"Self Drive Jeep Safari"

bakerintn

We took the "self drive jeep safari" through NCL in March 2008.

Here is a link to my photo album of this excursion:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerintn/SamanaDominicanRepublic

We met the jeep safari right by the tender dock and stood around for about 20 minutes until the whole group was there. We signed liability waivers and then joined our 4-person groups. I was in a jeep with only 3 people (the back seat is something else for anyone over 6'!!). My wife drove the stick-shift jeep like it was a sports car, but really enjoyed the driving.

It took about 4 hours and we drove (4 per jeep) our selves in a carravan over the 'roads', across a small river and stopped at a place where the local plantation plants, economy and some politics were presented. Then we trekked from there for about 15 minutes on a dirt trail to a small waterfall. There, local kids climbed trees and jumped in to the pool below the water fall. Other local kids helped several of our group along the way, even holding hands over the rougher spots. We returned to the "lecture hall", re-boarded the jeeps and headed to a beach on the windward side (maybe 10 minutes or so away).

There, we got the "chance" to buy some drinks and enjoy the beach. Some of us went in to the water / surf and managed to hang on to our bathing suits. Large bottles of beer helped wash out the salt water.

We reboarded the jeeps and drove back across the mountains to the other side of the peninsula, to the park by the tender dock.

Archived