Restaurant Manager on QE2

jdr2

Hi

I know this is a long shot but I wonder if there are any experienced QE2 cruisers who remember Roy Hayhurst? He is my late father and due to my parents divorce I did not get to know him very well. I would love to hear from anyone who remembered him. He was Restaurant Manager of the Queens Grill. I have a lovely photo of him surrounded by all the restaurant staff from 1983.

Thank you

Seachase20 - thank you for your kind reply. As I said it is a long shot - but you never know somebody might remember him. If anyone knows of a book with a history of the QE2 please let me know as I would be interested in trying to find that. Also if anyone is travelling on the last voyages of the QE2 maybe they might get chance to ask any longstanding crew if they remmember him? Do any of you remember,many, many years ago Alan Whicker did a programme on board the QE2? I recall seeing that and I think there was a flood in the restaurant and my Dad was briefly in the picture.

Just want to say to anyone going on one of the ship's final voyages - hope you have a fabulous tume!

Jo

Was your father the manager of the Queen's grill from 1975 to 1978? If so, I do remember an excellent restaurant manager who remembered me from year to year. I do not recall his name, but I crossed the Atlantic in the Queen's Grill twice a year. He also remembered my late father and uncle from their tranatlantic crossings (on the old Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary) and always asked me to remember to give them their best wishes.

I crossed the Atlantic on my own and the gentleman whom I believe was your father always seated me at a table with intersting companions. He was of the old school. When the staff of the QE2 was no longer British, the old standards disappeared and, IMHO, the QE2 was never the same again.

JDR2

on the Alan Whicker video 'Fast Boat to China' filmed on QE2 there was a 5 minute slot with the Maitre D' of the Queens Grill, a gentleman with glasses sat with his Assistant who I am sure was from the 'West Country' / South West of the UK re his regional accent. Was this not your father perhaps? It is a shame my late grandparents are not here as they would be able to answer this question - they sailed extensively on QE2 from the pre-maiden voyage of 1969 right up until 1991 mainly in the Queens Grill & in the early years the Columbia Restaurant.

Are you able to scan & add the photo you have onto this sight? This may help jog some people's memories!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Thanks for your replies! Yes he was on the ship in the 1970's. He later went on to run the restaurant at the Ritz hotel in London and also a hotel he called the "Sands" in Barbados. I will try and get a photo scanned on. I do also have some other interesting photos of the QE2 so will get those posted too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I know this is a long shot but I wonder if there are any experienced QE2 cruisers who remember Roy Hayhurst? He is my late father and due to my parents divorce I did not get to know him very well. I would love to hear from anyone who remembered him. He was Restaurant Manager of the Queens Grill. I have a lovely photo of him surrounded by all the restaurant staff from 1983.

Thank you

I certainly recall your Father on board - his picture is familiar to me although I probably never actually met him. We started crusing on QE2 in 1983 and haven't looked back since.

Your picture of the waiters in the Columbia Restaurant (now Caronia) is interesting - probably taken in early 1983. We sailed first in 1983 and in Sept 1984 and the table waiter we had is positioned extreme left of the picture. His name was Bill, a wonderful chap and so kind. He served on Queen Mary before QE2. I wonder if anyone knows anymore details of him?

Sorry I cannot be of any further assistance.

John

QE2 Last Voyage to Dubai November 2008 :)

Archived