Colon Panama...Can We Get Off????

bigjohn42

Hey folk's, Just a quick question, we are doing the Panama Sunfarer on 3-9-09, i noticed that we are docked in Colon from 3:00 to 7:00 pm, they don't really count this as a stop in a port, IE: no shore excursions from Colon. I see there are many from Gatun Lake. Are you allowed to disembark and walk around Colon and if so is there anything close by to check out? Thanks very much, John :)

Going into Colon is not advisable as it is supposedly a crime ridden H***hole.

Indeed - there were armed and uniformed guardsmen there at the port on our visit there...

...and looking at the surrounding areas, there's no way I wanted to go wandering around alone - or even step foot in a taxi.

I believe that once the OP sees the surroundings for themselves on sail-in - he will understand and feel the same way.

Indeed - there were armed and uniformed guardsmen there at the port on our visit there...

...and looking at the surrounding areas, there's no way I wanted to go wandering around alone - or even step foot in a taxi.

I believe that once the OP sees the surroundings for themselves on sail-in - he will understand and feel the same way.

I don't remember it being that bad. I've been to a lot worse places. That said.....it was a very short time period.

The ship stops in Colon to pick up passengers who took shore excursions through the canal by ferry and train and are being bussed back to meet the ship. We were warned that if our bus arrived at Colon before the ship arrived to pick us up that we were not to venture outside the terminal shops area as it was too dangerous. They told us that even the crew will not go ashore there. I would not advise you to wander outside the shopping mall attached to the dock as I remember the bus going through quite a ratty area to get to the dock area. It didn't invite wandering.

We stayed on the ship in Gatun Lake and didn't take any excursions because we were only doing a partial-transit of the canal and wanted to watch the ship go back through the locks again.

When we docked in Colon, we went down to the gangway as soon as they said we could get off the ship. They let us get off before allowing the excursion people to get on. Passengers were YELLING at the security people. It was one of the rudest things I have ever witnessed on a cruise ship. Some of the excursions were long, and I guess people didn't read the description or something. They were demanding to be allowed on before we were let off because "We're hungry! They've been on the ship all day! We need lunch! We should be allowed on first!" Some people....so beware that things bould be dicey when you get off in Colon. :D

Also, there are two shopping areas right at the dock. The first area is made up of small shops (probably owned by the cruise lines :p ). Go beyond that and behind it in the same warehouse-type building is a kind of swap meet. Tables and tables and tables of things to buy at pretty decent prices. I got some beautiful Kuna-indian molas that I love.

A group of indians were performing back in the shop area when we came out. It was very nice.

We did not venture out of that secure area. Friends from our roll call were on one of the excursions, and they said they would not have wanted to be wandering around on their own.

Robin

There is a shopping area at the port filled with local crafts, the usual T-shirts and natives dressed in local costumes (or in some cases non-costumes:rolleyes: ). Going into Colon is not advisable as it is supposedly a crime ridden H***hole.

Hey! I missed this the first time. Hi, Sue! (I'll email soon.)

I forgot to add that the native women were topless. Even the ones dancing.

Robin

We docked at Colon last year for several hours.

You can arrange a short tour with taxi's that are allowed in.

You can turn to your right just as you exit under the terminal, and go to the grocery store. They had a fine selection of liquors at less then ship prices.

Drink some ice cold Atlas beers from the store while watching others come and go.

Unfortunately we were there on a sunday and the stores in the town were closed.

Like anyplace else, just be aware of your surroundings.

Hugh in Dallas.

We were there a couple of years ago on a partial Panama Canal transit -- we got off in Gatun Lake and took what used to be called the ocean to ocean excursion (highly recommended, by the way). We came back via bus and went through the center of Colon. I have been a lot of places worldwide and I never saw a scarier place in my life. No money in the world would have gotten me off that bus there (not that it was an option -- our guide told us that anyone who didn't look like a local wouldn't make it two blocks without something really bad happening).

