Chacchoben Ruins Reservations?

FloridaAdGuy

My wife and I will be visiting Costa Maya instead of Grand Caymans on the Norwegian Sun on November 1. We arrive at the port at 7AM and don't leave till 5PM. We're interested in taking a tour to the Chacchoben ruins and visiting the town of Mahahual (eat/drink/shop). Two questions:

1) Should we reserve the Chacchoben trip ahead of time or schedule with a local vendor at the port (any websites for early scheduling would be appreciated)?

2) We've seen varying estimates of how close Mahahual is to the port (1/2 mile to 5 miles down the beach). We do quite a bit of hiking and have no problem 'hoofing' it but curious if someone can give a better estimate of how far a walk it is from the port.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I know of a private person who offers trips to Chachoben with a van for 8 persons. The charge is 35 USD per person that is with a minimum of four persons. He may be contacted at the following email address lunaflojaalgomez@hotmail.com. He offers other trips in the local area. He will be available for trips as from January 2005.

Thanks for the info nitrogenaddict. We were in Costa Maya on November 1 and for those interested in visiting Chacchoben here's how we did it:

1) Grab a cab from the port to Mahajual for $3 each and go to the taxi stand.

2) Negotiate a cab to take your group of 4 or less. We paid $90 total for the one hour trip, waiting for us for 90 minutes, a side trip to the Monkey Farm (bring DEET!), and a return to either the port or back to town.

3) If heading back to town, you'll need a cab back for $2 each (or you can walk back using the path).

Admission is $3/person at the ruins and you should get a guided tour for an additional $5/person. They have snacks and drinks plus minor shopping at the entrance. Our guide was David and I'd HIGHLY recommend him.

NOTE: We're big-time EXPLORERS when we go on vacation. We dive, hike, climb, navigate and interact...we don't mind strange foods, appreciate diverse cultures, and love to learn and experience new things. If your idea of exploring Mexico is drinking Coronas and buying Tanzanite jewelry, then don't bother leaving the Tourist Village...but if you're interested in broadening your horizons, I fully recommend visiting Chacchoben.

Question for nitrogenaddict about the private person with a van - your post mentioned he is only available from January - do you know of any others that might be available in Dec? We will be there for a day Dec 20th and would be interested in finding a knowledgable guide for a private tour for the day for 6 people.

The person I have mentioned is very good but will ONLY be available as from January. In the meantime I would recommend the taxi drivers. David is probably the best. He is taxi number 09. Very pleasant and is trying to learn english. Telll him Douglas told you to ask for him and he will take care of you.

Archived