Passenger/Space/Crew ratio - Solstice class

BrendaJ

I've been comparing the passenger to space ratio and the passenger to crew ratio on several cruise lines (by looking at what is posted for each ship on a particular "vacations" website) and for the Solstice and Equinox, it states that there will be 999 crew aboard. That's the same number they post for the Millie-class ships. That can't be right, can it?

Does anyone know where on Celebrity's site I can find how many crew will be on board the new class of ship?

I've been comparing the passenger to space ratio and the passenger to crew ratio on several cruise lines (by looking at what is posted for each ship on a particular "vacations" website) and for the Solstice and Equinox, it states that there will be 999 crew aboard. That's the same number they post for the Millie-class ships. That can't be right, can it?

Does anyone know where on Celebrity's site I can find how many crew will be on board the new class of ship?

Hi Brenda:

I was able to find the press release from when Celebrity announced the Solstice class ships and it indicates crew will be 1250. Below is the link:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00008hWs-qhdCkhZeeCxOb6ru2d:12hdebdrn?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2005-07-12&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Thanks, Don - that makes a lot more sense. I found another unofficial website that stated 1,500 which I thought seemed a bit high - that would be the same crew/passenger ratio as Azamara.

Although 1,250 will put the Solstice class with fewer crew to passengers than the Millie-class ships, they're still much better than RCCL and Carnival's largest ships, so I'm sure we'll have excellent service on the new builds.

I also have to assume that modern ship building constantly improves the efficiency of the layout, and that crew can move more effectively on the new builds than on older ships. I remember the old ships like the Norway and the Festivale which had the most bizarre layouts - it was often hard to find your cabin with all the winding corridors. I can just imagine what the crew areas were like on those ships. :eek:

Although 1,250 will put the Solstice class with fewer crew to passengers than the Millie-class ships, they're still much better than RCCL and Carnival's largest ships, so I'm sure we'll have excellent service on the new builds.

Another consideration is that on the newer ships there will likely be more automation to take the place of "behind the scene" crew, thereby freeing up crew members to work with the passengers.

Archived