I Need Help!

SantaAna,CA

I'm trying to lose 30 pounds before my next cruise. I've lost 20 before, but I'm having a terrible time keeping my hands off sweets and junk food, and being consistent getting on my treadmill every day.

I seem to do fine during the day, but crash and burn when I get home, stopping off for junk food (I'm single), or munching on fattening foods or sweets while watching TV. My lack of self discipline is really depressing to me.

Anyone else struggle with the day after day discipline and how do you keep yourself from saying "oh I'll just give in and start tomorrow". Which I've done for months now, by the way!

Jane :(

You got to really want to lose it, to lose it. Willpower comes with the turf kiddo. Its a mental thing, when those cravings come...drink water..drink a gallon of water (i do)..itll keep you full so you dont want to eat...another trick is to eat nuts every few hours.

I'm trying to lose 30 pounds before my next cruise. I've lost 20 before, but I'm having a terrible time keeping my hands off sweets and junk food, and being consistent getting on my treadmill every day.

I seem to do fine during the day, but crash and burn when I get home, stopping off for junk food (I'm single), or munching on fattening foods or sweets while watching TV. My lack of self discipline is really depressing to me.

Anyone else struggle with the day after day discipline and how do you keep yourself from saying "oh I'll just give in and start tomorrow". Which I've done for months now, by the way!

Hi Jane. I want you to know that I was EXACTLY like this just 13 weeks ago. Every single day I was "on a diet" and every single day I would blow it. I'd start out fine in the a.m. but in the afternoon I'd blow it and not stop until bedtime...even eating at night when I woke up with insomnia. I began reading the posts on the forum and got encouraged. After reading for a week or two, I decided I'd had enough. I use this forum almost every single day, to read tips and to help keep myself focussed. I strategize daily. If you find that there is a time of day when you start to get weak, strategize. I do fast food regularly, but I make much better choices now. I love a McDonald's Grilled Chicken Honey Mustard Snack Wrap, for example. Low in fat, high in protein and surprisingly filling. I'll order a Sweet Tea with it but ask them to put half plain and half sweet in the cup. I'll even order a low-fat cone on days and eat that first before it melts. There are options. What you need is about 3 days of a good start. After the 3 days, you'll feel noticably fuller on less food. Eat more fruit. Eat more veggies. Keep them REALLY handy. In your car, in the refrigerator, on the counter. Drink a glass of milk BEFORE the worst of the cravings hit you. Do whatever it takes. After 3 weeks, you'll feel so much better and that's a promise. I feel so much better about myself after all this time and have 12 solid pounds off. I get plenty of protein and eat low-fat yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, peanut butter, fish, chicken, beef, etc. Every day that you have a question or need a tip, post it. There are many wonderful people on these boards who have gone through or are going through the same frustrations. We keep prodding each other to keep it going and to not give up if we have a bad meal or a bad day or eat too much on a vacation. Remember that one bad meal is still only one meal out of a week's worth of meals...21 in a week , not counting the mini-meals.

Over time, the sweets have become fewer and fewer in my house. It's taken 3 months for me to almost entirely lose my cravings. Now I have a little chocolate and even with that, I have noticed that I haven't craved it so much in the past couple of weeks. When I have it, I chose the really dark chocolate because it has less sugar. Just a Dove or two or Lindt 70% or higher.

If you chose to join us all in the battle, we'll all be here for you! Pretty soon, you'll find yourself sharing good tips and supporting others. What you think is most of the battle. Start reminding yourself that you can get through Day One and have a great report to post on Day Two. :)

We've all been there (well I have anyway) - couple things that have helped me.....

Anytime you even THINK about eating food, drink a glass of water.

Do NOT eat food that you are craving. The more you eat it, the longer you will have the cravings. Eat a strong-flavored food (pickles works for me) to get rid of that deprived feeling.

Eat all day long - small meals is the way to go so you don't feel hungry.

ALWAYS have a baggie of almonds on you.

If you find yourself eating when you watch TV, don't watch TV. Go the mall and walk around, visit a friend, read a book, go out for a walk - or only watch tv when you are on the treadmill.

