Lahaina On Your Own thru POA

RumpunchGirl

Has anyone booked the tour thru the POA excursions? Just wondering hour it works. Does it have a set drop off and pick up time? If so, how long are you given in the Town? Or, are there different times you can get a shuttle. When you read the discription on NCL web site, it only gives you the round trip time of 1 1/2 hrs. I am trying to find time to call the NCL help line but thought someone here may have actually done this one.

Thanks!

Teri

We took the tour with POAL in Feb. of this year. We were docked in Kahului over night. They have a drop off and pick up by the Banyan Tree Park, in Lahaina. We did not use the return bus back. We took a bus to Whalers Village and Kaanapali.($1.00) I can't really tell how long you will have in Lahaina because we didn't go back, but the tour bus driver told us we needed to be back at a certain time. I think they maybe had 3 1/2 hours there or so. If you are there for any length of time I would see about renting a car. Especially if you are overnight I would absolutely rent. We used my nieces car when we got to Whalers Village.The trip did take us approx 45 minutes to get there.The driving is very easy just give your self time to get back to the pier due to unforseen circumstances.(traffic accidents, road construction ect.) We loved Lahaina, and loved Maui. I am sure someone has stayed for the entire tour maybe they can give you the exact amount of time they are there.

Did this tour 2 summers ago. Don't remember actual times, but the bus dropped us off a Hilo Hatties in the morning. We shopped there for a while and drank some free Kona coffee for a boost. Then we just walked whereever we wanted. The bus then picks you up in the after noon ( I want to say around 2) where it dropped you off or at the center of town at the courthouse by the big banyon tree. I really enjoyed this one. Loved the little shops.

Did this tour 2 summers ago. Don't remember actual times, but the bus dropped us off a Hilo Hatties in the morning. We shopped there for a while and drank some free Kona coffee for a boost. Then we just walked whereever we wanted. The bus then picks you up in the after noon ( I want to say around 2) where it dropped you off or at the center of town at the courthouse by the big banyon tree. I really enjoyed this one. Loved the little shops.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't do this but spoke to someone the day before who said they were and the times were 9.30 and 3.30.

There is a free shuttle bus to the shopping centre where a Roberts bus takes you to Lahaina for $1. It may be an idea to look at their website for details.

Didn't do this but spoke to someone the day before who said they were and the times were 9.30 and 3.30.

There is a free shuttle bus to the shopping centre where a Roberts bus takes you to Lahaina for $1. It may be an idea to look at their website for details.

You're talking about the Ka'ahumanu Center in Kahului, correct? That's where the county bus hub is. I think you mean they should take the free shuttle from the pier to the center and then pick up the Lahaina Islander (route 20), correct? (The bus system is not actually owned by Roberts. It's the Maui County bus system and is run by Robert's.)

Here's the link: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.asp?NID=609

beachchick

We took this shuttle a week ago. It was very nice. We we're dropped off in Lahiana at 9am and picked up at either the wharf or hilo hatties at 3pm sharp (it's your choice). We enjoyed this day to do whatever we wanted.

• 5 years later...
You're talking about the Ka'ahumanu Center in Kahului, correct? That's where the county bus hub is. I think you mean they should take the free shuttle from the pier to the center and then pick up the Lahaina Islander (route 20), correct? (The bus system is not actually owned by Roberts. It's the Maui County bus system and is run by Robert's.)

Here's the link: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.asp?NID=609

beachchick

This is an old post (2008).... so does anyone know if this information is still viable/accurate? :confused: I want to go to Lahaina to shop and sightsee and if I can get there on public transportation via free shuttle to Hilo Hattie location, this would be perfect for me. :p Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will be on the POA docking in Maui on the opposite side of the island from Lahaina.

I haven't done this, but did look into the public transportation option to Lahaina for our trip last month. We decided it was way too time consuming (about 1.5 hours once you get on the bus vs. 45 min or so by car). Plus the shuttle and bus schedules to deal with (I remember them not running too late). Not something I wanted to deal with on vacation.

NCL's transportation option is quite inflexible as its only in the middle of the day, one drop off time and one pick up time (we wanted to go to Lahaina after a morning tour). Plus its expensive for multiple people.

The best option seems to be renting a car. We were going to do this in the afternoon after a tour, but ended up waiting way too long for the shuttle (as it was the afternoon, when you have to call), then got to the place and they had a line out the door (an international flight must have just come in?). We wouldn't have had any reasonable amount of time once we got to Lahaina.

It was going to be under $50 for the rental (plus gas) though, so not too bad. If you are going to rent a car in the morning, I think you wouldn't have the trouble we did though. Thrifty has no cancellation penalty (we didn't even have to put in a credit card number), so we were glad for that. Best wishes.

Archived