late arrival into JFK - better to stay at a JFK or Newark hotel?

SouthernSparkler

Hi everyone,

Two of us are flying into JFK around midnight and need a safe pre-cruise hotel prior to our cruise out of Bayonne. I would prefer to take a taxi to a hotel close to Cape Liberty as opposed to staying by JFK Aiport and dealing with traffic the next day. Unless it makes more sense to stay at a JFK hotel and travel the entire distance to the pier the following morning?

Would really appreciate any suggestions about a clean, safe hotel near Cape Liberty, and approximently how much it would run with a cab (cost and time duration) from JFK. Also from the hotel to the pier the following morning. Thank you!

click the link below for my blog about cape lib.

a cab from JFK will not be cheap...it's an NY cab going into NJ.....hopefully smeyer or one of the other nyc experts wil chime in. a car service may be cheaper. i listed a few of those too!

cab from an EWR-area hotel to cape lib is 40-50 bucks!

hth,....let me know if you have other ????s

What date would you be traveling?

I would recommend staying at Kennedy if your plane doesn't get in until midnight. It would likely be 2 am before you got over to NJ. You really don't want to be riding around at that hour with a NY cab who doesn't really know the area.

I'd arrange for a car service to take you to Bayonne the next morning. Even if you are going on a weekday morning, you should have no trouble getting to Bayonne by 11 am, which is just about the earliest you want to arrive.

What date would you be traveling?

I would recommend staying at Kennedy if your plane doesn't get in until midnight. It would likely be 2 am before you got over to NJ. You really don't want to be riding around at that hour with a NY cab who doesn't really know the area.

I'd arrange for a car service to take you to Bayonne the next morning. Even if you are going on a weekday morning, you should have no trouble getting to Bayonne by 11 am, which is just about the earliest you want to arrive.

Ditto this advice. The last thing on earth you want to be doing is riding around the Newark Airport area/Elizabeth with a lost cabbie.

Quite a few hotels available on Priceline for about $100.00. Bid NO LESS than 2.5 star rating (or you will end up in a dump).

As previously posted, you DO NOT want to be riding around Newark after midnight. STAY at JFK, take a car service to the port the next day-about $100, including tips and tolls. You will have a FAR superior experience. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks so much for the advice. We will be arriving on Oct 22 and from your advice, it looks like the best thing to do is to overnight in a hotel near JFK :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for one thats clean yet affordable?

Also approxiametly how long will it take to get to Cape Liberty from a JFK hotel so I can get an idea when to book a pick-up to arrive at the pier around 11?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the advice. We will be arriving on Oct 22 and from your advice, it looks like the best thing to do is to overnight in a hotel near JFK :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for one thats clean yet affordable?

Also approxiametly how long will it take to get to Cape Liberty from a JFK hotel so I can get an idea when to book a pick-up to arrive at the pier around 11?

Thanks!

Define affordable.. In a word the places that are the REALLY affordable ones are those in which you do not want to stay.

The Fairfiled Inn by Marriott is probably on the low end...i just did a quick look...there's a couple comfort inns, days inns, that are under 150. i would skip Super 8, Best western, Howard Johnsons and the like. check the big booking sites like the gnome and ellow suitcase, then check hotel websites...and do some due diligence and read reviews on trip advisor.

good luck!

As posted previously, USE PRICELINE. Should be able to get a 3*** for about $100 or slightly more. 3* in the area are Doubletree and Crowne Plaza.

I fly to NYC once a month for business. 95% of the time I book the first day in an airport hotel-either LGA or JFK. I ALWAYS use Priceline and book the highest star rating I can book. I have RARELY paid more than $125.00 total.

The only drawback is if there are more than 2 people or you need two separate beds. Priceline doesn't generally work for more than two people. You MAY or MAY NOT be able to get two queen beds (may have to call the hotel to get two beds). I am more times than not given a room with 2 queens, when I really would prefer a king (by myself-can spread out laptop, books, papers and lunch).

The Best Western, Ramada and Howard Johnsons' are REAL dumps. There is a Marriott Courtyard that is just OK. Stay away from the rest.

Archived