As others have noted, the area immediately off the ship is full of shopping kiosks and is within the port's secure area -- that is perfectly fine, but I wouldn't suggest leaving the port area.

We were there a couple of years ago on a partial Panama Canal transit -- we got off in Gatun Lake and took what used to be called the ocean to ocean excursion (highly recommended, by the way). We came back via bus and went through the center of Colon. I have been a lot of places worldwide and I never saw a scarier place in my life. No money in the world would have gotten me off that bus there (not that it was an option -- our guide told us that anyone who didn't look like a local wouldn't make it two blocks without something really bad happening).

As others have noted, the area immediately off the ship is full of shopping kiosks and is within the port's secure area -- that is perfectly fine, but I wouldn't suggest leaving the port area.

Have you ever been to south Chicago? East Los Angeles? Oakland? south Oak cliff in Dallas?

They are all scarier then Colon.

There is a large contingent of American expats now living in Panama. Cheaper medical care, a great cost of living.

I'd suggest the O.P. might want to go find some of the reviews of the Carnival Liberty and Miracle from last winter. They both sailed there last winter, also the Panama board, then make up their own mind.

Hugh in Dallas

Have you ever been to south Chicago? East Los Angeles? Oakland? south Oak cliff in Dallas?

They are all scarier then Colon.

There is a large contingent of American expats now living in Panama. Cheaper medical care, a great cost of living.

I'd suggest the O.P. might want to go find some of the reviews of the Carnival Liberty and Miracle from last winter. They both sailed there last winter, also the Panama board, then make up their own mind.

Hugh in Dallas

I have read that Miami is the most dangerous cruise port of all. And yet, millions of cruise ship passengers/crew are in the area, each day.

Hey folk's, Just a quick question, we are doing the Panama Sunfarer on 3-9-09, i noticed that we are docked in Colon from 3:00 to 7:00 pm, they don't really count this as a stop in a port, IE: no shore excursions from Colon. I see there are many from Gatun Lake. Are you allowed to disembark and walk around Colon and if so is there anything close by to check out? Thanks very much, John :)

A couple of years ago my wife and I walked into town looking for an INTERNET place.....and after walking around for 15/20 minutes or so, a couple of cops came up to us and asked that we please go back to the pier, they were getting tired of following us to make sure we stayed safe....they even flagged down a taxi for us to get out ASAP...And there is really not much to see anyway except poverty...Scary when I think about it. We are so use to walking all around Mexico being comfortable that we thought it was the same, but it really isn't...

After reading some of these posts, I am truly amazed at the lack of knowledge about Colón; it is an extremely poor, neglected and dangerous city. Certainly most major American cities have bad areas and good common sense will keep you out of trouble most of the time. Having lived in Florida for 30 years, I know Miami very well. There was a period when some city residents were attacking people with broken down cars on I95. Colón, however, is quite different.

I know a lovely Panamanian woman in another department where I work. She was astounded when I told her that the Volendam would be stopping in Colón to pick up some passengers. Her comment was that Colón was the worst, dirtiest and most dangerous place in Panama. Her advice was that, under no circumstances, should I get off the ship or make any attempt to look around. She was right; I have never seen such a dismal place with awful, wrenching poverty. There is no American city that could compare.

There is a shopping area at the port filled with local crafts, the usual T-shirts and natives dressed in local costumes (or in some cases non-costumes:rolleyes: ). Going into Colon is not advisable as it is supposedly a crime ridden H***hole

I think this poster is referring to the Colon port called Cristobal. HAL generally uses Colon2000 which does not have the local crafts, Indigenous folks, etc.

I put a map on my blog about Colon showing where the two ports are located. Bottom line: take a tour from the ship and disembark at Gatun Lake. There frankly is nothing to see at Colon2000 and I would not walk around there, and I live in Panama.

http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/cruising-to-panama/

Hope to see you on ZUIDERDAM!

Regards, Richard

I think this poster is referring to the Colon port called Cristobal. HAL generally uses Colon2000 which does not have the local crafts, Indigenous folks, etc.

