Microwave for sterilisation RCCL

NorwegianGirl

Hello everybody:)

We are going on the Independence of the seas 10. january 2009.

We are bringing our two kids , 9 months and 3 yrs old.

For the 9 months old we would like to sterilise pasifiers, bottles etc and I`d hate to nag on someone to to it for me, so my queastion is : Is there microwave owens for passengers to use whenever they need to or is it (if ever) only available at meal times:confused:

Hmmm...vacation with children needs a little more planning and packing , doesn`t it...?!:p But I could never ever had left them at home, I would not relax for a minute and miss them alot;)

Actually, the tap water in your bathroom will be fairly hot.

That said, the cold water in your bathroom will probably be lukewarm :D

No microwaves tho. Not available. You may have to make due with simply rinsing.

At 9 months, sterilization should be a non-issue. Just wash! If that child doesn't get some germs for it's immune system to zap, then it will start attacking the child! That immune system is there for a reason! You've heard the old saying, "You've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die"---well, it's true! You body NEEDS things to fight!

True. My mom's a nurse and says exactly that.

Many doctors don't want their patients even sterilizing bottles anymore. This may be a custom that's on its way out.

Having said that, there are sterilizing tablets you can buy. Then all you'd need is a bowl of water and 20 minutes to let them soak. Some people don't like the chemical smell and the whole idea...

For a nine month old, I really don't think it's necessary. Get one of those pacifier leashes that hooks on to the child's clothing (never put it on a string around their neck) to keep the paci from dropping on the floor.

I agree, sterilizing bottles is not really needed. according to this article: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/should-you-sterilize-your-babys-bottles

washing with hot, soapy water will get rid of most germs. So if you can't find something that will work for travel, I hope this makes you feel a little more at ease. Also (and I know this is anecdotal) my ds (now 5) is a former micro-preemie with compromised immune system, and we never sterilized his bottles, and he never got sick...

hth

Hi, I've done a few RCCL cruises with my son when he was a baby (now 2.5), and we are about to do his 6 month old brothers first cruise next month on the Independence.

I can confirm that I've never seen a microwave however I have always used a cold water steriliser. It's a plastic container and you use special sterilising tablets for about 20 mins.

In the UK you can buy them from Tesco for £5 plus tablets.

Also one of the differences between the Independence and the other freedom class ships is that it has tea/coffee making facilities in the staterooms so I'm guessing there will be a kettle. 5 mins in boiling water will also work.

Good luck,

Tracy

Hi, I've done a few RCCL cruises with my son when he was a baby (now 2.5), and we are about to do his 6 month old brothers first cruise next month on the Independence.

I can confirm that I've never seen a microwave however I have always used a cold water steriliser. It's a plastic container and you use special sterilising tablets for about 20 mins.

In the UK you can buy them from Tesco for £5 plus tablets.

Also one of the differences between the Independence and the other freedom class ships is that it has tea/coffee making facilities in the staterooms so I'm guessing there will be a kettle. 5 mins in boiling water will also work.

Good luck,

Tracy

BUT I think the tea kettle/coffee making facilities in the state room might only happen during the Europe cruises (because tea is more traditionally a European thing) That thought is more along the lines of the "immersion style" crusing, where the line tries to accommodate the traditional lifestyle of the majority of it's passengers.

That said, I have no idea if I am correct.

However, since you are on the ship, I would encourage you to contact RCCL and ask if there will be a tea/coffee kettle in your stateroom, for your cruise. If they say no, let them know that they are available on European cruises and you would like to request one for your room. I would even hit up the "I'm originally from Europe and I always do tea" option. I probably would not say that I wanted to use it as a sterilizer tho... Just as they dont want to make "baby food" but will provide pureed food to passengers.....if you say you want to use a kettle for anything other than it's intended/approved use, you will probably get a big fat "nope"

Good luck!

Archived