Mariner Review - 8/31/08

hazeleyez3

Background Information

My husband and I are in our mid-30s (no kids) and have cruised on Carnival, Princess, and Norwegian. We knew we wanted to take a cruise for our anniversary this year and decided on RCI for two reasons:

• We both have wanted to try the line.
  • We used it as a “trial” for my mother… We had booked a 2009 transatlantic on the IOS last year as a 40th anniversary present to my parents, only to find out a few months later that my mother was having trouble with her legs. While the Mariner is a smaller ship, I was curious to see how she would do…if she did fine and thought she could do a larger ship, great, if not…well, I was going to find another cruise on one of their smaller ships.

I am happy to say that we will be sailing on the IOS next year. :)

Pre-Cruise

My husband and I flew on Air Tran from Baltimore to MCO on Saturday morning. I believe we got into Orlando and had our luggage by around 11am, and then went searching for Thrifty. After walking around awhile we found out that Thrifty is not at the airport so we went outside, and waited for about 20 minutes until the bus came. Luckily we signed up for BlueChip last year – when we got off the bus the “normal” line was already wrapping around to the outside, but there was no wait at the BlueChip counter so we got our car in about 5 minutes.

We drove down to the Radisson, which is only about an hour away, and dropped-off our luggage in the room. I had actually checked-in online on Friday night and made a note that we wanted a room on the top level looking out at the cruise ships. The online check-in was great. It was taking about 5 minutes/party to get fully checked-in at the front desk; however, once I gave them my name they gave me the keys and a map – took less then a minute. We also got the exact room I wanted – top level, and when you looked out you could see the cruise ships.

We then went searching for a place to eat breakfast/lunch (it’s about 1pm now). We ended up at The Omelet House, where we had some delicious fresh squeezed orange juice, and two unique omelets (they also had a good selection of pancakes, french toast, and waffles). They close at 2pm, but if you are in town before the cruise and are looking for a breakfast place I would highly recommend it. After we ate we stopped at a CVS to pick up some travel toiletries (we found this easier with all the new security regulations at the airports), and headed back to the Orlando area. My parents’ flight was getting in around 10pm, so we decided to head over to downtown Disney. We looked around at a few shops near the Pleasure Island area, had dinner at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant, and headed over to pick-up my parents.

Embarkation

The next morning we got up and met my parents outside around 9:15am (we had to have the car back by 11). We packed-up their luggage into the trunk, dropped them off at the port, went back to pick-up our stuff from the hotel, and drove back to the port to drop-off our luggage. We then filled-up the gas tank and went over to the Thrifty Cocoa Beach office. It was definitely not organized or managed properly, but we made it onto the bus which dropped us off at the port by around 10:30-11am. The embarkation process was very smooth and quick. Best of all, they eventually wound up with two lines – one for those that wanted the embarkation picture, and one that didn’t want it. Since we never even look at those pictures I was thrilled that we didn’t have to wait for everyone else to take theirs. I would say we were on the ship by noon.

We both thought she was absolutely gorgeous, but after about 30 minutes of my husband taking a picture every two seconds, I was getting a bit impatient and told him I was going up to the Windjammer for lunch. It was packed, but one of the things we liked was that while we were walking around looking for a place to sit, one of the crew members saw that I was having some difficulties with my plate (I have a very slight paralysis on my right side), took it, and helped us find a spot. After we were done eating we saw that some people were headed to their cabins, so we headed down to ours.

Cabin

We had a D2 Superior Balcony cabin. Plenty of room for us – had more then enough closet space, bathroom was good, and the balcony was a decent size. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have had, and we liked the fact that you could swivel the TV for the sofa or the bed.

Service

We could not be happier with the crew members. I don’t think I ever saw someone frown, and I know for a fact that I never encountered a rude employee. Like I mentioned before, we liked how they were in the Windjammer – coming around and asking if you needed something to drink, or try and tempt you with a cookie or ice cream. They did the same in the Café Promenade.

Food

Dining Room

I have read many people complain about the food; however, we never saw a problem. We were both thrilled with the selections (especially the chilled soups), and never had a meal we didn’t like. I have read a few people ask about the onion tart. While I didn’t get it, I did see it on the menu the 1st or 2nd night.