I put a map on my blog about Colon showing where the two ports are located. Bottom line: take a tour from the ship and disembark at Gatun Lake. There frankly is nothing to see at Colon2000 and I would not walk around there, and I live in Panama.

Regards, Richard

Yes, last year the Volendam came back from Gatun Lake and went past a Celebrity M ship that we had been shadowing for a few days. We kept going around a point of land and docked well away from the X ship. According to your map, they were at Cristobal and apparently we were at Colon 2000. While I was watching, no one left the Volendam - it was strictly people returning from excursions.

• 1 month later...

Regards, Richard

Richard:

We were planning to get a taxi from the Colon2000 taxi dispatcher to ride out to Gatun Locks and back. There will be 3 of us. We can't do ship excursions, because we have a special needs son. Is this something that is safe for us to do?

We have gone to places like the Dominican Republic and gotten taxi drivers that spoke no English...but the dispatcher told them where to take us and they also stay with you. We were comfortable with that and had a great time.

We have also traveled to Israel on our own ...so we have some experience with rough places. But we certainly don't want to flaunt our noses at common sense.

Thanks!

Richard:

We were planning to get a taxi from the Colon2000 taxi dispatcher to ride out to Gatun Locks and back. There will be 3 of us. We can't do ship excursions, because we have a special needs son. Is this something that is safe for us to do?

Thanks!

You will be able to set up a tour with a Driver inside the tourist area. There will be several folks there selling them.

We did this last march. There were four of us. I think the price was about $40.00 total. Remember they use the U.S. currency on a One to One basis.

The driver took us to the canal. Waited for us and asked us if there was anything else we would like to see. It was rainy that day and it was a sunday so not much was open, so we returned to the enclosed area, got some ice cold Atlas beers at the grocery store within that area and bought some liquor. Excellent prices for both.

Hugh in Dallas

Three years ago, there was a quaint little shopping area at the dock which appeared safe. We took a HAL arranged shore excursion on a train. The bus ride to the train station took us through Colon and it looked quite dumpy.

If I was not on a HAL arranged shore excursion I don't think I would be wandering outside of the dock area.

Three years ago, there was a quaint little shopping area at the dock which appeared safe. We took a HAL arranged shore excursion on a train. The bus ride to the train station took us through Colon and it looked quite dumpy.

If I was not on a HAL arranged shore excursion I don't think I would be wandering outside of the dock area.

Not to be argumentive but pick which western carribean port that isn't poor?

Hugh in Dallas

U.S. currency on a One to One basis

The US dollar is the US dollar!

LHP, Unofficially . . . If you are on the ZUIDERDAM it goes through Gatun Locks, drops off shore excursion passengers only at Gatun Lake. The ACP (Canal Authority) does not allow anyone else to get off within the Canal. There are no cabs, no public access, only the authorized tour buses. The ship waits until the ACP can get it into the flow of ships back through Gatun Locks. The Canal isn't designed for this type of turn around cruise. When they can slot it in, the ship goes back through the locks and ends up at Colon 2000 pier in Colon. If the ship gets in early in the afternoon, your plan should work, provided you tell the cab driver you MUST be back at the ship by the back on board time. The traffic can be horrendous particularly if there is an accident and the ship won't wait, and since everyone gets back about the same time there is a long line waiting to get back on board. And Panamanians are notoriously unconcerned with time and deadlines.

It all depends on when the ship actually is cleared in Colon to disembark guests. If you can be flexible . . . it might work.

Regards, Richard

You will be able to set up a tour with a Driver inside the tourist area. There will be several folks there selling them.

We did this last march. There were four of us. I think the price was about $40.00 total. Remember they use the U.S. currency on a One to One basis.

The driver took us to the canal. Waited for us and asked us if there was anything else we would like to see. It was rainy that day and it was a sunday so not much was open, so we returned to the enclosed area, got some ice cold Atlas beers at the grocery store within that area and bought some liquor. Excellent prices for both.

Hugh in Dallas

Thanks so much!!

Archived