You have to get your body used to these changes and it does take time and will power - luckily we have both :D I promise after a couple weeks, you will look back and won't be able to figure out what was ever stopping you. Best of luck!!!

I use "mind tricks":

"I have the rest of my life to eat cake, I don't need any today"

"This is so not worth 25 g of fat and 500 calories

"If I eat this I am only going to reinforce how fat and ugly I feel already"

"I didn't gain the weight over night, therefore I have to be content with the fact I am not going to lose it overnight"

"Why waste 300 calories on 5 oreos when I could have 300 calories of lobster and other more healthy foods"

The other thing you have to do is suck it up, face reality, and the fact that you lose your right to complain unless you make any kind of change. Most people can't change their bad habits because, IMO, they don't want to take the time. It takes time to plan your meals and shop for healthy food, but most people use the excuse of "I'm tired and I dont' have time". We all have the same amount of time in a day, it's matter of priority. I work anywhere between 35-60 hours per week in two different communities but I force myselt to go to the gym 2 hours a day. I sacrafice in other areas. I have the money and ability to eat out a lot, but I don't so I take a couple hours on sunday to cook/package my meals for the week so I eat healthy.

If you could somehow get off the fast food, you'd be surprised how much your taste buds will change. I used to love chinese food but now it makes me puke if I eat it.

The simplest thing you can do is take all the food you eat now..good and bad..and eat half as much as what you normally eat. That in itself will change you. You can't look at this as a diet, you have to look at it as a way of life. Eating fast food and not exercising is a way of life. That's what you have to change. Not going on a diet.

You can't look at this as a diet, you have to look at it as a way of life. Eating fast food and not exercising is a way of life. That's what you have to change. Not going on a diet.

That is so true! When you diet, you expect that when you reach your goal, you can go off your diet. I've lost and regained so much weight that way. Last fall I was faced with the consequences of years of unchecked eating when I found out my cholesterol was high and my blood pressure was scary high. That was my motivating factor. I do not want to die as a result of something I could have controlled.

There are a lot of good, sound ideas and experiences on this forum. Several of the ladies that posted prior to me have given you a wealth of advice. The website realage.com helped me determine what foods I needed to be eating to help improve my health. When I changed my eating and exercising habits to get healthy, my weight also started coming off. I know when I was younger, dieting was all about looking good, and health was not a major objective. Sometimes you have to be slapped in the face to have something get your attention, and that's what happened to me last fall. If you can find it in you to be more concerned about having a healthy body than just looking good (and I don't mean that to be a criticism, because, believe me, I have been there) then you will find the key to success. I truly wish you well, Jane.

Well Jane,

I can only suggest what I would do so here goes. Give your body some good protein in the morning like eggs, ( FYI, the cholesterol in the yolk is digested by something in the whites) or even a small amount of lean meat to give your body the energy it needs so that you don't crash by late afternoon. Try to eliminate empty calorie foods and eat only things that you could have found on your plate in their natural state 100 years ago. You might try doing a cleanse so that your body doesn't crave sugary foods so much. If I may, I love the book The Fat Flush Plan. That works for most anyone I have talked to that has tried it man or woman! Drink lots of pure unsweetened cranberry juice to flush your system (it's in the book). Good luck!

Hi Jane...I got up this morning and the first thing I did was pulled on my workout pants and tank top, put my cotton socks on and now am almost ready to step on my treadmill (second time this week). This is my new area of weakness to conquer and it will be a long while before I like it!:p

I thought of you, though, and wanted to add something....each of us has to find our motivation. Mine was a few things, so I'll make a short list:

Too many sizes in my overpacked closet and basement stash of clothes (8-16s).

Physical pain that has finally caught up with me...hips, knee, ankle, foot.

How I look in clothes....feelings of embarrassment.

Never having a family photo.

Avoiding Dr. visits partly because I have to weigh in.

Huge limitations on what I can do for fun & play...hiking, walking up a hill, swimming in front of people, etc.

Embarrassing situations of all sorts like this one....going to an amusement park and having the attendant struggle to buckle the seat belt on a ride!

The loss of loved ones and realizing that life is truly short.

Turning 50 and realizing that life is short.

