Family Ocean View Stateroom or Inside

Emaldy24

I have booked a Family Ocean View Stateroom next year on the Brilliance of the Seas for a Med cruise. RCCL recently had a price drop and because of this I was thinking of changing to an inside cabin. I know that the size is significantly smaller however since it is a port intensive cruise will we be miserable with this type of room or just not be in the room often enough. We are 6 in total but will be 4 and 2 if we change rooms. Since it is a 12 night cruise I don't want to be miserable however it is my first cruise and don't know the difference. Since we paying for 4 people the cost would be cheaper too just looking for some advice. Again I know the bigger room is nicer but will I hate the inside cabin if I choose to go this route? Help??? First time cruiser....:o

If the 4 are kids and the 2 are adults, that would be the way to go! Privacy for the parents, and let the kids have their own space (as small as it is!)

I would rather have my privacy, than have 6 people all piled into one room--despite it's "family suite" status!

Will you hate it? Not if you don't have any prior cruise experience in which to compare. You will love being on a cruise ship!

Weigh your pros/cons - ocean view, all together, one bathroom, vs. two bathrooms, some privacy (for those 2 anyway) and money saved. Which is worth more to YOU?

I agree that the two bathrooms are better than one. Also something to consider is whether anyone in your party is prone to motion sickness. You can feel alot of movement in those forward family cabins. We stayed in one last time and for our next cruise we chose connecting, mid-ship cabins.

Interior room for 12 days:eek:

I had to come back to edit this cause i didn't know that the family room has only one bathroom. Never being on a cruise before, I am not sure you know how difficult sharing one bathroom for 6 people is going to be.....ship bathrooms are pretty small....I would go with 2 rooms for sure just for that reason.

My children and I loved the family oceanview. We liked it much better than 2 connecting balconies on our subsequent cruise. Even though we had 100 sq. ft more with the connecting rooms, it felt more claustrophobic to me. With the smaller staterooms, there was hardly any floor space or nooks to have a little privacy. The kids were always underfoot. We didn't need 2 bathrooms. In our FOV on the Navigator, there was an alcove with 2 bunkbeds which the kids loved. Each had their privacy and so did mom. I would stay with the family oceanview, but then none of us spend that much time in the bathroom.

Just wanted to share that I did the Brillance in the Med two years ago with my then 9 year old and two sisters. Yep it was crowded but the cruise is so port intensive you barely spend time there and I would say go for it. We also liked having the inside room on such a busy cruise as it made it easier to adjust to the time change and to sleep when you want since those rooms are so dark. This was especially good for my son who is no fun to be around when he does not get enough sleep. I learned that lesson on our No. Europe trip where it was light until after 10 pm.

I'm confused but that's not unusual. Two rooms would always be better for the extra bathroom definitely but are you trying to put 4 people in an inside? I was in an inside in July with 2 older teen girls. It was okay but it was only for 5 days and required coodination (showers getting dressed for dinner, etc). I'm not sure I could do 12 days with 4 in an inside - awful claustrophobic. Twelve days requires a lot of extra clothes and "stuff".

I've seen the suggestion to use the showers in the spa/gym area when staying in an inside with 4 people, although I've never tried it myself.

It's one way to enable everyone to get ready at the same time.

good luck and enjoy your first cruise

Wendy

But it is a 12 day med cruise so again it is port intensive, so are we really in the room that much?

I am leaning towards the inside cabin just due to the cost. We can use the saved money for excursions. It's about 700.00 difference. That's almost a plane ticket. I agree if it less port intensive the inside may be a clastophobic but I figured we are going to be on a port almost everyday then we get back shower then eat...Then we pretty much will see a show or just sleep due to the day we had.

Thanks again all of you for your help..I will ponder a bit more but I think for cost savings the inside maybe the way to go....

Thanks again all of you for your help..I will ponder a bit more but I think for cost savings the inside maybe the way to go....

There you go, problem solved.

I would over sleep and my circadian rhythm gets knocked out of whack so i don't care for inside. If you take a nap you'll definatly over sleep because you can't tell day from night.

Archived