Anyone wanna help me guess my ports of call?

magandanae

With all these dang tropical storms/hurricanes pounding the eastern carribean I am only left to guess what will be left standing for my cruise aboard the Liberty Sept 20th. It's almost kinda thrilling to not really know where I could be going two weeks from today. Here is our ports of call, Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. I figured if it was really bad or another storm came that they would give us the same ones as the one that left today Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, and Isla Roatan which I was be excited about since we were thinking about doing that next year! BUT here is where the guessing game comes in if St. Thomas and San Juan are still a go or visa versa I would think we still do eastern just substitute so what are the options Carnival would have close by???? I love a good mystery!:cool:

I'll put my money on St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay.

That would be awesome! After all that is what I am hoping for. But one thing we all have learned is ANYTHING can change! I am a "seasoned" cruiser in the other 4 newbie eyes going with me and I seem to be fielding the "what if" questions. I told them hell or high water we are cruising! If that means getting on a bus and being driving to an alt port (i.e. New Orleans/Mobile right now), I know we are getting on a boat and we are going somewhere! And I think it's for 7 days but that is still to be determined! I am setting the expectations reasonable I think;)

HNC might have wind and waves that are too bad to allow tendering. It seems Nassau is a favorite alternative.

I am a tad concerned about that as well. I just hope it's one of those situations were they know ahead of time and not get there and decide it isn't going to work and cut a port of call completely out. Again totally understandable in poor conditions but I can wish!

Here's guessing that you will probably keep your original ports. However, just be flexible...remember that 7 days at sea is better than a week at work! :D . From our experience a few years ago, we were headed to the western caribbean until we were boarding. At that time, they changed us to eastern due to a storm. That was going to give us 2 days at sea to start with instead of one. No biggie. BUT, on day 2, we turned back to the west due to a storm forming close to St Thomas. Day 3 and we're still at sea. Day 4 is still a sea day... by now, we're basically going in circles, east no west no east no west.... Finally day 5 we land in Mo Bay, a day AFTER a storm had blown through there. Day 6 took us to Nassau. The entire time we had beautiful skies and seas. We did get free phone/internet service and a small refund of our port fees for the missed ports. Just go with a good attitude and enjoy what comes.

How about mine?? Im leaving on the Conquest tomorrow, no update yet from Carnival of course. We are supposed to be in Jamaica on Wednesday.

I will keep my figures crossed for you! I know it's hard for anyone to know until the last minute. Have a DOD and have a blast! :)

Here's guessing that you will probably keep your original ports. However, just be flexible...remember that 7 days at sea is better than a week at work! :D . From our experience a few years ago, we were headed to the western caribbean until we were boarding. At that time, they changed us to eastern due to a storm. That was going to give us 2 days at sea to start with instead of one. No biggie. BUT, on day 2, we turned back to the west due to a storm forming close to St Thomas. Day 3 and we're still at sea. Day 4 is still a sea day... by now, we're basically going in circles, east no west no east no west.... Finally day 5 we land in Mo Bay, a day AFTER a storm had blown through there. Day 6 took us to Nassau. The entire time we had beautiful skies and seas. We did get free phone/internet service and a small refund of our port fees for the missed ports. Just go with a good attitude and enjoy what comes.

I just am hoping everyone is safe tonight! After seeing what New Orleans looked like 2 years later I am only imagining what Grand Turk will look like in two weeks! Granted different storms/location I just look at the pics of GT and think of paradise. Trust me I will have a good time I will be child free for the first time in a year! WOOHOO!!!! Bring on the alcohol, oh and my best friend from the day I was born is coming too! YIPEE! And I guess my hubby too LOL! :p

With all these dang tropical storms/hurricanes pounding the eastern carribean I am only left to guess what will be left standing for my cruise aboard the Liberty Sept 20th. It's almost kinda thrilling to not really know where I could be going two weeks from today. Here is our ports of call, Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. I figured if it was really bad or another storm came that they would give us the same ones as the one that left today Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, and Isla Roatan which I was be excited about since we were thinking about doing that next year! BUT here is where the guessing game comes in if St. Thomas and San Juan are still a go or visa versa I would think we still do eastern just substitute so what are the options Carnival would have close by???? I love a good mystery!:cool:

If you end up alive all is good!!!!

It will be interesting to see how Grand Turk fares after getting the full-on brunt of a Cat 4 hurricane at this moment...

*I'm not a meteorologist, just my personal opinion after soaking up the new 11 PM EDT info...

I've never been to either port but everytime I think about this Costa Maya. Just hope that people are safe! So without GT in the plans anyone have a guess if/what will replace it? You think they will hit up Nassau/Freeport before going to San Juan St. Thomas or you think they will pick up something out in that general area??? Things that make you go hmmm...

Grand Turk is going to get blasted by Ike, doubt they can get rebuilt in time to allow an port visit.

From what I recall it's not a tender either. Cat 4 equals damange to dock and that means no go for any cruise boats :( Oh well just means I gotta go on another cruise to see GT soon!

I've never been to either port but everytime I think about this Costa Maya. Just hope that people are safe! So without GT in the plans anyone have a guess if/what will replace it? You think they will hit up Nassau/Freeport before going to San Juan St. Thomas or you think they will pick up something out in that general area??? Things that make you go hmmm...

Yeah... Costa Maya... I was supposed to go there on my Legend cruise in May. I was not psyched for my cruise after that... until I was on it. Even then it was with a heavy heart. I was delighted though to see how Cozumel had rebounded after taking Wilma head on.

It will be interesting to see how Grand Turk fares after getting the full-on brunt of a Cat 4 hurricane at this moment...

*I'm not a meteorologist, just my personal opinion after soaking up the new 11 PM EDT info...

I just heard on The Weather Channel that Grand Turk was hit hard and about 80% of all structures were damaged. I do not think anyone will be visiting there soon.:(

Archived