laptops and customs???

dan08

Was reading through and noticed this comment...

"If you have a "recent purchase" expensive item such as Laptop, camera video and so on, declare it to customs prior to sailing"

How recent is recent and why? Im planning on taking my laptop (brought june/july sometimes) on board and am still looking at cameras... so not sure what they mean by the comment.

I think this is the same as has been on the airlines in that if you have a fairlly new item customs could say that you have bought it as part of your allowable limit.What we have always found to be the best thing to do is take your receipts with you as proof that they are not duty free. We did this when we had a new video camera and had no problems.

Jackie

"If you have a "recent purchase" expensive item such as Laptop, camera video and so on, declare it to customs prior to sailing"

How recent is recent and why? Im planning on taking my laptop (brought june/july sometimes) on board and am still looking at cameras... so not sure what they mean by the comment.

I wouldnt worry too much about the laptop. All they have to do is look at ur files or somethign else on ur documents and tell u bought it a while ago. Icy

It could also refer to the TRS Tourist refund scheme where you can claim a refund on the GST paid. There are certain conditions like you must purchase no more than 30 days before travel and must spend over $300. You must also carry this as your carry on luggage.

You have to show your tax invoice to customs for them to process the refund.

I dont think you have anything to worry about, I have never been asked about my laptop when travelling before.

Dan,

This is purely as evidence that you left the country with it and did not buy it during your trip, and are trying to dodge duty on it.

Icy's comment is true that you will be able to prove by your existing files, but that could result in a delay in a screening room.

As already stated here, it is simply proof that you didn't make the pruchase during your trip and therefore maybe avoiding tax or duty.

If you still have the invoice, take a photocopy of that with you as proof; failing that you can download a special form at the Customs website, fill it in and take that along.

They probably won't ask though.

I filled in the form and took it on our last cruise and I got the impression Customs weren't that interested in my laptop and having to site the form and so on. I think they saw it as a total inconvenience for them.

Archived