I am the only one who can make the decisions that involve losing this excess baggage. The excess fat has weighed me down in every way that a person can feel weighed down....physically, emotionally, and mentally. I have felt out-of-control in this particular area of my life, while feeling "fit" in other areas; so my health and fitness is my goal for the year that I turned 50. I "gifted" myself with a whole year of focussing on myself for a change. I am always focussed on what I can do for other people but this year, I gave myself the gift. It's been a struggle to focus on it and keep it for msyelf to use and enjoy but I'm doing it. I cut way back on entertaining and don't spend much time going through cookbooks for a change!

You have to find your own personal list. What does your weight prevent you from doing that you would love to do? How does your weight make you feel about yourself? Does it strip you of self-confidence in various situations? Does it make you unhealthy and will it shorten your life-span? A list is the start of helping me stay focussed and I refer back to it, in my mind, quite often. I like Gathina's mental tricks.....great quotations are very motivating and it helps to write them on index cards or sticky notes and put them in strategic places. I keep a bag of nuts or dried fruit in my car and a bottle of water handy so that if I feel like I'm suddenly "starving", there is something there to help me get by. A handful or two does the trick.

Because you are single, I understand the desire to stop at "fast-food" places. What I don't do is stereo-type the places or the people who stop there. All fast food is not fried or necessarily bad for you. Mcd's makes some awesome salads. I LOVE the Asain Chicken and it is loaded with good stuff....edamame and other good veggies, plus chicken breast meat and lots of lettuce for filler food. The Yogurt & Fruit thing is good, too. More and more, those various chains are working on changing their offerings and including more decent choices on their menus. Try something and make yourself believe that you are going "upscale" on the meal that you could bring home. Plate up that beautiful salad, serve it with a glass of cold lemon water or a glass of milk. You'll feel so much better about yourself than you did eating a burger and fries with one hand while driving. Go to the websites of those various burger joints and write down a list of good choices. I keep it handy in my car or purse, now.

I can honestly say this....over time, my cravings for sugar and salt have severely decreased. Particulary in the last couple of weeks. I had to have something salty DAILY before and now the urge isn't there. It's been a gradual process of decreasing the salt and sugar and now I am noticing how tiny or infrequent the cravings are. It's going to make thing so much easier in the future. Your body WILL adapt and change and the struggle won't be so big with some time and focus invested in yourself.

We're all learning to be good to ourselves!

Great post!

My biggest gripe about fast food is that I am not even convinced the so called "healthy foods" are healthy. They may be good substitutes, but I still don't think a steady diet of them is good. I don't like the preservatives and things they put in any type of food.

Another reason why I am not a fast food proponent as I figure by time I go thru the drive thru, waste the time, the money, I probalby could have made a salad in 5 minutes at home, saved the money, and then put it in a special fund (like for a new outfit, cruise, trip, etc.)

I have been trying to work out for 2 hours a day..an hour of cardio and an hour of weights. Today an atty friend I hadn't yakked with in awhile showed up. I'd already done an hour and was about to go do weights. Well, we started yakking and before I realized it I was on the treadmill for another 90 minutes! 2.5 hours of cardio??!! I realized that having someone to talk to made all the difference in passing the time! I never did the weights, and mind you, I don't plan to do that much again, but I guess it made up for the 2 days I skipped the gym earlier this week due to having a bug!!

I get barked at alot for saying this on the boards here, but I think the hardest part is getting started and nobody can make you do that. It's funny how we can always justify doing something that isn't good for you but can't justify doing something that IS good for you..hence the excuses. 20 minutes of exercise a day is better than nothing. Eating a salad instead of fries is better than nothing. It really does boil down to someone making the decision themselves and facing the sometimes PAINFUL reality that you got yourself fat, and you are the only one who can get yourself healthy.

Read the thread "Completely Depressed and Frustrated" from start to finish. Brenda, who started the thread, really did get it right and she had some thoughts similar to the OP.

Hi Jane...I got up this morning and the first thing I did was pulled on my workout pants and tank top, put my cotton socks on and now am almost ready to step on my treadmill (second time this week). This is my new area of weakness to conquer and it will be a long while before I like it!:p

I thought of you, though, and wanted to add something....each of us has to find our motivation. Mine was a few things, so I'll make a short list:

Too many sizes in my overpacked closet and basement stash of clothes (8-16s).

