San Diego Marriotts for Pre/Post Cruise

MadManOfBethesda

The search function isn't working this morning, so I apologize if this is something that has been asked and answered many times before.

I'm going to be taking a cruise out of San Diego In January and I have never been there so I am planning a one-night pre-cruise, and a one-night post cruise stay. I have about half a million Marriott points so I can stay free at any Marriott there, and I noticed that there are two in the general vicinity of the port: the Marriott Marina and the Marriott Gaslight Quarter. If anyone is familiar with the area or these particular properties, could you recommend one or the other? Or is there a third option that I may be overlooking?

TIA

Scott

Haven't stayed at the Marina. But the one in the Gaslamp district was great. With the points you've accumulated I assume you are platinum.

We stayed on points in April and were upgraded due to platinum status. Here's a pic of the view from our room.

2514443907_a1eb7543bb.jpg

There's plenty to do in the Gaslamp District and it's not a bad walk to get to the marina area.

Charlie

Both are very nice. The Marina one is right on the water with a great view of the bay, and just steps away from the Seaport Village shopping/restaurant area, and adjacent to the San Diego Convention Center and San Diego Trolley line.

The Gaslamp one is more in the Gaslamp Quarter (restaurants, clubs and shops), next to the Petco baseball park (above) and newer, also close to a different Trolley stop, but they are both fine hotels.

Other options include the Coronado Island Marriott Resort which has a great view, and easy access to the pier area via passenger ferry, or one of the Courtyard Marriott properties in Old Town, or downtown near Horton Plaza shopping mall.

I appreciate the replies. Since they both seem to be nice hotels and both nearby trolley stops and shops/restaurants, maybe I'll just book one precruise & one post-cruise.

Charlie, I'm not platinum, just gold. Although that does give me upgrades when available as well as access to the concierge lounges.

Scott

Archived