Windjammer

The food was good for it being a buffet

Café Promenade

This was my killer – I love cookies, especially the soft, freshly baked kind. Needless to say, I was down there every day for some. The sandwiches and pizzas were also good. Again, it being open 24/7 was a blessing and a curse (and my waist line can prove it).

Romance Package

I had ordered the standard romance package which was wonderful, and in my eyes, a steal – Bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, canapés before and after dinner one night, breakfast in bed one morning, and a free 8x10 picture in a frame.

Entertainment

We went to see the two main production shows (Front Row and Pure Energy), the ice show (Ice under the Big Top), and the Beatles Tribute. All of which were great.

The piano player (I think his name was Brian Blatz) was great!!! I am not a fan of the huge, loud sing-a-long bars, which are (unfortunately) very easily found. Although there were a few songs that people sang to, it wasn’t that many, and it wasn’t that loud. He was able to play all the genres – Ol’ Blue Eyes, Billy Joel, Toby Keith, and everything in between.

They had a “Name that Tune” session most days which was typically very crowded, but a lot of fun.

My father played Texas Hold ’Em, and became one of the “regulars” for the week. There was no dealer – each person had their own computer screen, and I never head anyone complain.

Ports

We skipped Coco Cay because of the storms, which was not a huge loss for me. I love sea days, and I wasn’t planning on doing much there anyways.

St Thomas

It was rather cloudy that day, and was raining pretty hard at times in the morning. We decided to stay in until around noon. We went into town, did some shopping, took the tram up to Paradise Point, had some lunch, and headed back to the ship.

St Marteen

It was an absolutely gorgeous day that you needed your sunglasses for. We, again, strolled into town to look at a few shops. We went to “That Yoda Guy’s” store (I think it has Planet in the actual store name). Fell in love with a few paintings, and looked around at all the Star Wars stuff he had. When we left we went over to a beach bar, had a few Guava berry Coladas, and just looked at the clear blue water on the beach.

Debarkation

This was probably the smoothest I have been through. We were called around 8:15, and were off to Thrifty around 9am. We got our car and headed back to downtown Disney. There was a shop that had a few things I knew a friend of mine would like, but I wanted to see what the islands had before I bought anything. I think I had bought her present by 10:45. Which was rather amusing because, based on past experiences, my husband was thinking we wouldn’t even get the car until 11.

Our flight was at 6, so we just strolled through Orlando, got a bite to eat, and headed back to Thrifty. Our flight was on time, so we made it back to our house around 9pm.

Summary

If you couldn’t tell by now, I had a wonderful cruise…probably my best/favorite in the 20 years I have been cruising, and April 2009 cannot come soon enough.

We aren’t ones that use a lot of the extras or perks like the spa, alcohol, soda, Johnny Rockets, or the specialty restaurants, but if you have other questions please feel free to ask.

Background Information

My husband and I are in our mid-30s (no kids) and have cruised on Carnival, Princess, and Norwegian. We knew we wanted to take a cruise for our anniversary this year and decided on RCI for two reasons:

• We both have wanted to try the line.
  • We used it as a “trial” for my mother… We had booked a 2009 transatlantic on the IOS last year as a 40th anniversary present to my parents, only to find out a few months later that my mother was having trouble with her legs. While the Mariner is a smaller ship, I was curious to see how she would do…if she did fine and thought she could do a larger ship, great, if not…well, I was going to find another cruise on one of their smaller ships.

I am happy to say that we will be sailing on the IOS next year. :)

Pre-Cruise

My husband and I flew on Air Tran from Baltimore to MCO on Saturday morning. I believe we got into Orlando and had our luggage by around 11am, and then went searching for Thrifty. After walking around awhile we found out that Thrifty is not at the airport so we went outside, and waited for about 20 minutes until the bus came. Luckily we signed up for BlueChip last year – when we got off the bus the “normal” line was already wrapping around to the outside, but there was no wait at the BlueChip counter so we got our car in about 5 minutes.

We drove down to the Radisson, which is only about an hour away, and dropped-off our luggage in the room. I had actually checked-in online on Friday night and made a note that we wanted a room on the top level looking out at the cruise ships. The online check-in was great. It was taking about 5 minutes/party to get fully checked-in at the front desk; however, once I gave them my name they gave me the keys and a map – took less then a minute. We also got the exact room I wanted – top level, and when you looked out you could see the cruise ships.