Physical pain that has finally caught up with me...hips, knee, ankle, foot.

How I look in clothes....feelings of embarrassment.

Never having a family photo.

Avoiding Dr. visits partly because I have to weigh in.

Huge limitations on what I can do for fun & play...hiking, walking up a hill, swimming in front of people, etc.

Embarrassing situations of all sorts like this one....going to an amusement park and having the attendant struggle to buckle the seat belt on a ride!

The loss of loved ones and realizing that life is truly short.

Turning 50 and realizing that life is short.

I am the only one who can make the decisions that involve losing this excess baggage. The excess fat has weighed me down in every way that a person can feel weighed down....physically, emotionally, and mentally. I have felt out-of-control in this particular area of my life, while feeling "fit" in other areas; so my health and fitness is my goal for the year that I turned 50. I "gifted" myself with a whole year of focussing on myself for a change. I am always focussed on what I can do for other people but this year, I gave myself the gift. It's been a struggle to focus on it and keep it for msyelf to use and enjoy but I'm doing it. I cut way back on entertaining and don't spend much time going through cookbooks for a change!

You have to find your own personal list. What does your weight prevent you from doing that you would love to do? How does your weight make you feel about yourself? Does it strip you of self-confidence in various situations? Does it make you unhealthy and will it shorten your life-span? A list is the start of helping me stay focussed and I refer back to it, in my mind, quite often. I like Gathina's mental tricks.....great quotations are very motivating and it helps to write them on index cards or sticky notes and put them in strategic places. I keep a bag of nuts or dried fruit in my car and a bottle of water handy so that if I feel like I'm suddenly "starving", there is something there to help me get by. A handful or two does the trick.

Because you are single, I understand the desire to stop at "fast-food" places. What I don't do is stereo-type the places or the people who stop there. All fast food is not fried or necessarily bad for you. Mcd's makes some awesome salads. I LOVE the Asain Chicken and it is loaded with good stuff....edamame and other good veggies, plus chicken breast meat and lots of lettuce for filler food. The Yogurt & Fruit thing is good, too. More and more, those various chains are working on changing their offerings and including more decent choices on their menus. Try something and make yourself believe that you are going "upscale" on the meal that you could bring home. Plate up that beautiful salad, serve it with a glass of cold lemon water or a glass of milk. You'll feel so much better about yourself than you did eating a burger and fries with one hand while driving. Go to the websites of those various burger joints and write down a list of good choices. I keep it handy in my car or purse, now.

I can honestly say this....over time, my cravings for sugar and salt have severely decreased. Particulary in the last couple of weeks. I had to have something salty DAILY before and now the urge isn't there. It's been a gradual process of decreasing the salt and sugar and now I am noticing how tiny or infrequent the cravings are. It's going to make thing so much easier in the future. Your body WILL adapt and change and the struggle won't be so big with some time and focus invested in yourself.

We're all learning to be good to ourselves!

Salsa, what a wonderful encouraging post! We are called to encourage and lift up, you have done your job for today!

Hope you have a good walk on your treadmill, I use to love mine and when winter comes I will again. I walk/run at 6am, as soon as I wake up. No time to talk myself out of it, just get up put clothes on and do it!

kelly

So many good posts and points...Salsa Dancer, you sound so much like me. I turned 50 this year too and all your points of motivation could have come from my own mouth. You expressed them all beautifully.

Jane, I hope you find the advice you need from this thread and the forum. It is a great place to find encouragement and support.

Hi Jane... Unfortunately, I know exactly how you are feeling! My husband is deployed with the Army right now so I say I am "functionally single" as it pertains to shopping, cooking, household chores, etc... And the fast food is so easy and tempting. I was really putting on some weight (and hating myself for it) earlier this year but I've been able to turn it around. Some of the things that worked for me:

- Having a buddy to workout/diet with. We share recipes, encourage each other, sometimes even drive to Whole Foods and shop together. My buddy is PCSing to Germany in October and I am very sad about that... but I think I can do it myself now. Having a buddy to cheer you on and keep you on track is a HUGE help.

