shopping question

I am planning on shopping quite a bit on my med cruise I am planning on using my credit card for major purchases however am wondering if in the markets specificially in Florence in the leather markets does anyone know if you need to pay in euros or can you use a credit card.

Just trying to determine an amount needed daily..

I don't plan on buying much while I'm over there. I figure anything I see there, I can buy cheaper here than there, then pay for extra luggage to transport it home.

With the lousy exchange rate, you are paying 1/2 again more for whatever you buy.

I don't plan on buying much while I'm over there. I figure anything I see there, I can buy cheaper here than there, then pay for extra luggage to transport it home.

With the lousy exchange rate, you are paying 1/2 again more for whatever you buy.

But for us "die hard shoppers" it will not only be from Italy but picked out and bought while there !!!! And we found the prices for leather goods to be excellent ! Also purchased a beautiful gold coin on the Ponte Vecchio which is in a "flip bezel". Has the olive leaf on one side and John The Baptist (patron saint of Florence) on the other. DEFINATELY COULD NEVER GET THAT HERE...... Also bought a stunning large hand painted view of the city in Florence from an artist sitting on the Arno wall...... 10 euros !!!!! Very detailed and beautiful..... then there was the tile mosiac from Positano...... 9 pieces of tile..... bought a carryon in Florence (leather :D with wheels) to get those home..... since I did not have but just a purse coming over there was no extra luggage. I have also been know to pack a suitcase in a suitcase to bring stuff home in :eek: Lightweight luggage of course..... doesnt work if you have heavy old stuff.

I used credit cards all over the place..... altho when buying from artists or the like....cash is it. We also used our American Express alot - even though alot of people tell you it's not accepted....we did not find that to be true..... a few places yes but mostly ok.

HAVE FUN SHOPPING IN EUROPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is a thread I could get into! Shopping with euros is pricey, so you have to have a plan :D . I try to look for the local arts and crafts while traveling and find that you can negotiate a little on the prices when using cash...

My favorite finds were in Kusadasi- there are some faux Hermes, Burberry, Louis, Gucci, Prada... and the prices are great. Bargain hard, they will come down to very good prices. I picked up a nice Burberry bag for $40, a big Louis for $50 and three small Pradas for $20. I used Turkish Lira, USD and euro... these folks are ready to do business.

Some other favs:

Venice- glass topped wine stoppers

Florence- leather! and ceramic painted wine stoppers and salad utensils

Turkey- cool beaded jewelry, pistachios, ceramics and handbags

Provence- kitchen linens (I think of the market when I'm drying dishes)

A side note: I have established a visa credit card and debit account at a bank separate from my normal banking. I make my deposit to the debit and use that for cash flow and then isolate my shopping damages to that one visa credit card. I take my regular cards with me as a back up, but I don't want to use my regular debit that is attached to my savings while traveling abroad. It is not uncommon for a debit card to be "compromised" and I don't want to learn that my savings is depleted when I return.

Ahhh, just thinking about all those ports and shops makes me smile.

Happy trails!

Be sure to let your credit card company know that the dates of your cruise and where you are going before you depart so they do not think the purchases represent fraud on your card.

In small places we will use cash rather than credit cards.

Keith

The thing that I plan to do is to buy the things there that are specific to the region or brands from the area. For example, if you go to Florence then you should probably buy something leather there. Of course you can buy what you need cheaper here but some things you cannot find here and paying a bit more for a good quality item seems worth it to me.

The purchase that I have the most fun with is an umbrella with scenes of Florence. I see the Duomo everytime it rains, which in South Florida is often.

We used credit cards for stores and cash for street vendors. I was able to get a cash discount on the Ponte Vecchio on a pair of earings, so it's always worth it to ask. Have fun shopping.

Joan

Archived