We then went searching for a place to eat breakfast/lunch (it’s about 1pm now). We ended up at The Omelet House, where we had some delicious fresh squeezed orange juice, and two unique omelets (they also had a good selection of pancakes, french toast, and waffles). They close at 2pm, but if you are in town before the cruise and are looking for a breakfast place I would highly recommend it. After we ate we stopped at a CVS to pick up some travel toiletries (we found this easier with all the new security regulations at the airports), and headed back to the Orlando area. My parents’ flight was getting in around 10pm, so we decided to head over to downtown Disney. We looked around at a few shops near the Pleasure Island area, had dinner at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant, and headed over to pick-up my parents.

Embarkation

The next morning we got up and met my parents outside around 9:15am (we had to have the car back by 11). We packed-up their luggage into the trunk, dropped them off at the port, went back to pick-up our stuff from the hotel, and drove back to the port to drop-off our luggage. We then filled-up the gas tank and went over to the Thrifty Cocoa Beach office. It was definitely not organized or managed properly, but we made it onto the bus which dropped us off at the port by around 10:30-11am. The embarkation process was very smooth and quick. Best of all, they eventually wound up with two lines – one for those that wanted the embarkation picture, and one that didn’t want it. Since we never even look at those pictures I was thrilled that we didn’t have to wait for everyone else to take theirs. I would say we were on the ship by noon.

We both thought she was absolutely gorgeous, but after about 30 minutes of my husband taking a picture every two seconds, I was getting a bit impatient and told him I was going up to the Windjammer for lunch. It was packed, but one of the things we liked was that while we were walking around looking for a place to sit, one of the crew members saw that I was having some difficulties with my plate (I have a very slight paralysis on my right side), took it, and helped us find a spot. After we were done eating we saw that some people were headed to their cabins, so we headed down to ours.

Cabin

We had a D2 Superior Balcony cabin. Plenty of room for us – had more then enough closet space, bathroom was good, and the balcony was a decent size. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have had, and we liked the fact that you could swivel the TV for the sofa or the bed.

Service

We could not be happier with the crew members. I don’t think I ever saw someone frown, and I know for a fact that I never encountered a rude employee. Like I mentioned before, we liked how they were in the Windjammer – coming around and asking if you needed something to drink, or try and tempt you with a cookie or ice cream. They did the same in the Café Promenade.

Food

Dining Room

I have read many people complain about the food; however, we never saw a problem. We were both thrilled with the selections (especially the chilled soups), and never had a meal we didn’t like. I have read a few people ask about the onion tart. While I didn’t get it, I did see it on the menu the 1st or 2nd night.

Windjammer

The food was good for it being a buffet

Café Promenade

This was my killer – I love cookies, especially the soft, freshly baked kind. Needless to say, I was down there every day for some. The sandwiches and pizzas were also good. Again, it being open 24/7 was a blessing and a curse (and my waist line can prove it).

Romance Package

I had ordered the standard romance package which was wonderful, and in my eyes, a steal – Bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, canapés before and after dinner one night, breakfast in bed one morning, and a free 8x10 picture in a frame.

Entertainment

We went to see the two main production shows (Front Row and Pure Energy), the ice show (Ice under the Big Top), and the Beatles Tribute. All of which were great.

The piano player (I think his name was Brian Blatz) was great!!! I am not a fan of the huge, loud sing-a-long bars, which are (unfortunately) very easily found. Although there were a few songs that people sang to, it wasn’t that many, and it wasn’t that loud. He was able to play all the genres – Ol’ Blue Eyes, Billy Joel, Toby Keith, and everything in between.

They had a “Name that Tune” session most days which was typically very crowded, but a lot of fun.

My father played Texas Hold ’Em, and became one of the “regulars” for the week. There was no dealer – each person had their own computer screen, and I never head anyone complain.

Ports

We skipped Coco Cay because of the storms, which was not a huge loss for me. I love sea days, and I wasn’t planning on doing much there anyways.

St Thomas

It was rather cloudy that day, and was raining pretty hard at times in the morning. We decided to stay in until around noon. We went into town, did some shopping, took the tram up to Paradise Point, had some lunch, and headed back to the ship.