- Put a tv in front of your treadmill. Sign up for netflix. Every time you get a movie, work out while you watch it. Then it's not a chore - you want to see the movie, you get on the treadmill. This helps me keep working out on a very regular basis (although it's the 'cardio cinema' at my local gym!)

- I read a book called "Skinny *****" - apologies for the wording, but that is the title! The authors really have some things to say about the things many of us eat regularly. This book is definitely not for everyone but boy, did it stop my cravings for sugary snacks and fried anything. When I feel myself caving in, I re-read it.

- Discover new foods! I am absolutely excited about many of the super healthy things I am eating now. I eat mostly organic, mostly vegetarian. And after several months of that, I actually feel ill if I eat anything very unhealthy. I don't even crave my beloved Big Macs any more because I know I won't feel well after eating one.

At first I looked at living along like a big disadvantage. There's no one to help cook and clean. There are always leftovers if you do cook - and who wants to eat the same healthy thing for 3 or 4 nights? No thanks!

Now I try to see it as an opportunity. I can try new health foods without worrying if DH will like them (although, to be fair, he is very game and very supportive!) I can go to the gym whenever I have a spare minute. I only eat out once a week as my girlfriends and I celebrate surviving each week with a Friday night dinner - I usually have a big salad. If I want to post notes and reminders on the fridge, or tally my calories for the day on a notepad on the counter, I can.. no one will move it! (I am hoping that when he comes home, I will be very set in my healthy routine and can afford to be more flexible. Or maybe he will just have to join me!)

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes!

Salsa, what a wonderful encouraging post! We are called to encourage and lift up, you have done your job for today!

Hope you have a good walk on your treadmill, I use to love mine and when winter comes I will again. I walk/run at 6am, as soon as I wake up. No time to talk myself out of it, just get up put clothes on and do it!

kelly

Hi Kelly...Thanks! I like encouraging other people and getting encouraged by all of the great tips offered on the forum.

I managed my second day on the treadmill and decided that I'd work on every other day this week and move forward in "baby steps" slowly increasing my speed, my distance, and my calories burned, then work into more frequency like 3 times a week at first, then maybe 4, and up to 5 for a goal. I put on a chick flick this time and that made the walk a lot better! I got through a good portion of Shall We Dance. :) It seems like either a phone call, good music, or a movie really make the time fly a lot better.

Oh...I've seen many of your posts and know that we must have similar cooking tastes. I love most of the ingredients that you mention--balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, etc. :)

Hey Jane...I was just curious....20 lbs. is nice! What did you do to get 20 off and how long did it take?

Hi everyone.

I hope you don't mind if I join your thread. I have never weighed this much in my life. I had lost about 25 lbs, but gained it all back. Now I'm really feeling fat (not to mention - I LOOK really fat!).

Going on a cruise Nov 9 and would really love to lose some weight by then (or at least a clothing size).

I need all the encouragement I can get.

Thanks,

Debbi

Hello, another newbie here! I also want to lose before I cruise.

I have lost near 50 lbs, and still have another 20 if not 25 to go, hoping before we leave on our next cruise. Right now I am in a bit of a slump, I know come monday I will be back at the gym and eating properly. I count calories and record everything I put into my mouth.

The no eating after 8:00 rule is the one that I have the hardest time with, thank goodness for computers and sites like this. But I do believe it is mind over matter, if I want to do it I do it, not sure why I let those darn chips take control of me somedays.

so just here for support and looking forward to recieving as well as giving.

:D

I’ve tried the “Loose before I cruise” goal, but it never worked for me. Neither have the related “loose by summer”, “loose by (or after) Christmas. Deadlines tend to be self defeating. Any setback makes me feel guilty. Any victory seems to deserve a reward. The reward is often food.

