to bribe them.:rolleyes: They fill ice buckets twice a day, also bring robes for anyone who asks. This is part of the normal service.

Last 2 cruises we've taken the bath robes were already in the room. No need to ask. We always ask to keep the ice bucket full (I have a bad ice sucking habit, just ask my Dad) and they will do it a couple of times - mid morning and evening.

i always tip our waiter/waitress an additional 20 the first 2 days then an additional 20 the last day. With the way they do the tips, i'm not sure if my waiter/waitress get it all or if they divide it between the lido staff, etc. so i want to make sure my person gets what she / he deserves.

On our Elation cruise, I don't think our head waiter had any time off. We saw him at breakfast and lunch in the buffet area. Then dinner in the dining room. We even saw him on Half Moon Caye working the lunch service on the island. If anyone deserved extra tips it was Geraldo!

[quote name='seashell36']On our Elation cruise, I don't think our head waiter had any time off. We saw him at breakfast and lunch in the buffet area. Then dinner in the dining room. We even saw him on Half Moon Caye working the lunch service on the island. If anyone deserved extra tips it was Geraldo![/QUOTE]

That is exactly what the wait staff do, along with others....they work in different areas during the day, based upon what the dining room may or may not be doing. To cut tips from one area doesn't make sense, because the same people work in different areas throughout the cruise.

We use the autotips, and have done extra a few times at the end of the cruise if there was something exceptional done. Never have felt the need at all to cut tips based upon poor service. Always been very good.

[quote name='czexrus']Not to even mention if you take the gratituties off the S and S account and your room steward and wait staff find out prior to the trip being over, they would feel REAL bad and probably ask you why you did that.[/quote]

[B]Waiters and stewards are given a printout as to who has removed the tips. I doubt they would confront a passenger to ask a question like that.[/B]

[B]In many cases, I've been told that the ones who have their tips removed are called in and questioned as to what THEY did wrong...they should not have to try to explain something they didn't do because of a passenger's cheapness.:( [/B]

If it is as cotton asserts and others have agreed with her, that the suggested tip for Lido waitstaff is a dollar a day and $5.50 for the dining room, it appears as though excited cruiser is following the Carnival dictates. Granted you may disagree with her, but Carnival should not break up the tips based on areas of dining since staff work in multiple areas.

[quote name='picklebongo']If it is as [COLOR=darkred]cotton[/COLOR] asserts and others have agreed with her, that the suggested tip for Lido waitstaff is a dollar a day and $5.50 for the dining room, it appears as though excited cruiser is following the Carnival dictates. Granted you may disagree with her, but Carnival should not break up the tips based on areas of dining since staff work in multiple areas.[/quote]

[B]Well, pickle...it's not what [I][COLOR=darkred]I say[/COLOR][/I], but what Carnival has had in their info booklets, online, etc. for a long, long time. [/B]

[B]$5.50 dining room waitstaff[/B]
[B]$3.50 cabin steward[/B]
[B]$1.00 Lido buffet/bistro staff[/B]

ANY American that routinely removes auto-tips as a matter of policy, is chronically, clinically, and psychotically,... er..ah..."frugal" as a matter of policy.

Removing the tip for a problem is one thing, rare but it can happen, but removing tips for ANY others reason is just being chea.....frugal.

Dan

[quote name='dan40']ANY American that routinely removes auto-tips as a matter of policy, is chronically, clinically, and psychotically,... er..ah..."frugal" as a matter of policy.

Removing the tip for a problem is one thing, rare but it can happen, but removing tips for ANY others reason is just being chea.....frugal.

Dan[/quote]

Dan you are extremely nice, the person that does that to me is not frugal is just stingy.
:)

[quote name='dan40']NICE? Never been accused of that before.

Dan[/quote]

lol there is always a first time Dan.

I just can't imagine someone walking to the concierge to remove the gratuities specially americans, that is sad to me, but no one is going to change anyone on this forum, they know what they are doing, they are not innocent , they are just stingy persons trying to save a buck.

As much as I hate cheapness, the way Carnival breaks it down, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that someone would think it appropriate to remove tips for a service he/she isn't using. I understand the idea that the staff moves around, but since that's the case CCL really shouldn't break it down that way. In fact, I don't know why they break it down at all. They should just [U]mandate the $10.00 as a fixed minimum[/U], and tell you you're free to tip additional if you wish. I never really pay attention to the breakdown though, because $10 a day seems pretty modest for the 24hr service and attention anyway...

Archived