St Marteen

It was an absolutely gorgeous day that you needed your sunglasses for. We, again, strolled into town to look at a few shops. We went to “That Yoda Guy’s” store (I think it has Planet in the actual store name). Fell in love with a few paintings, and looked around at all the Star Wars stuff he had. When we left we went over to a beach bar, had a few Guava berry Coladas, and just looked at the clear blue water on the beach.

Debarkation

This was probably the smoothest I have been through. We were called around 8:15, and were off to Thrifty around 9am. We got our car and headed back to downtown Disney. There was a shop that had a few things I knew a friend of mine would like, but I wanted to see what the islands had before I bought anything. I think I had bought her present by 10:45. Which was rather amusing because, based on past experiences, my husband was thinking we wouldn’t even get the car until 11.

Our flight was at 6, so we just strolled through Orlando, got a bite to eat, and headed back to Thrifty. Our flight was on time, so we made it back to our house around 9pm.

Summary

If you couldn’t tell by now, I had a wonderful cruise…probably my best/favorite in the 20 years I have been cruising, and April 2009 cannot come soon enough.

We aren’t ones that use a lot of the extras or perks like the spa, alcohol, soda, Johnny Rockets, or the specialty restaurants, but if you have other questions please feel free to ask.

Great review, we will sailing on the Mariner this Sunday, and we will be sailing with you guys on the IOS transatlantic in April

Glad you had such a great time. That Yoda Guy store was really cool. Did you get to meet the artist? He was so nice. My husband is a huge Star Wars fan so it was a big thrill for him.

We met him, and talked for quite awhile with him and his wife. My husband laughed because although I am not a huge Star Wars fan, I spent a long time reading all the contracts, story boards, drafts, and general info on the make-up process.

Great review, we will sailing on the Mariner this Sunday, and we will be sailing with you guys on the IOS transatlantic in April

Ahh.. yes, now the researching begins for the IOS. The boards were so helpful with the Mariner, that I know I'll get a ton of good info for April

We used it as a “trial” for my mother… We had booked a 2009 transatlantic on the IOS last year as a 40th anniversary present to my parents, only to find out a few months later that my mother was having trouble with her legs. While the Mariner is a smaller ship, I was curious to see how she would do…if she did fine and thought she could do a larger ship, great, if not…well, I was going to find another cruise on one of their smaller ships.

Compared to?

The Ronald Reagan (CVN76) is 1092 ft in length.

The MOS is 1020 ft in length.

When she was moored in the port of Cozumel next to us she looked humongous!

Well, if you had actually read the full paragraph instead of just that one line you would have seen I was talking about the IOS. So...if you want to spit out facts, why not add the info for the IOS as well...then tell me which is larger.

Mariner

Passenger Capacity: 3,114

Gross Tonnage: 138,000

Length: 1020'

Max Beam: 157.5'

IOSs.gifPassenger Capacity: 3,634

Gross Tonnage: 160,000

Length: 1,112'

Max Beam: 184'

s.gif

s.gif

Thanks for the review. Was booked on your sailing but had to cancel 5 days before the cruise because my SO's daughter had a bad accident and had to cancel at the last minute. I feel like I get to live the cruise thru your review. Glad you had a good time and except for CoCoCay, the hurricanes left you alone.

Dave

Great summary review!

We also cruised on the Aug 31st sailing. It was our first cruise and there were 4 of us (two adults and two children (14 yr and 11 yr old).

We had a Superior Balcony Cabin as well.

I will definitely sail again with Royal Caribbean. The ship is beautiful and very well maintained, the food is good, the service incredible. I slept soooooo great! It was difficult to pull myself out of bed each day.

I have so many great things to say about the cruise - not enough time to write at this moment. If anybody has questions - I will try and answer them.

My daughters had a blast in the teen club, they met several other girls and hung out every day together.

The shows were good - we saw Ice Under the Big Top, Love and Marriage game show, Quest, Revolution and a singer (can't remember his name) he was OK.

Rock climbing wall was awesome and challenging - took one of my daughters ice skating (on Tuesday when the seas were very rough) and we had no problems.

We did everything we possibly could while on board and there was never a dull moment - unless we wanted one!

Looking forward to cruising again!

Archived