Here are a few things that did help me over the last year……

Last August I went on a cruise with the family. Challenges included…sitting at dinner for 2 hours while others ordered multiple entrée and waiter brought desserts we hadn’t ordered to allow us to sample everything and browsing the buffet late at night with the excuse of having a cup of tea. A few things we did right included taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking a few miles every day around the Promenade deck, getting in the pool and swimming or staying active playing Marco Polo with the kids, or choosing excursions that required exercise (hikes, bikes, kayaks). The good and the bad seemed to even out. I gained a bit, not much more than in my weekly up and down had I stayed at home.

The problem was not so much the pounds but the prospect of several cruises to come. I enjoy cruises and had a few more scheduled for the year. Add the cruises to the Holidays and to couple of other celebrations throughout the year; I would face the propect of a new (and bigger) wardrobe and a lecture from the doctor.:eek:

The problem was more of perspective than of will power. It was not the preparation for the cruise. The problem was my lifestyle on cruise. The goal of weight loss to enjoy the reward of a cruise equated to a self defeating goal of “loose to gain.” I was trying to loose weight before the cruise so I could feel less guilty about gaining weight on the cruise.

Here is what I did on the next cruise:

I sat a shorter time at dinner. We would still order a salad, entrée and consider desserts, but we would avoid multiple appetizers (or entrees) and only have desserts that were really really good. I would pass on dessert if nothing stood out from the menu. We still browsed the buffet, not as an excuse for tea, but with intention for a light meal, with a small plate. We continued being active taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking a few miles every day around the Promenade deck, and choosing excursions that required exercise. With a little change the good gained ground. I maintained.

Now the problem was loosing on land.

I had the good fortune of unexpectedly going on an additional cruise a week later…. by myself this time.

I tried something new:

I stocked up the little refrigerator with a few healthy items from the buffet like yogurt and cereal and ate a light but healthy breakfast, without the morning buffet visit. I sat in the dining room with different people each night often excusing myself before dessert. I would still have dessert, but only a few items during the cruise that really stood out. And then I exercise. I had bought a pedometer and had a minimum goal or 10,000 steps a day—in addition to any swimming or other exercise. Once I got into the rythym—I had no problem achieving and usually exceeding the goal. In port…. I walked, and I walked. This time the good won. I lost—not much, but I lost weight!:)

I had a wonderful time. I enjoyed the ports more by seeing more while walking. I enjoyed the ship more by being more active—seeing more and doing more.

The cruise did not have to be for me just the dining room, buffet and room service. I recognized if for what the potential it always had for me as a floating spa—with a gym and walking track, a running track, with pool and activities to keep me active.

Perhaps the formula could be reduced to the basics of diet and excercise–burn more calories than I eat, but the challenge was to bring the new cruising lifestyle to the daily routine ashore, and being mindful of the cruising experience has helped.

That was last December. I’ve since been on an additonal 12 day cruise and am heading out in a week for another. I’ve continued to lose weight on or off a cruise at a steady 2 to 3 pounds a month, now down about 25 pounds over 9 months. There is no guilt and no fear of the cruise, the buffet, or of indulgence.

While “Loose before I cruise” didn’t work, a turn of the phrase helps: “cruise to loose.” Even better, though was to spin it further—”Cruise to a healthy lifestyle.”

you story is so inspirational mythictravel. on one of my cruises, i went to the gym a couple of times and i walked the track. i gained only 2 lbs (compared to other cruises when I gained 7 lbs).

someone in my office has started a "biggest loser" contest here. she did it for own "push" to lose. we just started it this week. everyone who joined (and there are 12 of us at last count) is on his or her own diet (some are nutrisystem, some weight watchers [me], etc.).

I do go to the gym 3 times a week (or walk at lunch time).

Debbi

• 1 year later...
That was last December. I’ve since been on an additonal 12 day cruise and am heading out in a week for another. I’ve continued to lose weight on or off a cruise at a steady 2 to 3 pounds a month, now down about 25 pounds over 9 months. There is no guilt and no fear of the cruise, the buffet, or of indulgence.

Update--it's been a couple of years.... with some land-locked dry spells. I actually find it harder to focus on excercise and healthly eating when there isn't a ship on the horizon. Yet... have recently added strength training to the routine and seems to be working. Weight is maintaining and waist line has dwindled. Pedometer is no longer a fixture on my belt, but do plan to wear it on the next cruise.

Archived