Halloween costumes

CindyKfrmWA

That would be fashion, right?! I am 44 and only once have I dressed up for Halloween as an adult.

This year we will be cruising and I would love some ideas on something that would not take up to much space in my luggage,but still be fun. I am 5'5"and almost 140 pounds.

Any ideas for something appropriate for my age and size? Any good places to purchase online?

I usually make my Halloween costumes since I was a seamstress in a former life. But here is a link to an online company I've used to buy accessories. http://www.halloweenexpress.com/

We did a cruise over Halloween and it was a blast! Some people really go all out and it is amazing that they packed such elaborate costumes. But, it was so fun and I'd love to cruise again over Halloween. We went as the Statue of Liberty and Uncle Sam. We had lots of people stop and ask to take our pictures. I made the costumes, but I would think you could by them online.

Be sure to wear your costume to dinner in the dining room. Lots of people did and it was great!

We bought one of those costumes in a bag that they sell at the Halloween stores - went as Caesar and Cleopatra. Those costumes in a bag took up very little room in our suitcase. We took them just in case and were so glad that we did - dress for the evening on Halloween was informal or Halloween costume. The ship held a Halloween party and costume judging after the dinner seatings.

I also am a seamstress and have made costumes in the past. However, if you want a "cheap and cheerful" costume that you can leave on the ship, check out Oriental Trading Company. My sister wore one of their costumes when she participated with a group at the Jackson Hole rodeo and their team won the costume contest! They were all dressed as Uncle Sam (four girls)! I thought the costume was cute and am quite certain they would not be expensive.....

Cheers, Pam

I love Halloween! My mom and I dress up for Halloween every year and I love coming up with costume ideas.

First of all, which direction do you tend to go more. Funny or classy or scary? Who are you cruising with? A DH who would be willing to do a partner costume? Friends or family?

If you want something cruise-centric, there are all kinds of things you can do that wouldn't take up much room for packing.

Our last cruise was over halloween and these were our costumes (my mom, my grandma and I). I was a cheeseburger in paradise (margaritaville shirt, cheeseburger hat, a sign that said welcome to paradise, bermuda shorts and flip-flops). My mom was a gold digger. She wore black capris, a gold top, sandals and had a bag of chocolate gold coins on her belt. We also made a shovel for her with sand that we painted gold and glued on along with a plastic gold coin. My Grandma went as Miss America 1945. She wore formal wear and we made her a sash that said Miss America 1945. She also wore a tiara. Everyone loved that costume!

On our cruise, there was the entire cast of gilligan's island (including a palm tree), the cast of the wizard of oz, the game of operation, a shark and a diver, and so on.

What percentage of the cruisers dress up for Halloween? We will be going on our first cruise since childhood over Halloween. I'm sorting out clothing and am daunted by the thought of finding costumes too.

I think it will depend on your cruise line and specific ship, length of cruise, etc. We were on HAL over Halloween in 2006 and I dressed up (brought a red devil headband & sequined pitchfork & tail--easy to pack, wore with a red dress I would have brought anyway) We had LOTS of people dressed up and the nightclub was packed during the Halloween party and costume contest. We were married Oct 28 and since we often vacation around our anniversary, I like to pack a quick & easy sort of costume--I won't win the contest but I have fun getting into the spirit of things. On our honeymoon a few years back, I brought a headband with cat's ears and the resort where we stayed had face painting available--so I had a cat's face done to match the ears:p

I think it will depend on your cruise line and specific ship, length of cruise, etc. We were on HAL over Halloween in 2006 and I dressed up (brought a red devil headband & sequined pitchfork & tail--easy to pack, wore with a red dress I would have brought anyway) We had LOTS of people dressed up and the nightclub was packed during the Halloween party and costume contest. We were married Oct 28 and since we often vacation around our anniversary, I like to pack a quick & easy sort of costume--I won't win the contest but I have fun getting into the spirit of things. On our honeymoon a few years back, I brought a headband with cat's ears and the resort where we stayed had face painting available--so I had a cat's face done to match the ears:p

Wear a blue dress and go as a song theme we did one year living in Munich. I loved being "Devil With A Blue Dress On".

I think if the two who dressed as the Statue of Liberty and Uncle Sam were on the Carnival Legend a few years back I saw them. They looked great. We'll be on a cruise over Halloween again this year but it's formal night. Wish they would chnage the date because it gets hard finding a really good costume for that night and not need an extra suitcase for the 11 nights.

Also, if you want funny, you could go as a pair of tacky tourists. socks with sandals, mismatched shirts and shorts, big sunhats and sunglasses, a camera around the neck and so on. You could go really over the top with it.

You could also do a pairs costume going as a police officer and prisoner, devil and angel, priest and nun, etc...

Archived