Colon Panama...Can We Get Off????

bigjohn42

The US dollar is the US dollar!

LHP, Unofficially . . . If you are on the ZUIDERDAM it goes through Gatun Locks, drops off shore excursion passengers only at Gatun Lake. The ACP (Canal Authority) does not allow anyone else to get off within the Canal. There are no cabs, no public access, only the authorized tour buses. The ship waits until the ACP can get it into the flow of ships back through Gatun Locks. The Canal isn't designed for this type of turn around cruise. When they can slot it in, the ship goes back through the locks and ends up at Colon 2000 pier in Colon. If the ship gets in early in the afternoon, your plan should work, provided you tell the cab driver you MUST be back at the ship by the back on board time. The traffic can be horrendous particularly if there is an accident and the ship won't wait, and since everyone gets back about the same time there is a long line waiting to get back on board. And Panamanians are notoriously unconcerned with time and deadlines.

It all depends on when the ship actually is cleared in Colon to disembark guests. If you can be flexible . . . it might work.

Regards, Richard

Thank you Richard.

We will be on the Carnival Freedom. This is its first time to Colon for the season (it has been in Europe). We are docking at the Colon2000 terminal.

We will be there from 7AM - 4PM. (I believe on a Thursday...which is Thanksgiving for us here in the States.)

Again, a ship tour would be my first choice if that was an option for us.

At least we will get to see the Gatun Locks.

Just an additional note to thank you for your information on these boards and elsewhere....I have learned so much from reading your writings! We appreciate it!

I am sure Richard wil have a better take on it, but we have been to Panama three times, and know some folks on our ship that did take a taxi tour to the locks & enjoyed it. Once you are at the locks themselves it is a fascinating place, but I would only get a taxi from inside the pier & return to the peir. Enjoy your trip

Linda

Richard in Panama (and others), when we take the Zuiderdam next month partial transit, what excursion do you recommend (i.e. domed rail car or boat trip through the canal), or should we stay on board to experience the Locks and just relax? Some of the excursions described sound like long days with much time spent on the return trip by bus.

We stopped in Colon, Panama on our 2006 cruise. The crew told us not to leave the terminal at all.

It was much worse than any bad area of a US city or poor port anywhere in Mexico or the Caribbean. It looked like a war torn city, with many buildings falling down. At night most of the city was without electricity. At the front of the terminal men were trying to lure people outside and guards with large guns kept telling people to stay inside & the men to get away.

The people seemed very poor and desperate.

I couldn't believe some passengers were trying to bargain for some handmade crafts -most of which weren't priced more than .25 cents-$10 anyway. :(

Richard in Panama (and others), when we take the Zuiderdam next month partial transit, what excursion do you recommend (i.e. domed rail car or boat trip through the canal), or should we stay on board to experience the Locks and just relax? Some of the excursions described sound like long days with much time spent on the return trip by bus.

Jesterscourt, By all means get off the Dam ship! The trip back through the Gatun Locks is exactly the same. This is your chance to see some of Panama - you'll have lots of sea time to "just relax" on this cruise! The shore excursions in Panama are longer, but I believe it's worth it to see a unique part of the world. If you are really interested in the Canal take the Canal Ferry excursion: you get to see the rest of the Canal and it is a relaxing boat ride. Same with the train. The Embera tour requires some mobility, but is unique and different from anything else you will experience on a cruise.

See you on board! Regards, Richard

When I did the partial in Feb on the Volendam, I decided to stay aboard because our arrival was before sunrise (hence dark). Each leg was a unique experience. Going in, it was difficult to see all the detail that was going on, going out, it was much easier to observe. Seeing the tight tolerances these ships deal with is remarkable, not something easily observed in darkness. HAL had a number of representatives of local craftsmen on board and offered molas and stone carvings for a very reasonable price, which was a nice added touch.

Archived