Tell me how Port Canaveral is?

knothead

We are looking at booking a cruise on the Mariner of the seas for next October out of Port Canaveral. I would like to know how congested it is, since this would be our first time to this port? Do they have the drop off service?( Hubby drops me & luggage off and then goes to a lot to park & be shuttled back to drop off area)

Anyone driven from Texas to this port? If so how many hours did it take you?

How many hours from Tallahasse FL?

If your driving and parking at the pier, we found Port Canaveral to be a breeze, especially when compared to MIami.

When you drive up into the pier area, Port Staff will direct you to the baggage drop off location. The drop off area consists with a number of "stalls" (think about how the old drive-in restaurants used to be), where you stop your car. The baggage handlers greet you at your car, unload your bags for you, and after the obligatory tip, point you toward the parking lot, which is right next door.

I loved this approach, because DW and my three kids stayed right in the car until we parked in the adjacent lot (which was right in front of the ship). A very short walk from the plentiful and secure parking area, and your right at the security line to enter the terminal. From the time we drove up to the pier until the time we passed through security took less than thirty minutes, and was very stress free.

Regarding the driving times you've asked for, I can't help you there. We drove up from South Florida, where we pre and post cruise vacationed.

We are looking at booking a cruise on the Mariner of the seas for next October out of Port Canaveral. I would like to know how congested it is, since this would be our first time to this port? Do they have the drop off service?( Hubby drops me & luggage off and then goes to a lot to park & be shuttled back to drop off area)

Anyone driven from Texas to this port? If so how many hours did it take you?

How many hours from Tallahasse FL?

From Dickinson,just north of Galveston it is 1032 miles.....16 hours driving time.

If you're pulling in the night before stay at Ron Jon. It's great! And if you need a great spot to eat, try Grills. It's an outdoor restaurant with great food, great prices and you can see the ships. Have a great time. I love Port Canaveral.

Kaykels:

Do you have the number for RON JON? If not what town is it in so I can look it up on net?

Thanks to for all the answers on mileage? Looks like we are headed for Port Canavarel next October, Lord willing!

Rhapsody 12/01

Splendour 03/04

Rhapsody 10/04

Upcoming

Mariner 10/05

knothead

Which sailing are you on? We are on the 16th Oct 05,and I am so excited :D

I have hundreds of questions but I am trying to limit them to one or two a day....we have a year :D

Sorry cant help with Ron Jon,maybe good idea to check Hotels board.

Liz

We too are cruising from Port Canaveral for the 2nd. time. It is a brand new port next to Disney's and the pre-cruise hotels are increasing and being updated, especially since Hurricane damage to a few of the hotels. It is a 45-50 minute drive from MCO - Orlando airport if you decide to fly. Meyers runs the cruise ship shuttles and there are many private transportation services plus car rentals available. Both Budget and Avis are represented close by the pier. Ron Jon's Caribe Resort is a brand new time share property. Try a search using the full title. It is a beautiful resort on the beach. It's especially a good value if there are more than 2 people; get a 2 bedroom unit.

I can't wait to go to Grills next week!

Bon Voyage

Ronjonresort.com I think might get the info you need.

Join our cruise and you could be with one of next years best group cruises-Reali-tini. :D

brn2crz

I am hoping you do great long in depth review when you get back :D

Hope you are going well with plans!

Liz

Just drove to Tallahassee from my place of work (SW Orlando) a few weeks ago....it took us 3 3/4 hours and that's with "go with the flow" (75-80 mph) driving. I can easily get to the port from work in an hour.

You should expect no more than 5 hours (probably a little less) from Tallahassee to the port.

Andy

I'm using my coupon!! That's why I cruise with RCI because I have COUPONS!!! I Have two more to go to be Diamond!! I'm just plain old GOLD now!!!!!! We live Southeast of Dallas by about 35 miles, So I think we are going to hop on I-20 and head east!

BRN2CRZ: What route did you take down to port?

bankofdad, was the line to get into the parking garage the same as the one to get to drop off? This is the way it was in Dec. and it was a mess trying to get back into the line. Took my DH almost 30 minutes just to get into the garage after we dropped off the luggage.

Hi pinkrosesdeb,

When we arrived, we were first stopped by a Port Staff member and asked if we were parking or dropping off luggage first. There may have been a few cars ahead of us, but everything moved right along, and we were at the luggage drop off within just a minute or two. After luggage drop off at one of the "stalls" (I would guess there was about thirty of them), we were directed to the outdoor parking area. We parked on the surface lot (not in the garage).

We did arrive somewhat early, around noon. Maybe that made a difference? I just know everything went like clockwork. Did you arrive a little later in the afternoon? We went through Port Canveral this past March, so it could be some changes were made as well since we had no problems at all.

I'm using my coupon!! That's why I cruise with RCI because I have COUPONS!!! I Have two more to go to be Diamond!! I'm just plain old GOLD now!!!!!! We live Southeast of Dallas by about 35 miles, So I think we are going to hop on I-20 and head east!

BRN2CRZ: What route did you take down to port?

All right!!! :) I have not seen you on the roll call.Come join us if you have not already.

I have not actually driven it,I mapquested it when we were considering driving.

I would guess you would do 20 into Shreveport,then have to head down to 10.

Our route would take us I-10 to,295 in FL,then drop down and over to I-95.

But ...I think we have ruled that out.(unless you have an RV,and want to rent some space :D ).. We looked at Amtrak,as we thought it would be great fun,and its pretty cheap...but at 32 hours and still ending up at Orlando...

Looks like its Southwest for us..

bankofdad, we were there around 11 am and it was really busy. The cars trying to drop off would pull in head first and then have to fight traffic to try and back out. After we finally made it in and unloaded, they flagged my husband back into the same line and into the parking garage. It was pretty disorganized at the time but it was also only the 7th or 8th cruise for this big ship and the port was learning! Thanks for the info, we are debating taking a cab this time to avoid the double line. I waited inside the terminal for my dh for almost 35 mins. before he could park and make his way back. We thought it would have been much easier if you could use the other end of the parking garage to enter.

Archived